Boeing hypersonic launcher concept

GeorgeA

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This week's AW&ST has a "future of flight" theme and one of the TOC items is "Boeing Unveils XB-70-Inspired Hypersonic Launcher Concept". As a non-subscriber I won't know more until I get myself to a library, but it sounds like it's propelled by eight "Mach 4 turbines" and some kind of RBCC system for the final kick.

Just to prove that the only thing new in the world is the history you don't know, NTRS just posted a 1959 Boeing study of basically the same idea as a reusable first stage for the X-20, with an expendable second stage.

GeorgeA said:
Just to prove that the only thing new in the world is the history you don't know, NTRS just posted a 1959 Boeing study of basically the same idea as a reusable first stage for the X-20, with an expendable second stage.

And there are probably dozens more out there just like it. These come to mind:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,329.msg59385.html#msg59385
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=awst&id=news/030606p1.xml

GeorgeA said:
This week's AW&ST has a "future of flight" theme and one of the TOC items is "Boeing Unveils XB-70-Inspired Hypersonic Launcher Concept". As a non-subscriber I won't know more until I get myself to a library, but it sounds like it's propelled by eight "Mach 4 turbines" and some kind of RBCC system for the final kick.

Yes the NASA RTA (Revolutionary Turbine Accelerator) Mach 4 turbines which don't exist nor for which there is no longer a current development program. And the Atrox cartoon concept of an RBCC. I wouldn't 't hold my breath.

"Mach 4 turbines which don't exist "

Unless they license Sabre design from Reaction Engines ??

( Hopefully, they'd pay up sooner than for LCAC's UK Hovercraft tech which, IIRC, went to international court...)

Nik said:

Those don't either.

Nik said:

( Hopefully, they'd pay up sooner than for LCAC's UK Hovercraft tech which, IIRC, went to international court...)

Totally different fuel, so one can't just swap engine types as the fuel required significantly changes the whole size/shape/architecture of the first stage.

DSE said:
GeorgeA said:

Yes the NASA RTA (Revolutionary Turbine Accelerator) Mach 4 turbines which don't exist nor for which there is no longer a current development program. And the Atrox cartoon concept of an RBCC. I wouldn't 't hold my breath.

But don't let that stop you !
If the Boeing Hypersonic Launcher concept floats your boat, go help make it happen !

shockonlip said:
If the Boeing Hypersonic Launcher concept floats your boat, go help make it happen !

"No bucks, no Buck Rogers."

sferrin said:
shockonlip said:

"No bucks, no Buck Rogers."

And what do you think "go help make it happen" means?

A sizeable part of the article on the Boeing Hypersonic Launcher in this weeks AW&ST is about
Kevin Bowcutt's efforts to get it funded.

Take a hint that in the future, you must not only be an engineering wiz, but know how to fund
projects as well. Or maybe you will just focus on funding projects and then hiring the engineering
talent to staff it.

If building the Boeing Hypersonic Launcher concept floats your boat, you also need to think about
how financially you are going to get that done.

Don't give up !

If you give up, nothing ever gets done.