Boeing F-15EX/QA and related variants

I'm actually fine with not changing the name, but I do wish they'd gone with F-15F or 15G or something that fit the normal numbering convention. I honestly didn't think's name needed to change at all, but then again I suppose Echos are 'Strike Eagles' so some slighter permutation of the name was called for.
me too

should have just called it
F-15F and leave it at Eagle still.
or Super Eagle as past traditions (Super Tomcat, Super Hornet, Super Man), etc

Mostly agree with the rest, could have been worse. But could have been better, too: F-15F indeed, or Super Eagle.

The lettering system has long gone down the drain. Once, A, B, C and D meant: 1st gen, single seat, 1gen, two-seat, improved, single-seat, improved, two-seat. Since then letters = country.

I'm just browsing through this thread and can't really see if they've included more composites in the new design? Weight savings, more range, higher performance would be the goal of course. Was there some mention of it that I missed or are they closer to enhanced (better avionics) F-15Es?

on a somewaht related note

there's news that Japan's quest to integrate a long range cruise missile on their F-15s, is suspended, due to Boeing's insanely high price jump. Boeing says it cant be helped due to low supply of parts

I wonder if this is an indirect way to push Japan to the EX instead.
can the EX launch long range missiles?

I am sceptical about supply of parts, that has to do with several factors like demand and the storage of parts, it would not make sense to have a shortage of parts when you want to sell more aircraft. Way back when the banking crisis first began, I got a call from my bank saying, "We have to renegotiate your overdraft", something they had insisted was on the account. They then proceeded to charge me £50. How many customers and how many £50 charges? One way to reduce your losses, fleece the customer some more.

I'm just browsing through this thread and can't really see if they've included more composites in the new design? Weight savings, more range, higher performance would be the goal of course. Was there some mention of it that I missed or are they closer to enhanced (better avionics) F-15Es?
New wing (with composites skin), New avionics (including EPAWSS defensive suite), FBW and improved saddle bags essentially.

So the F-15EX is now to be known as the Eagle 2. Why not call it the Ultra Eagle or Advanced Eagle? I doubt the powers that be in the USAF were having trouble trying to get a suitable name for the F-15EX and Eagle 2 was all that they could come up with.

So the F-15EX is now to be known as the Eagle 2. Why not call it the Ultra Eagle or Advanced Eagle? I doubt the powers that be in the USAF were having trouble trying to get a suitable name for the F-15EX and Eagle 2 was all that they could come up with.
Does show a bit of a lack of imagination. What about the F-15 Grande? F-15XXL? Would make designating future versions easier. :D

Does show a bit of a lack of imagination. What about the F-15 Grande? F-15XXL? Would make designating future versions easier. :D

F-15 Uber ? (would fit well with 2020 ideology... !)

F-15 Uber ? (would fit well with 2020 ideology... !)

Any of those names would be better than Eagle 2.

Eagle two - "igletou" or "higeultou" - sounds equally lame in French. Y gueule tout le temps !

Reminds me of George W. Bush (double-u Bush) being called "Dabeliou" in France... ain't that cute ?

Was there ever a practice of giving citizens a poll where they can choose/propose name?

Was there ever a practice of giving citizens a poll where they can choose/propose name?
Not in the US to my knowledge. Plus I wouldn't want to trust the citizens with that...look at Boaty McBoat Face.

I cannot imagine the USAF letting the new F-15 be called the Fighter McFight Face. :eek:

Mostly agree with the rest, could have been worse. But could have been better, too: F-15F indeed, or Super Eagle.

The lettering system has long gone down the drain. Once, A, B, C and D meant: 1st gen, single seat, 1gen, two-seat, improved, single-seat, improved, two-seat. Since then letters = country.

That was a pretty small window, honestly -- just three types that use that ABCD convention. And it was not without critics when it happened. For example, the F-15B was originally the TF-15A, which is more consistent to how things were done before. And now we find aircraft with totally different roles and equipment that have the same suffix letter (the two very different versions of F/A-18D, in particular.)

My impression is that the suffix letters are mostly meaningless in the actual DoD logistics and maintenance tracking systems and Block or equivalent numbers are the only ones that actually matter.

I guess "X" is for "Xanadu", as launch customer.
Perhaps, next one would be Shangri-La? F-15FS sounds logical for this case.

on a somewaht related note

there's news that Japan's quest to integrate a long range cruise missile on their F-15s, is suspended, due to Boeing's insanely high price jump. Boeing says it cant be helped due to low supply of parts

I wonder if this is an indirect way to push Japan to the EX instead.
can the EX launch long range missiles?

Would JASDF have the budget to buy new F-15EXs?

If I were JASDF, I'd use the money to opt for a more conservative upgrade of their F-15Js, use the money to buy more F-35s, or use the money to better fund F-3 and perhaps push it along just a little bit faster.

Because while the cost for upgrading their F-15Js to the "JSI" standard may be expensive, I cannot imagine new build F-15EXs are any cheaper.
The only way I could see JASDF going for new build F-15EXs is if they are willing to buy a smaller number of F-15EXs than the number of F-15JSIs they wanted, or if they wanted a similar number of F-15EXs to the number of F-15EXs they wanted to upgrade then they would have to fork up more money overall. Neither option is unreasonable but neither is particularly comfortable either.

My only pet peeve is that’s it’s not a wholly new airframe so Eagle II doesn’t even make sense.

It’s not like the Silent Eagle that Boeing were trying to sell a few years ago, it is just a standard Eagle airframe. Though I take it that there will be a brand new AESA radar installed?

So the Eagle 2 has a much more modern radar with the APG-82 (V-1) AESA instead of the original on the Strike Eagle.

So the Eagle 2 has a much more modern radar with the APG-82 (V-1) AESA instead of the original on the Strike Eagle.
82 is AESA from day 1) And was installed on 15E for some time already, so 15E id's not just limited to legacy 70.

Not so (sorry) :
The AN/APG-82(V)1 combines the processor of the APG-79 used on the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet with the antenna of the APG-63(V)3 AESA from the F-15C for the F-15E.[7] The new radar also includes a new cooling system and Radio Frequency Tunable Filters (RFTF). RFTF is designed to enable the radar and the electronic warfare hardware (jamming) to operate simultaneously without degrading each other.[8] The new radar is currently being installed in the F-15E under the Radar Modernization Program (RMP).[9] In 2009, the proposed APG-63(V)4 radar was designated APG-82(V)1.[10] From 2017, Israel selected the APG-82(V)1 to install in its F-15Is.[11] In late October 2019 the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency approved a possible sale to Japan of up to 103 APG-82(v)1 radars for the upgrade of 98 Mitsubishi F-15Js to a "Japanese Super Interceptor" (JSI) configuration.[12]

The APG-63(V)3 radar is a more modern variant of the APG-63(V)2, applying the same AESA technology utilized in Raytheon's APG-79. The (V)3 is currently being retrofitted into F-15C/D and deployed in Singapore's new F-15SG aircraft and Saudi Arabia's new F-15SA aircraft. Raytheon delivered the first prototype APG-63(V)3 system in June 2006.[2] The company started work on an initial production order in October 2007.[3]
Source: Wiki