uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I have seen some info on Boeing's contender for the requirement eventually met by the Convair B58. It seems to be a much more conventional design similar to the Russian TU16 with swept wing and embedded engines. Anyone got any pictures or drawings?

Ahhh, Lloyd S. Jone's book! I found a copy at a local used bookstore for dirt cheap, got home and found it had been signed by Lloyd Jones himself. Nice little find.

The Aerofax book by Jay Miller also gives more details on the Boeing design. Windtunnel pictures in that book show a floating canard on a boom ahead of the nose, though.

Lloyd S. Jones indeed... those were the days..

Gentlemen , can you tell me, what are the extra's in the Pdf file?
what is the title of the Aeofax - Jay Miller book mentioned ?

Thanks.

'Convair B-58 Hustler ' Aerofax - Jay Miller I presume.

There must be a whole lot of Boeing XB-59 design variants.
I wonder If someone of the members haves more in his files.

overscan said:
Scott needs to save something for his Bomber book ;D

Here's a small sampling. I've many dozens of B-59 drawings that I haven't dealt with yet.

Collect-Model.gif

Mailbox checked Pometabla.

I could have known Orionblam's answer :D

Here is the Boeing Model 701-333 from "Boeing Aircraft Since...."

Notice the B-47 style canopy and podded engines.

I'm not sure what the specific model number (701-???) is for the proposal at the beginning of the thread, or whether the wing-root engine location came before or after this podded engine proposal?

Attachments

• XB-59.gif
    XB-59.gif
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,604
I have always wondered when or if any of the Boeing Model 701/"XB-59" proposals transitioned from the J-73 to the more powerful J-79, which the eventual B-58 used?

As I recollect, GE derived the J-73 from the J-47, and the J-79 was the eventual replacement for the J-73?

TinWing said:
I'm not sure what the specific model number (701-???) is for the proposal at the beginning of the thread

That would be the 701-299-1.

or whether the wing-root engine location came before or after this podded engine proposal?

The -299 came afterwards. The 701-273 used essentially the same fuselage as the 299, but had podded wings.

There was a lot of intermix between the model numbers. the B-47 was the Model 450-xyz, and several of these were supersonic variants very similar to the 701-333. There was also the Model 484, which preceded but was often identical to many of the 701 designs. Some seaplane variants.

The weirdest of the B-59 designs was the 701-273-xyz series. Quite oddball desgins.

Attachments

• Model 701-299-1a.gif
    Model 701-299-1a.gif
    197.7 KB · Views: 1,490
  • Model701-273-3s.gif
    Model701-273-3s.gif
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,295
Hi,

but the finally design to XB-59 was Boeing Model-709,as I know.

Orionblamblam said:
That would be the 701-299-1.

Wow! Thanks for the blue print, although I am confused by what appears to a refueling probe on the nose? Only TAC used this refueling method?

Re: Boeing XB 59 (Hustler alternative) and various Model 701 iterations

I've got circa three NACA papers on tthe XB-59 with different configurations studied. I have to find them out, but I remember that two was illustrated in Miller's B-58, the one with singly-podded engines and the one with double-engined pods.

Found. For everyone interested, relevant report numbers are NACA RM L52J17 and RM L53F05 both from February 1956.

Attachments

• B-59_1.gif
    B-59_1.gif
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,263
  • B-59_2.gif
    B-59_2.gif
    99 KB · Views: 1,052
  • B-59_3.gif
    B-59_3.gif
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,037
Photos are perhaps more explicative...

Attachments

• B-59_photo_5.gif
    B-59_photo_5.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 371
  • B-59_photo_4.gif
    B-59_photo_4.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 323
  • B-59_photo_3.gif
    B-59_photo_3.gif
    37.3 KB · Views: 331
  • B-59_photo_2.gif
    B-59_photo_2.gif
    27.5 KB · Views: 838
  • B-59_photo_1.gif
    B-59_photo_1.gif
    66.2 KB · Views: 920
The -299 came afterwards. The 701-273 used essentially the same fuselage as the 299, but had podded wings.

There was a lot of intermix between the model numbers. the B-47 was the Model 450-xyz, and several of these were supersonic variants very similar to the 701-333. There was also the Model 484, which preceded but was often identical to many of the 701 designs. Some seaplane variants.

The weirdest of the B-59 designs was the 701-273-xyz series. Quite oddball desgins.

Sorry I am way late to the party, any chance of other views of these 701- designs?

hesham mentioned the "Model 709" as being the final B-59 design. Could anyone confirm this, as I have never found anything about a "Model 709" besides a mention in Richard K. Smith's archives listing.

What would be considered the definitive B-58 alternative? I'm looking to make a B-59 Illo but am unsure as to which would be best to render as a 6 view.

Report NACA-RM-SL52J17 (mentioned by Skybolt above)

Tangential, was it merely 'convergence' that the four-pod version in post #11 bears a remarkable resemblance to the later Soviet M-50 Bounder prototypes ??

Yeah, yeah, I know the Soviets tried really hard to clone the Valkyrie, also Concorde (*): Nice tries, guys, but no 'nana...

On the grippin' hand, most of those '59 designs lack the 58's air of being supersonic whilst parked-up...

snark:
*) I'm told the French factory was beset by blue-prints taking 'French Leave'. Some even came back.
And there's an 'Urban Legend' that an 'engine control module', an 'Olympus Optimiser', was stolen from a visiting UK engineer.
Careful reverse-engineering reputedly found its firm-ware had been flashed to play 'Space Invaders'-- Which was why the blessed thing hadn't been locked away much better...
/

Here is the Boeing Model 701-333 from "Boeing Aircraft Since...."

Notice the B-47 style canopy and podded engines.

I'm not sure what the specific model number (701-???) is for the proposal at the beginning of the thread, or whether the wing-root engine location came before or after this podded engine proposal?
Boeing Model 701-333=MX-1712 ?
double-underslung-deacon__mx-1712__1.jpg
MX-1712 model from:https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/deacon-cluster.htm

From the Wikipedia article on the B-58:
The Air Force chose Boeing's MX-1712 and Convair MX-1626 design studies to proceed to a Phase 1 study. During this period Convair took advantage of recent developments by General Electric and replaced the two large J53 engines with four smaller J79s optimized for supersonic flight.[8] The recently formulated area rule was also applied to the design, resulting in aerodynamic re-profiling and an even more slender fuselage. Having been refined, Convair redesignated their renewed submission MX-1964.[9]

In August 1952, Convair's design was judged superior.[10] According to Gunston and Gilchrist, Boeing's submission was viewed as equally good, but their separate contract to produce the Boeing B-52 Stratofortress had undoubtedly influenced this competition.[9] In December 1952, Convair was chosen to meet the new SAB-51 (Supersonic Aircraft Bomber) and SAR-51 (Supersonic Aircraft Reconnaissance) standards, the first General Operational Requirements (GOR) for supersonic bombers. In February 1953, the Air Force issued a contract for Convair's design, designated B-58 on 10 December 1952.[11][12]