Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Trident said:
Yup, IIRC they even have certain parts made out of titanium rather than aluminium to enable that rating.

Is that Swiss-specific or C/D in general?

Trident

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Swiss-specific, although as Dreamfighter mentioned, it might apply to Finland's fleet too.

Grey Havoc

Reaction score

Dragon029

Reaction score
I wonder if 'no buying Boeing aircraft' would include the Australian legacy Hornets being considered. Would paying Boeing to SLEP more of their CF-18s be out of the picture as well? If so that'd either mean a wind-down of the RCAF for the next ~4 years, or the 'interim' acquisition of either the F-35 or a European fighter, wouldn't it?

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
Can't get much more interim than that.

litzj

BLOG : http://jaesan-aero.blogspot.com/
Reaction score
Website
jaesan-aero.blogspot.com

fredymac

Reaction score
Another F-18 airshow display showing maneuver performance not usually seen. It's odd to see this level of capability showing up now so long after entering service. Either pilot training in flying the aircraft to its limits has improved or this performance has been kept unadvertised for operational reasons. However I haven't seen any similar enhancements in F-16 displays.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Probably that something was declassified. I have noticed the Swiss too getting "reckless" recently.
It's amazing what's this "bee" can do... And easy today to understand how they can have traded their Tomcat without much fuzz. (notice the Tomcat is a 40+deg alpha airframe, 50+% more than a Su27, 50-% more than a Viper, 40% more than a Rafale)...

Thank you for sharing.

fredymac

Reaction score
The maneuver at 7:30-7:40 really caught my eye. It seems to be something only a thrust vectored aircraft should be able to do.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Interesting bit about the billion C$ upgrade for Canadian F/A-18
Among the upgrades included in this potential package: 50 Sidewinder AIM-9X Block II tactical missiles; 38 APG-79(V)4 active electronically scanned array radars; 38 APG-79(V)4 AESA radar A1 kits; 46 F/A-18A wide-band RADOMES; upgrades to the Advanced Distributed Combat Training System; and technical assistance to support the upgraded jets.

Wyvern

Reaction score
Hello all,

Not sure if a thread already exists about this, nor whether this fits with the other threads existing about F/A-18E/F upgrades, if it does, I do ask the moderators to merge this with another thread if necessary.

It seems that Boeing has gone forward with STOBAR testing of the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, specifically the Block III variant, in a move to win orders from the Indian Navy, who have become increasingly displeased with the MiG-29K after three incidents. The Super Hornet faces two competitors, the Rafale M and the MiG-29K. The latter seems not to be on the cards right now, for the reasons mentioned previously. This leaves only the Rafale M. The Super Hornet does come with some advantages, the main one being that it comes in both single-seat and twin-seat variants.

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
on a random but related note..
I really do miss the old F-18 Prototype and its colors. really nice. didnt they have a red one too?
and also did a ski jump test

message-editor%2F1608564837181-message-editor_1597871929236-hornet-jump.jpg

Excalibur66

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Memory lane . The one is the left was a USMC prototype :).

Attachments

• a-left-side-view-of-an-f-14a-tomcat-aircraft-taking-off-from-a-ramp-raised-3d6bb1.jpg
    a-left-side-view-of-an-f-14a-tomcat-aircraft-taking-off-from-a-ramp-raised-3d6bb1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 100
  • operation-ski-jump-was-the-test-launching-of-a-marine-corps-yav-8b-harrier-15e154.jpg
    operation-ski-jump-was-the-test-launching-of-a-marine-corps-yav-8b-harrier-15e154.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 94

Wyvern

Reaction score
Amazing... Will Marines manned or Germany's SH deploy one day on the QE class?
Unless the need arises, the QE class probably won't use an arrestor cable. That is, unless UK defence policy changes massively in the upcoming years, but it doesn't seem that that will happen. Even if she does get an arrestor cable, the Royal Navy would probably opt for something stealth, like the F-35C. The Royal Navy is satisfied with the STOVL F-35B as it is.

TomS

Reaction score

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
new video via alert5 on Super bug ski jump testing.
seems to be a much more detailed and longer version of the earlier boeing one
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km-wzCVBKSM&feature=emb_title

I wonder what payload and fuel can it take off with via a ski jump!

I remember for the Su-33 and MiG-29K , that debate raged on endlessly

sferrin

Reaction score
Memory lane . The one is the left was a USMC prototype :).
I've looked for that Tomcat one many times over the years. Saw it in a book way back in the day and was starting to think I'd imagined it.

Conspirator

CLEARANCE: L5
Reaction score
im a huge fan of the F/A-18 SuperHornet and the leading edge design does have me questioning a few things. it could be controllable to keep the front end where you want it like the Chengdu J-20. or possibly a certain radar deflection zone. which seems probable because they have had issiues with radar easily locking on to hornets. or just more wing surface area. also note the vents coming out of them......

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Possible innovation to temper the high pitch noise of F-404 series engines:

Mohammad-Saleem-Custom-Jet-Engine-Nozzles.jpg

The interior of the nozzles features triangular fins like rows of shark teeth that significantly reduced jet engine noise in UC lab tests. The project is a collaboration between UC, the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory and Naval Air Station Patuxent River. This fall NAVAIR will test the UC designs and performance on F-18 Super Hornets, the tactical fighter plane used by the U.S. Marines and Navy.

"They’re simple attachments that change the behavior of the flow coming out of the engine with minimal effect on its performance,” Gutmark said.

UC’s lab tests showed the new nozzle could reduce engine noise by between 5 and 8 decibels. That might not seem like much. But unlike linear scales like a ruler where an inch is always an inch, decibels are measured in a logarithmic scale in which 20 decibels is tenfold louder noise.

F-2

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
The UK screwed up not making our carriers cat and trap. The Growler is a formidable and vital asset, as well as a mean as hell aircraft to try fight against.

I got talking to a Typhoon pilot who spent time on the aircraft and he marvelled about its ability to kill an aircraft dead in the air by electronics alone, then add insult to injury and shoot it down.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=26c0LUlvIXw

Cordy

Reaction score

Boeing delivers first Block III Super Hornets to the US Navy, DefenseNews yesterday

Do my eyes deceive me but the pic of the III does not appear to have the conformal fuel tanks, one of the major upgrades if not the major upgrade of III over II due to the F-18s limited combat range. (Wikipedia quotes combat range of F-18 E/F @ 390 nm vs A-6 @ 878 nm)

BLACK_MAMBA

Reaction score

Boeing delivers first Block III Super Hornets to the US Navy, DefenseNews yesterday

Do my eyes deceive me but the pic of the III does not appear to have the conformal fuel tanks, one of the major upgrades if not the major upgrade of III over II due to the F-18s limited combat range. (Wikipedia quotes combat range of F-18 E/F @ 390 nm vs A-6 @ 878 nm)

I recall reading that they recently decided against including the conformal tanks in the production Block III aircraft?

donnage99

"Robert Gates, is that you??" sublight
Reaction score

they cut it. Ran into some technical problems during flight testing I think. No conformal tanks, and of course, conformal weapon bay was gutted a while back.

Cordy

Reaction score

they cut it. Ran into some technical problems during flight testing I think. No conformal tanks, and of course, conformal weapon bay was gutted a while back.
Thanks, found the War Zone write up which confirms your comment the CFTs got canned, don't understand why Navy/Congress procuring the F-18 III's with its very limited combat range of 390 nm when it has the option of the F-35C with a combat radius on internal fuel of 670 nm, which still ~ 200 nm short of the A-6

PS Did read some time ago ~28 to 30% of F-18 flight ops were as buddy tankers to refuel other F-18s due to its limited fuel load.

Cordy

Reaction score
F-18 Corrosion - October 1 report on F/A-18C-G Aircraft by the Inspector General (DODIG-2021-133)

"we found that DON maintainers did not perform required 84-day inspections in FY 2020 for [REDACTED] of the 151 aircraft in our sample"

"DON spends billions to address corrosion on F/A-18C-G aircraft. Specifically, from FYs 2017 through 2020, the cost to the DON of addressing organizational-level corrosion for F/A-18C-G aircraft was more than $2 billion"

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Well they failed to properly maintain their Harriers so it should not come as a big shock.

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
Only surprise here has been how long it has taken given it has been nearly 4yrs since A46-311 was lost.
Maybe they were too busy negotiating with the French? :p

Though realistically the ADF's budget has been stretched in many different directions in the past several years. From M113 and ASLAV replacements, F-35s, their Abrams expansion, Apaches, Hunter Class, and now nuclear subs and cruise missiles. You guys have quite the impressive spread!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com

Though realistically the ADF's budget has been stretched in many different directions in the past several years. From M113 and ASLAV replacements, F-35s, their Abrams expansion, Apaches, Hunter Class, and now nuclear subs and cruise missiles.

Of those the only thing realistically taking any serious money (i.e. actual acquisitions rather than project teams) has been the F-35s (41 in service to date) and the Boxer CRV for Land 400 Ph2 as the ASLAV replacement. Looking at the rest:

• M113 Replacement - Land 400 Ph3 - still in RMA stage with final offers going in this coming week. Decision unlikely until mid 2022 and first vehicles in service probably ~5yrs after that;
  • Abrams expansion - Land 907 Ph2 (for M1A2 SEP V3) & Land 8160 Ph1 (for M1074 & M1150) - although FMS approval given, is still to formally be approved by the Government and thus still not actually buying anything...yet;
  • Apaches - Land 4503 - although announced, this is still to formally be approved by the Government and thus still not actually buying anything...yet;
  • Hunter Class - Sea 5000 - first ship not due to commence until 2022 and not expected in service until 2031;
  • SSNs - Only just announced;
  • Cruise Missiles - Only just announced.
Yes, there is a lot planned and much going on, but don't mistake announcements for actual metal...