• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing's New F-15EX

trose213

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
30-40 million a bird.

Holmes:

View: https://youtu.be/7du-vfIWl2A?t=2814

auto-transcript (slightly cleaned up):

The f-15c is a prime example of that the airplane has structural problems that will require replacement
of major structural members the launcher on that run lengthwise in the airplane followed by the wings being replaced and
then followed by bulkheads on the center fuselage which means it'd be better to buy a new airplane than to try to work
through those repairs that's important walk through we originally budgeted approximately a million per plane after
the knowledge that came through long structural what does that take the number up to well so the the the exact
number will depend on the time that you. go after but that million per plane was based on fuselage longerons and as
you add the wings and the fuselage into it the initial estimates we dealt with we're in the tens of millions per
airplane I think as we work with the prime contractor now you can get that number probably down around 10 million
or so per airplane
but that's in a estimation you don't really know until you open the airplanes up

F-22 Restart Study:

View attachment 639315

That's just for the fuselage.

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
30-40 million a bird.

Holmes:

View: https://youtu.be/7du-vfIWl2A?t=2814

auto-transcript (slightly cleaned up):

The f-15c is a prime example of that the airplane has structural problems that will require replacement
of major structural members the launcher on that run lengthwise in the airplane followed by the wings being replaced and
then followed by bulkheads on the center fuselage which means it'd be better to buy a new airplane than to try to work
through those repairs that's important walk through we originally budgeted approximately a million per plane after
the knowledge that came through long structural what does that take the number up to well so the the the exact
number will depend on the time that you. go after but that million per plane was based on fuselage longerons and as
you add the wings and the fuselage into it the initial estimates we dealt with we're in the tens of millions per
airplane I think as we work with the prime contractor now you can get that number probably down around 10 million
or so per airplane
but that's in a estimation you don't really know until you open the airplanes up

F-22 Restart Study:

View attachment 639315

That's just for the fuselage.

He says wings and fuselage. And per the FY19 budget, that R&D included the new wing.

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
A must read. Complete much of the debates we had here and elsewhere around having EX or not.

1120_Tirpak_002_F15EX.jpg

Last edited:

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
Four bombs on the CFT’s, one centerline, and one on each wing. No way it’s practical. Maybe with a cold day, 10,000ft strip and a tanker overhead.

kitnut617

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
According to Boeing's website on the F-15, maximum 'weapons' payload is 29,500 lb. Seven 2000lbers is only 14,000 lb

Josh_TN

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Not practical but definitely within the MTOW by a wide margin. Echos in the sand box have been filmed dripping with a Swiss Army knife of ordnance.

Bhurki

Reaction score
Can the EX win in India?
Its just a formality, in the process of declaring EX and its modules exportable without specific country based adjustments.
Similar things happen whenever a new fighter type is to be declared FMS compliant, like the viper 60 etc.

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Good Day All -

I was there yesterday - first day out of quarantine and Boeing flew a bunch of aircraft for me :) F-15QA 006 and 008 flew, 008 for the first time and without CFTs and later a Kuwaiti F/A-18E went up as well. Catbird flew off to Palmdale and EX flew early afternoon. Felt great to be out of the house, in the sun and listening, and feeling!, jet engines!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zMG_0003.jpg
    zMG_0003.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 53
  • zMG_0024.jpg
    zMG_0024.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 51
  • zMG_0103.jpg
    zMG_0103.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 50
  • zMG_0108.jpg
    zMG_0108.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 49
  • zMG_0141.jpg
    zMG_0141.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 51
  • zMG_0146.jpg
    zMG_0146.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 59
  • zMG_0250.jpg
    zMG_0250.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 58
  • zMG_0284.jpg
    zMG_0284.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 59
  • zMG_0286.jpg
    zMG_0286.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 54
  • zMG_0362.jpg
    zMG_0362.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 58

Anduriel

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Question: why does 15EX use GE-129 engines with thrust of 13.1 tons instead of more powerful GE-132 egines that have 14.5 tons?
F-15EX has CFTs by default and new quadruple racks are also more draggy compared to dual missile pylons?

