Boeing F-15EX/QA and related variants

Are we sure the French Rafale contract is for firm orders? That would explain better the mixed fleet. Also has Indonesia confirmed order of EWPAS? That EW Israeli pod spotted recently might then well be for them.

Last edited:
Are we sure the French Rafale contract is for firm orders? That would explain better the mixed fleet. Also has Indonesia confirmed order of EWPAS... That EW Israeli pod might then well be for them.

According to this article it's going to be 6 firm orders with 36 options.

It would seem likely that at least one, if not two of the following three will simply not be part of Indonesia's fleet, due to cost. Rafale, F-15, KFX. Indonesia can't possibly afford almost a 100 high performance fighter jets.

It would seem likely that at least one, if not two of the following three will simply not be part of Indonesia's fleet, due to cost. Rafale, F-15, KFX. Indonesia can't possibly afford almost a 100 high performance fighter jets.
We aiming for all 3

Those Su-35 might be better :
- a/ off Egyptian air force inventory
- b/ at Russians disposal.

But then, again, with the extra Rafale order, that's a lot of long range twins for the Egyptian air force. The refocus on projection of power is noteworthy.

But then, again, with the extra Rafale order, that's a lot of long range twins for the Egyptian air force. The refocus on projection of power is noteworthy.
I could see the US doing a similar deal to the Indonesian Block 52ID: donate the F-15's for free and then have the Egyptians pay for the airframe modernization/life extension, pilot training, and munitions.

Probably not quite correct but you get the idea:

155.png

I could see the US doing a similar deal to the Indonesian Block 52ID: donate the F-15's for free and then have the Egyptians pay for the airframe modernization/life extension, pilot training, and munitions.

I'm curious if it could be the case. Back in the day Indonesia did seek used F-15 which turns out to be unavailable. It has to be from US unit or brand new.

Also for Egyptian case tho. I wonder if they would be happy with the deal assuming it "replace" supposedly already paid Su-35's. as F-15C model does not actually match with Su-35 capabilty wise.

I'm curious if it could be the case. Back in the day Indonesia did seek used F-15 which turns out to be unavailable. It has to be from US unit or brand new.

Also for Egyptian case tho. I wonder if they would be happy with the deal assuming it "replace" supposedly already paid Su-35's. as F-15C model does not actually match with Su-35 capabilty wise.
They should take notes from their neighbor, Israel does pretty well with their C/D Baz fleet. Thinking about their Rafale deal specifically lacking Meteor's and their MiG-29M's using mechanical radars, I think their now canned Su-35's would have been similarly hobbled. Used C/D's would all have AESA by now right? With Israel getting F-35's into full service it wouldn't be shocking for the US to finally supply the Egyptians with AIM-120's, albeit the older B/C models...

1647463624405.png

Here's The War Zone opinion piece which sums it up nicely

At this point, there is no confirmation as to how many F-15s Egypt may be in line to receive, or when deliveries may take place. It’s also unclear what version of the jets would be offered, but some iteration of the new-build F-15EX now being delivered to the U.S. Air Force seems most likely.
As an alternative to another export version of the F-15EX, it’s conceivable that Egypt could be in line for second-hand F-15C/D jets provided from U.S. Air Force stocks. With the F-15EX soon coming into service, and with F-35As replacing legacy Eagles with some frontline units, there is the possibility that F-15C/Ds may become available for transfer. Despite their age, these are also formidable fighters, having been successively upgraded — featuring a new cockpit display system and active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar — to keep them highly potent. Still, these freshest of the nearly 40-year-old jets will eventually need airframe lifespan extension in the coming decade or so that would be a costly investment, and of course, they do not possess robust air-to-ground capabilities like the far more advanced F-15EX. All this could actually play into the decision to provide Egypt with Eagle capability, ending up as being something of a compromise.

Concerning the airframe refresh, there is also the reconditioned wings sets in Saudi Arabia that are deemed of not much use with the new Eagle buy.
If the Saudi’s are game, their large fleet of C/D Eagles would be the perfect source for Egypt. While they’re a bit outdated, they would probably be in much better shape than the American equivalents. Saudi Arabia has been bankrolling the Egyptian modernization, might as well donate two or three dozen Eagles and replace them with Typhoons…

Concerning the airframe refresh, there is also the reconditioned wings sets in Saudi Arabia that are deemed of not much use with the new Eagle buy.
If the Saudi’s are game, their large fleet of C/D Eagles would be the perfect source for Egypt. While they’re a bit outdated, they would probably be in much better shape than the American equivalents. Saudi Arabia has been bankrolling the Egyptian modernization, might as well donate two or three dozen Eagles and replace them with Typhoons…
Maybe America should guy them back and upgrade. Our Eagles are quite worn out excluding the E

not sure if already addressed..
but what happens to the Russian types in inventory or on order in Egypt and Indonesia, if they go ahead with the F-15s?
will they be phased out? cancelled?

but what happens to the Russian types in inventory or on order in Egypt and Indonesia, if they go ahead with the F-15s?
Probably in a similar position to Malaysia, their MKM’s are all but grounded and need servicing/certification that can only be performed in Russia apparently.

Probably in a similar position to Malaysia, their MKM’s are all but grounded and need servicing/certification that can only be performed in Russia apparently.
i've always felt for countries that have access to "western" aircraft, but also a desire to reduce/distance itself from the US.. US-French combo would be better than US-Russian or French-Russian, especially in terms of supplies.

