• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet upgrades

Creative

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Super Hornet upgrades.
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/farnborough/?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=af81e61b-7188-4a72-8f39-d3869b7980c2&plckPostId=Blog%3aaf81e61b-7188-4a72-8f39-d3869b7980c2Post%3afeb0685f-4b71-457a-8b95-db6887068567&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Attachments

Colonial-Marine

Fighting the UAV mafia.
Reaction score
I like the conformal fuel tanks and what looks like a IRST sensor under the nose. I have my doubts over the stealthy weapons pod however, as I do with the bays on the F-15SE.

Raptor_101

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Very intriguing looking upgrade. The only thing I wonder about is that funky looking pod behind the cockpit.

Eagle2009

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
It believe its the Spherical Laser/Missile Warning system described in the first image from Boeing.

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here's what I don't get about the concept. It has a waepons bay to reduce the RCS by putting missiles in it and then it has missiles on the wingtips. Is this only to reduce RCS by not having the pylons under the wings?

ouroboros

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Sundog said:
Here's what I don't get about the concept. It has a waepons bay to reduce the RCS by putting missiles in it and then it has missiles on the wingtips. Is this only to reduce RCS by not having the pylons under the wings?
I'd be surprised if the Quiet Bug's pod did not also have fuel storage capabilities, like the Silent Eagle CFT's. Though I imagine drag reduction is more the goal than RCS reduction.

The more interesting question becomes, is this really just a way to slip in the development work for the stealthy external weapons pod package for the F-22 (though usually illustrated with FB-22 designs...)

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.boeing.com/farnborough2010/presentation/fas_gss.pdf

F-14D

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
ouroboros said:
Sundog said:
I'd be surprised if the Quiet Bug's pod did not also have fuel storage capabilities, like the Silent Eagle CFT's. Though I imagine drag reduction is more the goal than RCS reduction.

The more interesting question becomes, is this really just a way to slip in the development work for the stealthy external weapons pod package for the F-22 (though usually illustrated with FB-22 designs...)
It would be simpler and cheaper to just do that up front, and would be more optimized for the Raptor (as virtually everything has to be. Besides, why would Boeing want to do that for Lockheed?

donnage99

"Robert Gates, is that you??" sublight
Reaction score
F-14D said:
It would be simpler and cheaper to just do that up front, and would be more optimized for the Raptor (as virtually everything has to be. Besides, why would Boeing want to do that for Lockheed?)
He probably thinks it's because Boeing builds parts of the f-22 like the wings and rear fuselage, but then that doesn't mean that Boeing has been awarded to build its upgrades. Regardless, I don't know if the f-18 pod would be ideal for f-22 in term of aerodynamic efficiency.

F-14D

Reaction score
donnage99 said:
F-14D said:
It would be simpler and cheaper to just do that up front, and would be more optimized for the Raptor (as virtually everything has to be. Besides, why would Boeing want to do that for Lockheed?)
He probably thinks it's because Boeing builds parts of the f-22 like the wings and rear fuselage, but then that doesn't mean that Boeing has been awarded to build its upgrades. Regardless, I don't know if the f-18 pod would be ideal for f-22 in term of aerodynamic efficiency.
It wouldn't be stealthy enough, either.

Trident

Reaction score
New F-15E/Gripen-style HUD? That's one thing I didn't get with the Block50/52/60 Falcons and the Super Hornet - they reverted back to conventional HUDs even after previous aircraft by the same manufacturers demonstrated wide-angle holographic systems (Block40/42, Strike Eagle). OK, maybe the SH is not that surprising in that many other cockpit instruments were carried over from the Hornet to increase commonality, but with the F-16E/F I really am at a loss.

Sundog

Reaction score
Trident said:
New F-15E/Gripen-style HUD? That's one thing I didn't get with the Block50/52/60 Falcons and the Super Hornet - they reverted back to conventional HUDs even after previous aircraft by the same manufacturers demonstrated wide-angle holographic systems (Block40/42, Strike Eagle). OK, maybe the SH is not that surprising in that many other cockpit instruments were carried over from the Hornet to increase commonality, but with the F-16E/F I really am at a loss.
My guess is as you said; commonality, with what they already had in service. Also, with new programs in the works like the F-22 and F-35, they don't want to spend too much money on aircraft they're going to replace or make those upgrades so good that people will question why we're buying something new. I'm not saying it's just that, but there is some influence of that in these decisions.

donnage99

Reaction score
F-14D said:
It wouldn't be stealthy enough, either.
Good point. The pod's facets may align with the super hornet but doesn't mean they will align with the raptor's alignment, which would increase additional numbers of RCS spikes. Just because a pod is stealthy for one aircraft doesn't mean it's stealthy for another.

PS. Thanks, Flateric!!

donnage99

Reaction score
20% more thrust with new engines and 10% more range with CFTs
http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/super-hornet-mods-added-to-export-list-25567/

flanker

Reaction score
Eagle2009 said:
It believe its the Spherical Laser/Missile Warning system described in the first image from Boeing.
Ala the SAAB one on Su-30MKM i guess.

