• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing Model 956 VG V/STOL for US/FRG

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
circle-5 said:
Please help identify this Boeing airplane. This is not a contest -- I don't know the answer, and there is no prize (but lots of glory...)

Thanks to Chad Slattery for the photos.
Looks like a variation of Boeing's 818 TFX proposal. -SP

uk 75

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
It also looks like the us german 60s .A.V.S strike fighter. Nibe model. I love this sort of plane

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
My vote is for a TFX predecessor

aim9xray

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
This is Boeing Model 956 PDII-10 (supersonic variant). The aft engines are afterburning turbofans; the plug nozzles serve as blockers for VTO mode. There are eight small VTO vertically mounted turbojet engines in the fuselage aft of the cockpit - four in the left and four in the right chine (inboard of the the wing glove). Length was 62.5 feet. Gross VTO weight was to be 40000 lbs.

The 956 PDI-10 was the subsonic variant. I'd guess the pair to be AVS competitors or possibly USAF ADO-12 (Advanced Development Objective - 12) study designs circa 1963-4 (ish).

Howedar

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
The airframe has a lot of configurational similarity to the 818, which was a response to TFX.

circle-5

Top Contributor
Reaction score
aim9xray said:
This is Boeing Model 956 PDII-10 (supersonic variant). The aft engines are afterburning turbofans; the plug nozzles serve as blockers for VTO mode. There are eight small VTO vertically mounted turbojet engines in the fuselage aft of the cockpit - four in the left and four in the right chine (inboard of the the wing glove). Length was 62.5 feet. Gross VTO weight was to be 40000 lbs.

The 956 PDI-10 was the subsonic variant. I'd guess the pair to be AVS competitors or possibly USAF ADO-12 (Advanced Development Objective - 12) study designs circa 1963-4 (ish).
Thank you aim9xray! I didn't think this was a VTO design, because of the complete absence of chine scribings for the lift engines, both top and bottom. The main engine plugs and top intakes do make sense, however. And it has enough complexity to qualify as an AVS contender.

So you get the glory, and on Valentine's Day no less!

taildragger

You can count on me - I won a contest
Reaction score
aim9xray,
What were the nature of the AVS and ADO-12 requirements - interceptor? Model 956 PDII-10 looks to me like a nuclear penetrator. I wouldn't think that a subsonic variant would be offered for anything but an aircraft intended for an attack role. Also, the nose looks a little small for an AI radar of the day.

aim9xray

Reaction score
You are pretty much correct, at least for the AVS. For further info on AVS, see http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,452.msg33748.html#msg33748. The design as shown above had a single belly external stores station with 2000 lbs load capability, one option was a nuclear "special store".

As far as ADO-12, I have no information other than the name and a link to another subsonic V/STOL design. Any background data would be appreciated.

aim9xray

Reaction score
Whoops, my apologies for introducing some extraneous speculation - this was for US/FRG (later AVS), late 1965.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoops, my apologies for introducing some extraneous speculation - this was for US/FRG (later AVS), late 1965.
ADO-12 and US/FRG are VERY closely linked. Effectively US/FRG was a continuation of US ADO-12 studies with German involvement and design proposals overlap.