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Although a formidable airframe, the EX is not there to bring anything in the kinetics performances of the already formidable Eagle family. The goal are cost/performances and reliability. Hence, IMOHO, no new engines.

Sundog

Reaction score
Question: why does 15EX use GE-129 engines with thrust of 13.1 tons instead of more powerful GE-132 egines that have 14.5 tons?
F-15EX has CFTs by default and new quadruple racks are also more draggy compared to dual missile pylons?

It's most likely due to the mass flow requirement of the GE-132 to generate that amount of thrust. They would have to redesign the inlets for the higher mass flow rate, which would require a massive redesign of the airframe.

Sundog

Reaction score
Good Day All -

I was there yesterday - first day out of quarantine and Boeing flew a bunch of aircraft for me :) F-15QA 006 and 008 flew, 008 for the first time and without CFTs and later a Kuwaiti F/A-18E went up as well. Catbird flew off to Palmdale and EX flew early afternoon. Felt great to be out of the house, in the sun and listening, and feeling!, jet engines!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Hi Mark, do you have any idea what program the Catbird is flying in support of right now?
Ken

fightingirish

Reaction score
Video:
View: https://youtu.be/kJEQse4Aq4Q

Boeing said:
Boeing F-15EX First Flight
Welcome to the skies, F-15EX! Get an EX-cellent view of the #F15EX as it completes its first flight. The fighter aircraft is built on a digital thread, allowing the U.S. Air Force to add future tech and upgrade capabilities. [...]
Source:
Code:
https://youtu.be/kJEQse4Aq4Q

Without background music:
View: https://youtu.be/RkD94RL4h5k

Code:
https://youtu.be/RkD94RL4h5k

Last edited:

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Good Day All -

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Hi Mark, do you have any idea what program the Catbird is flying in support of right now?
Ken
Hi Ken -

No idea - they are rather mum about its movements and work effort. I was rather surprised it ended up residing here in St. Louis - seems to be in Palmdale or at Edwards a lot. Here, it is under a "temporary" canopy rather than in a proper hangar. One of these days there will be a hail or wind storm and all bets off....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

elmayerle

Reaction score
I suspect that the GE-132 engines were developed specifically for the F-16E/F for UAE and development was paid for by UAE, so any use elsewhere would require a royalty be paid to UAE. IIRC, F-16E/F was a strictly commercial sale with minimal US government involvement.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
@Grey Havoc : To my knowledge, the EX is significantly lower priced that the Rafale (outside of any free airframe tricks).
Hence if the goal was to negociate a bargain, IN MoD would have reverted or at least altered the balance b/w Rafale and F-15X (resp. 36 and 8).

Last edited:

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
Indonesia's diversity will soon eclipse India's procurement
F-16A/B Block 15 upgrade
F-16C/D Block 25 upgrade
Su-27
Su-30
Hawk 200
T-50
Super Tucano
AH-64E
~potential acquisitions~
Su-35
Rafale
Ex-Austrian Eurofighters
V-22
F-15EX

The palm oil business must be doing very well?

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
More like a combination of "I'll buy said platform and then have it operational for 2 - 4yrs under a warranty period before it ends up grounded through lack of maintenance support/spares" + "this is some good political chest beating".

To the former, I know they have been having trouble keeping even their T-50s, Hawks and Super Tucanos in the air in recent years.

Maro.Kyo

Reaction score
Indonesia's diversity will soon eclipse India's procurement
F-16A/B Block 15 upgrade
F-16C/D Block 25 upgrade
Su-27
Su-30
Hawk 200
T-50
Super Tucano
AH-64E
~potential acquisitions~
Su-35
Rafale
Ex-Austrian Eurofighters
V-22
F-15EX

The palm oil business must be doing very well?
AFAIK the F-15EX they are planning to buy are using the carry-over budget which was originally allocated for the procurement of Su-35s from 2018, hence the small number of only 8 jets.

Austrian Typhoons were also one of the options they looked into for this replacement but soon fell through because of parliamentary opposition.