Colonial-Marine

Fighting the UAV mafia.
Reaction score
Weren't the upgraded engines being offered for the Super Hornet more fuel efficient and durable as well?

quellish

I am not actually here.
Reaction score
Oh lookee here...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Combat-Aircraft-Magazine/140704179286241#!/photo.php?fbid=181698828520109&set=a.156514791038513.27932.140704179286241

I wasn't able to find a Boeing press release covering this.

fightingirish

Reaction score
I wonder, if first that is a new aircraft or an old prototype and if second if those new modifications (IRST, CFT, Spherical Laser/Missile Warning system etc.) are real or just all a mock-up.
Seems we have to wait for tomorrow to get more info and conformation by Boeing and 'Aviation Leak'.
I presume, there will be a presentation/roll-out this following week just like with the Silent Eagle.
The weapons pod looks more to me like a JASSM "Trenta size" ;) or a Recce Pod.
This "Superhornet Plus" needs also some new missiles under its wings.
Like a AIM-120D or even a ram-jet powered version, so that some "Tomcat/Phoenix" fans would be pleased... :D

sferrin

Reaction score
Boy and I thought the "Super" Hornet was a pig. I wonder how sluggish this thing will be when they've slapped all that draggy crap on it. ???

donnage99

Reaction score
sferrin said:
Boy and I thought the "Super" Hornet was a pig. I wonder how sluggish this thing will be when they've slapped all that draggy crap on it. ???
It's better than hanging weapons and drop tanks out in the open.

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
http://ericpalmer.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/boeings-evolved-super-hornet-the-f-35-as-an-f-35-killer-and-it-sux-to-be-usmc-general-amos-military/

sferrin

Reaction score
Matej said:
http://ericpalmer.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/boeings-evolved-super-hornet-the-f-35-as-an-f-35-killer-and-it-sux-to-be-usmc-general-amos-military/
He's possibly the only person on the planet who's more biased against the F-35 than Bill Sweetman. But it's close.

Sundog

Reaction score
sferrin said:
The CFT's actually reduce drag at high speed as they smooth out the area distribution at the transition from the fuselage to the wing. Also, I'd be willing to bet the weapons pod doesn't add anymore drag than the "canted out" weapons pylons do with weapons on them.

sferrin

Reaction score
Sundog said:
sferrin said:
The CFT's actually reduce drag at high speed as they smooth out the area distribution at the transition from the fuselage to the wing. Also, I'd be willing to bet the weapons pod doesn't add anymore drag than the "canted out" weapons pylons do with weapons on them.
Weapons pylons? I thought those were air-brakes. ;)

donnage99

Reaction score
sferrin said:
Sorry to disappoint you, but it's called anti-gravity device.

F-14D

Reaction score
Sundog said:
sferrin said:
An interesting rumor here , maybe someone knows the truth:

If you look at pictures of early examples of the Super Bug, the pylons don't seem to cant out. The explanation I've come across seems to deal with the way the aircraft was promoted by DoD as an Official Wonderplane. Much was made that the E/F had two more pylons to carry weapons, than the A/D, another reason it was allegedly worth what it cost . The wording, though, was apparently carefully chosen. It could carry more weapons, but it couldn't actually fire powered weapons from the inner pylons due to clearance and safety issues. By later canting those (and consequently the others ) out, safe clearance was obtained, and they became fully usable. Of course, this meant more drag, which meant the range went down, but pay no attention to that. This also increased the frontal RCS, which was annoying because one of the things advertised about the E/F was its increased "stealthiness". Don't concern yourself about that, though, since the increased stealthiness only occurred when the plane wasn't carrying weapons, since once you hung stuff on the pylons, that stuff and the pylons themselves gave the a/c away.

OM

Reaction score
Website
www.io.com
donnage99 said:
sferrin said:
Sorry to disappoint you, but it's called anti-gravity device.
...Those are the Ion Pods, where ion storms are monitored before the pilot prematurely ejects them so the red shirt assigned to Ion Pod duty gets tossed out as well.

lantinian

Inspired
Reaction score
Website
www.lantinian.blogspot.com
I so want to see now an F-15SE mockup with 3 of those Weapons Pods. 2 Under the wing and a centerline one, in addition to the 2 Conformal Weapons Bays. Probably its too close a call for the door clearance on side ones though.

4 AMRAAM missiles fit inside this Weapons Pod. That's the equivalent of the entire internal Air to Air capability of the F-35. The funny thing is that in terms of internal volume, there pods seam equal to just one of the 2 weapons bay that the F-35 has.

sferrin

Reaction score
lantinian said:
I so want to see now an F-15SE mockup with 3 of those Weapons Pods. 2 Under the wing and a centerline one, in addition to the 2 Conformal Weapons Bays. Probably its too close a call for the door clearance on side ones though.

4 AMRAAM missiles fit inside this Weapons Pod. That's the equivalent of the entire internal Air to Air capability of the F-35. The funny thing is that in terms of internal volume, there pods seam equal to just one of the 2 weapons bay that the F-35 has.
Except the F-35 doesn't sacrifice range through added drag by hanging a zepplin on the wing. ::)