Israel is actively supporting the deal:

while I know relations have changed a lot these past few decades.. it still sounds weird to read..
Israel wants Egypt to get new jets

while I know relations have changed a lot these past few decades.. it still sounds weird to read..
It sure is a nice change of pace, that’s for sure.

It sure is a nice change of pace, that’s for sure.
It would be a nice change pace, perhaps even some mutual interest, one always hopes for the better angels... The cynic in me thinks they trust the Americans to withdraw the tech support more than the Russians if the Islamists take over again.

Double posting here:

With an interesting price breakdown document under excel available here

Remark:
I had no idea that Legion pod was so expensive

So they're reducing the F-35 AND the F-15EX buy? FFS.
And increasing money for NGAD and upgrading F-22s with systems being developed for NGAD. It isn't difficult to figure out what's going on.

And increasing money for NGAD and upgrading F-22s with systems being developed for NGAD. It isn't difficult to figure out what's going on.
Yeah its obvious. I've seen this movie before and its called kicking the can down the road. "We're not going to buy these systems today but we will buy something else better in the future when whatever it is becomes available". The last version of this same tired movie starred the f22 and f35. Now its the f35 and ngad. Before that it was called the seawolf. It isn't difficult to see what's going on. It's the same thing going on that gave us an air force with 60 year old bombers and 35 year old fighters. Oh yeah they're unwilling to buy the f35 but they will placate you with look "we're spending 250 million on ngad this year so to away and shut up."

Double posting here:

With an interesting price breakdown document under excel available here

Remark:
I had no idea that Legion pod was so expensive
Wow!

So the F-35 is cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate as well as being more capable and survivable. No wonder so many nations are selecting it despite the bad press.

I wonder how it compares to current production F/A-18, F-16, Typhoon, Rafale, etc?

I wonder if this means that there has been a technology breakthrough that's changed the math for 6th gen. Whatever problem they were solving for with the F-15EX may have just become a lot less of a problem.

My personal guess is that USAF is now exclusively focusing on countering China in the medium term at the expense of being able to counter Russia in the near term, because the latter is now a reduced threat for several reasons. Its air force isn't performing as well as expected and it is suffering small but hard to replace material losses. Also at the strategic level it seems very likely that Europe increases its defense budgets, NATO gains at least one new member (who already has a substantial F-35 contract), and Russia likely needs years to rebuild its conventional capability on the ground. Even before the war, Norway, Finland, and Poland were going to buy a combined ~150 F-35s which would have outnumbered Russia's existing Su-57 contract(s) 2 : 1 (~75 airframes to be completed by 2027-28). NATO air dominance in any future European war seems pretty solid in that context.

Taken all together, the USAF probably feels it doesn't need the kind of resources for Europe it thought it did back in February. Hence dropping E-3s, F-15s, and even Block 20 F-22s. The drop in F-35s seems to be in anticipation of getting Blk4s fresh off the production line and refocusing money on F-15s in the short term since it is a mature design. The total number of F-15EX dropped but the number to be purchased in the short term I think actually increased.

There also might be some kind of NGAD activity affecting this as well but the timing makes me think the decisions are being driven more by current events.

One more thing to add on this - at one point a retired USAF official was quoted as saying there may have to two different versions of NGAD, a European theater variant and a longer ranged Pacific variant. I think we can say with confidence that any consideration of producing a Euro centric version of the airframe have been dropped at this point.

Found the relevant quote:

"Retired Gen. James M. Holmes, former of Air Combat Command, has said there may be two variants of NGAD: one with long range and payload for the Indo-Pacific and one more oriented to the relatively short ranges between possible battle areas in Europe."

My personal guess is that USAF is now exclusively focusing on countering China in the medium term at the expense of being able to counter Russia in the near term, because the latter is now a reduced threat for several reasons. Its air force isn't performing as well as expected and it is suffering small but hard to replace material losses. Also at the strategic level it seems very likely that Europe increases its defense budgets, NATO gains at least one new member (who already has a substantial F-35 contract), and Russia likely needs years to rebuild its conventional capability on the ground. Even before the war, Norway, Finland, and Poland were going to buy a combined ~150 F-35s which would have outnumbered Russia's existing Su-57 contract(s) 2 : 1 (~75 airframes to be completed by 2027-28). NATO air dominance in any future European war seems pretty solid in that context.

Taken all together, the USAF probably feels it doesn't need the kind of resources for Europe it thought it did back in February. Hence dropping E-3s, F-15s, and even Block 20 F-22s. The drop in F-35s seems to be in anticipation of getting Blk4s fresh off the production line and refocusing money on F-15s in the short term since it is a mature design. The total number of F-15EX dropped but the number to be purchased in the short term I think actually increased.

There also might be some kind of NGAD activity affecting this as well but the timing makes me think the decisions are being driven more by current events.
It's being driven by the ideology of who pulling Biden's strings in the White House. You will be lucky to even get 1:1 replacement of NGAD for the F-22. They've already basically cancelled the EX, cut the 35, and are divesting 1400 aircraft and the B-21 will produced at a whopping 5 aircraft a year. The Air Force is basically about to become the Chair Force. This is like watching Charlie Brown keep falling for the football trick with every new weapons system developed and cut over the last 30 years.

My understanding is that these proposals come from the Air Force, not the White House. If they want more money, then it is the legislative branch that controls the purse, not the executive. So I think your post comes with some...strings attached...

My understanding is that these proposals come from the Air Force, not the White House. If they want more money, then it is the legislative branch that controls the purse, not the executive. So I think your post comes with some...strings attached...
Agreed - don't get worked up over USAF (and other service) budget posturing.