I really doubt that they could afford V-22s, which costed Japan a total program cost of $ 3 billion for 17 Ospreys. I've heard that the flyaway cost of these birds are way cheaper than that which should mean that the supporting infrastructure for the tilt-rotor structure is surely very expensive and also it just costs more when sold over seas in general.

So it should just be

F-16A/B Block 15 upgrade
F-16C/D Block 25 upgrade
Su-27
Su-30
Hawk 200
T-50i upgrade (upgrading to FA-50 equivalent)
Super Tucano
AH-64E

~potential acquisitions~
Rafale
F-15EX

I've also heard that they are planning to replace Hawks soon with something else but I'm not so sure if that's correct.

Should admit that its still a very wide range of aircraft they are using and going to use.

stealthflanker

Reaction score
AFAIK the F-15EX they are planning to buy are using the carry-over budget which was originally allocated for the procurement of Su-35s from 2018, hence the small number of only 8 jets.

Austrian Typhoons were also one of the options they looked into for this replacement but soon fell through because of parliamentary opposition.

I really doubt that they could afford V-22s, which costed Japan a total program cost of $ 3 billion for 17 Ospreys. I've heard that the flyaway cost of these birds are way cheaper than that which should mean that the supporting infrastructure for the tilt-rotor structure is surely very expensive and also it just costs more when sold over seas in general.

So it should just be

F-16A/B Block 15 upgrade
F-16C/D Block 25 upgrade
Su-27
Su-30
Hawk 200
Super Tucano
AH-64E

~potential acquisitions~
Rafale
F-15EX

I've also heard that they are planning to replace Hawks soon with something else but I'm not so sure if that's correct.

Should admit that its still a very wide range of aircraft they are using and going to use.

The KFX is the projected replacement for Hawks.

Relying on media or even our own officials are not really a good indicator on what being bought like what happened with Su-35 which contract they never cancel but never made effective either, same as Kilo class submarine which contracted but never made effective but they choose to screwing around trying to find used Kilo class which obviously not in good condition, while Russian actually offered new 636's back then with state credit.

Considering our arms procurement are mostly loan financed by rule. The only good indicator would be the release of Ministry of Finance's "Green Book". This contain all the approved and financed deal. The Airforce officials or medias are mostly talks about Yellow or Blue book. Those are the plans where one can find the wishlists of the many.

Hawk and Flankers however are about to undergo some life extension so they'll have more life ahead of them.

helmutkohl

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

So it should just be

F-16A/B Block 15 upgrade
F-16C/D Block 25 upgrade
Su-27
Su-30
Hawk 200
Super Tucano
AH-64E

~potential acquisitions~
Rafale
F-15EX

The KFX is the projected replacement for Hawks.

Relying on media or even our own officials are not really a good indicator on what being bought like what happened with Su-35 which contract they never cancel but never made effective either, same as Kilo class submarine which contracted but never made effective but they choose to screwing around trying to find used Kilo class which obviously not in good condition, while Russian actually offered new 636's back then with state credit.

Considering our arms procurement are mostly loan financed by rule. The only good indicator would be the release of Ministry of Finance's "Green Book". This contain all the approved and financed deal. The Airforce officials or medias are mostly talks about Yellow or Blue book. Those are the plans where one can find the wishlists of the many.

Hawk and Flankers however are about to undergo some life extension so they'll have more life ahead of them.
so what do you think the Indonesian AF should standardize around by 2030-2040?
do they have access to spares and other weapons for their Flankers given the current environment?

to me it should ideally be
Golden Eagle, F-16, F-15 or Rafale
then later Golden Eagle, KFX, F-15 or Rafale

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score

now they are saying they want used F-15s :eek:
I'm assuming they'll be the Saudi F-15C/Ds; personally I think that's the smartest choice they could make. Multi role capabilities are inherent to the airframe, and unlike the USAF the Saudi Eagles shouldn't be beat to hell either.
Now all we need is for Malaysia to snatch up those Kuwaiti Hornets...

Last edited:

Maro.Kyo

Reaction score