Boeing F-15EX/QA and related variants

"Buying new F-15X fighters for the US Air Force is unsolicited and unwise"
By: Gen. John Michael Loh (ret.)

Source:
https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/commentary/2019/03/04/buying-new-f-15x-fighters-for-the-us-air-force-is-unsolicited-and-unwise/

I have to say that having revisited the issue I can see the argument in a different light. If the cost per unit can be reduced and squadrons equipped faster, then the F-35 should be the sole acquisition over 4th gen equipment. Mainly this change of mind is driven by the growth of China as a threat and the goal of using money more responsibly. Sending pilots out in older, less capable aircraft should only be considered as a last resort and when the threat justifies it. Not much of a stretch to say that F-35 now has an improved ability to prove itself against alternatives.

EIsTsPAW4AAOu_r.jpg

FY20 - USAF will start work for MUOS Satcom integration on the F-15C/D and F-15E

Last edited:
Today at St Louis, Qatari Emir Air Force Boeing F-15QA made its first flight ✈️)

chers

In a strange coincidence, I just posted the FlightGlobal story on that just now in another thread.

Nothing that I have read so far mentions anything specific but elevators skins are made of composites since Eagle inception, that we know. Here it does appear as if they are sharing the same revetement. So either the wing is now made of old epoxy matrix or everything was re-designed.

There are some comments in the article below about the F-15QA wing being a new structural design with old aerodynamics.

https://www.flightglobal.com/helico...15s-pave-upgrade-path-for-usaf/127193.article

In an interview with FlightGlobal on 22 February, Parker also confirmed the F-15QA also will be delivered with a redesigned wing that strengthens the internal structure without changing the aerodynamics,. The redesign was made possible by using advanced new manufacturing techniques developed within Boeing in the last few years, he adds.

Is it just me or does the rudders look like they are cant out like on the Stealth eagle?

I can understand why, some RCS reduction for basically no cost will be like if only to make it just a tiny bit harder to see and hit through Jamming...

Is it just me or does the rudders look like they are cant out like on the Stealth eagle?

I can understand why, some RCS reduction for basically no cost will be like if only to make it just a tiny bit harder to see and hit through Jamming...

It's just you. F-15EX has the same outer mold line at the F-15E. No changes to the shape of the wings, tails, fine, etc.

quite frankly, most of the Eagle variants look mostly the same to me. its hard to tell the difference. perhaps the Es and beyond are slightly easier due to the fuel tanks on the side of the intakes, but those are removeable and, when in those situations i can't really tell.

the Flanker family in contrast, is easier to distinguish between most models. Knaapo models have square tip fins, SMs, MKMs, MKIs, MKA have canards, etc and etc

quite frankly, most of the Eagle variants look mostly the same to me. its hard to tell the difference. perhaps the Es and beyond are slightly easier due to the fuel tanks on the side of the intakes, but those are removeable and, when in those situations i can't really tell.

the Flanker family in contrast, is easier to distinguish between most models. Knaapo models have square tip fins, SMs, MKMs, MKIs, MKA have canards, etc and etc
F-15Cs can carry them too:

f989eed33bd698eddf365551a41d7d1c.jpg

26175735490_bc33a34e98_b.jpg

The total cost is about half that of restarting F22 production (according to the 2016 estimate). Did they need these airframes to carry new large hypersonic weapons under wing? Because it sure would have been nice to have more F22 than more F-15. What is F-15 pylon capabilities compared to F22?

In addition to simply being a replacement for the Air Force's existing F-15C/Ds, the F-15EX will also be able to act as a weapon truck and be able to carry the kind of large hypersonic weapons that are in development, but that will not fit inside a fifth-generation fighter weapons bay. This is something Boeing specifically highlighted in its press release regarding the new Air Force contract. "The F-15EX carries more weapons than any other fighter in its class and can launch hypersonic weapons up to 22 feet long and weighing up to 7,000 pounds," the statement said.

F-15 and F-22 have 5,000lb pylons. However we've seen heavier munitions on both the F-15 wing stations (Silver Sparrow) and centerline (Boeing missile concept).

F-15 and F-22 have 5,000lb pylons. However we've seen heavier munitions on both the F-15 wing stations (Silver Sparrow) and centerline (Boeing missile concept).
Well there it is, they found a good excuse to keep Boeing alive. I'm sure Lockheed said "Wait a minute, we can make shorter, lighter, hypersonic weapons"!

Well there it is, they found a good excuse to keep Boeing alive. I'm sure Lockheed said "Wait a minute, we can make shorter, lighter, hypersonic weapons"!

You neglect operational costs. The F-15s have lower operating costs than the F-22s and higher reliability rates.

The total cost is about half that of restarting F22 production (according to the 2016 estimate). Did they need these airframes to carry new large hypersonic weapons under wing? Because it sure would have been nice to have more F22 than more F-15. What is F-15 pylon capabilities compared to F22?

What figure are you using for F-22 production? Trying to restart that line would require a redesign so thorough it would be a new aircraft. F-15X is a design with an active line that is producing planes for allies.

It sounds as though the AGM-183 might be within the upper range to be carried on the center line station.

I don't think the carriage of large hypersonic weapons externally is a good argument for more F-22s. They would probably ruin it's radar signature.

Maybe these questions has been asked or even answered before, but will the F-15EX for the USAF be a single-seat or a (an optional) tandem-seat fighter jet? I know allready, the front fuselage is built like the latest variant/version of the F-15E Strike Eagle. If flown then as a single-seat, will the place for the back-seat, where the WSO or second pilot would normally sit in a F-15B, F-15D and F-15E, just be covered up or will be an extra fuel tank/bladder or extra avionics installed? Similar as with the Russian MiG-35 family (K->KUB).

AIUI they are all to be built as full two seaters. BUT I'm not clear about who will fill that second seat. I've read somewhere that the intention is that they will be flown as single seaters in the air to air role, and evidenced by artists impressions on the Boeing website, but at some point the back seat will be used in some kind of battle management role as drones come along.

AIUI they are all to be built as full two seaters. BUT I'm not clear about who will fill that second seat. I've read somewhere that the intention is that they will be flown as single seaters in the air to air role, and evidenced by artists impressions on the Boeing website, but at some point the back seat will be used in some kind of battle management role as drones come along.

Maybe they'll finally get a "Pilot's Associate".

maxresdefault-7.jpg

Starting off probably so, but as the B-21 puts B-1 WSO's out of a job don't be surprised to see the EX's get a backseater...

You neglect operational costs. The F-15s have lower operating costs than the F-22s and higher reliability rates.

Given that the F-15QA has just flown (minus EPAWSS which has its own unknown O&S) any claims on O&S are just that.

I don't think it is a big stretch of the imagination to assume the latest F-15s have a lower cost per hour of flight than an F-22. We don't have hard numbers yet, but I'd bet you my life savings if you were interested. The F-22 and B-2 have the lowest availability rates of the fleet as far as I know.

Last edited:
So this is the new F-15EX topic.
Some of these updates might be installed on older or new built F-15S for Saudi-Arabia, Japanese F-15J and on Israeli F-15I.
Most of what is on EX is already in the Saudi and Qatar Eagles, Singapore too (new builds). Much of the testing/certification related costs were covered by those aircraft.

Seems like a new "deal of a century" - for the F-15... I would never, ever believed I would see new F-15 sales in my lifetime. I thought that one was finished.

Boeing obstination since, what, 2001 ? finally paid. And will pay further.

Why don't they replace the 20mm m61 Vulcan with the 25mm Gau 22 / A? As another future update, it could be the replacement of current engines with two GE adaptive cycle engines.

Last edited: