• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing P-8A Poseidon (737-800ERX) MMA (Multi-mission Maritime Aircraft)

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
I thought the AN/ASQ-508A wasn't supposed to become operational on their aircraft until at least much later this year?

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
That would explain the lack of any complaints! ;)

But are you sure of that, I can't read trace of such a major lack of capability?

Edit:
Doesn't seems to be that one fitted on P-8i

CAE seems to mention another system:

Attachments

• datasheet.MAD-XR.pdf
    399 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
I think they were mentioning it as one of the customers for CAE's MAD products in general, rather than as one of the applications for the MAD-XR (which seems to be primarily aimed at the ASW helicopter market, at least for now).

FighterJock

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
A shame that Boeing has had to close the factory's due to the Covid-19 virus, lets hope that it will only be for a short while, and that they can get the factory's can get back up and running as soon as possible when the crisis is over.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score

AN/AWW-14(V)

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

one of the Navy's SBIR

The Boeing Co., Seattle, Washington, is awarded a $7,039,596 against previously issued basic ordering agreement. This order procures non-recurring engineering for the design, fabrication and correction of deficiencies required for the delivery and installation of retrofit kits for Navy P-8A aircraft with Increment 3 ECP 6 capabilities. The P-8A ECP 6 provides a significant modification to the baseline aircraft, installing new airframe racks, radomes, antennas, sensors and wiring, while incorporating a new combat system suite with an improved computer processing and security architecture capability at the higher than secret level, a wide band satellite communication system, an anti-submarine warfare signal intelligence capability, a minotaur track management system and additional communications and acoustics systems to enhance search, detection and targeting capabilities. Work is expected to be complete by May 2021

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com

FighterJock

Reaction score

TomS

Reaction score

Australia only buying two more P-8A's taking the total to 14? I would have thought that Australia would have bought more.

It's the largest purchase outside of the US, and these 14 aircraft plus up to 5 MQ-4C Triton (3 ordered so far) are replacing 18 AP-3C. So the net result is a similar or possibly even slightly larger number of much more capable aircraft. This seems like a significant upgrade overall.

Last edited:

FighterJock

Reaction score

Australia only buying two more P-8A's taking the total to 14? I would have thought that Australia would have bought more.

It's the largest purchase outside of the US, and these 14 aircraft plus up to 5 MQ-4C Triton (3 ordered so far) are replacing 18 AP-3C. So the net result is a similar or possibly even slightly larger number of much more capable aircraft. This seems like a significant upgrade overall.

Forgot Australia were buying the MQ-4 Triton as well as the P-8A. Thanks for the info TomS.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Australia is also getting MQ-9Bs as well which will also have a Maritime Surveillance capability as well. In fact, if you take a systems of systems type of view rather than just individual platforms, you will see a quite capable package with the ADF having or in the process of acquiring a range of very capable ISREW systems. The list includes the E-7A Wedgetail, P-8A Poseidon, MQ-4C Triton, MC-55A Peregrine, EA-18G Growler and MQ-9B SkyGuardian. There is also the Jindalee Operational Radar Network (JORN) over-the-horizon radar as well.