Air-launched Boeing and Lockheed "Micro Fighters"

Looks very similar in shape to the Microfighter intended for 747 flying aircraft carriers. A case of re-use of known aerodynamics, perhaps?

AeroFranz said:
Looks very similar in shape to the Microfighter intended for 747 flying aircraft carriers. A case of re-use of known aerodynamics, perhaps?

It's Bud Nelson's 'Microfighter' indeed, which starred in many different studies from Boeing and Northrop.

The Boeing FDL.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 578
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    40.6 KB · Views: 526
  • 3.png
    3.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 618
One or two of them, under the floor of Air Force One would be a nice addition to Presidential security.
Although, going by Presidents that did military service, I think only President George Bush (Senior) and George W. Bush would be able to fly it....

Regards
Pioneer

One or two of them, under the floor of Air Force One would be a nice addition to Presidential security.
Although, going by Presidents that did military service, I think only President George Bush (Senior) and George W. Bush would be able to fly it....

Regards
Pioneer
Biden's already got the aviator glasses though :cool:...

Found And Explained - What ever happened to Flying Aircraft Carriers?
Found And Explained said:
Hey gang! This is a special video, I've always wanted to cover the topic of flying aircraft carriers but only if I could bring something new to the table that wasn't discussed elsewhere! So enjoy a 30-minute video all about the 747 and its many other attempts to realize that incredible concept of a flying mothership! :)
View: https://youtu.be/UfDxsfiDl24

Code:
https://youtu.be/UfDxsfiDl24

The report is available here:

The above video has more images and 3D illustrations of the system

Found And Explained - What ever happened to Flying Aircraft Carriers?

On the subject of Microfighters, I don't think that the notion of possible competing designs has been suggested. And yet, the SDASM's Rolled Drawing Index lists a Ryan design which "appears to be a concept drawing showing 17 'manned micro fighters' carried in a C-5A." The related drawings are numbered MICRO-1, MICRO-2 and MICRO-5. Unless both companies decided to study independently such a far-off concept, it seems to me that that there must have been an Air Force requirement for it, and that Ryan's proposal was submitted against Boeing's Model 985 (and likely a few others). Unfortunately I haven't found in my Ryan folders any image that might even remotely resemble that project.

Last edited:
Ryan was involved in studies of housing RPVs on the 747 carrier. Maybe something similar?
The author of the index clearly said "appears to be... manned micro fighters". That means he's not positive, but I believe it to be correct since the description of the third document mentions "...'manned micro fighters' and drones..." (though fitting seventeen of them on board a C-5A seems surprising). Of course, it's also possible that the fighters were Boeing's while the drones were Ryan's. We'd have to see the documents to be sure.

If anyone has access to the SDASM's blueprint archives, here is the complete reference for these documents (note that text in third note is incomplete):

Catalog #Box #ManufacturerAircraftDrawing #Drawing Title/SubjectMediaNotes
RD-4357D-1119Ryansee noteMICRO-1Mass Air Launch & RecoverVellumAppears to ba a concept drawing showing 17 "manned micro fighters" carried in a C-5A
RD-4358D-1119Ryansee noteMICRO-2Mass Air Launch & RecoverMylarAppears to ba a concept drawing showing 17 "manned micro fighters" carried in a C-5A
RD-4359D-1120Ryansee noteMICRO-5Mass Air Launch & RecoverMylarAppears to ba a concept drawing showing "manned micro fighters" and drones carried i

Lockheed's 1972 CL-1303 Micro-Fighter project.

It was supposed to be capable of Mach 2.8. Six wing arrangements were considered:

Multi-planar (box)
Swept
Swept (folding)
Delta
Delta (folding)
Variable sweep

The non-folding wing span was limited to 13 ft to clear the C-5A cargo compartment aft opening and walls.

Attachments

• Lockheed CL-1303.png
    Lockheed CL-1303.png
    174.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Lockheed CL-1303-2.png
    Lockheed CL-1303-2.png
    247 KB · Views: 62
Last edited: