Boeing B-3 of 1982

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
In 1980 I presented a weapon system idea to Boeing. My idea was to create a large, unmanned air vehicle similar to a cruise missile that carried 24 cruise missiles within three weapons bays on rotary launchers. I dubbed it B-3 because the B-1A had flown and the ATB would be designated B-2. Even though public knowledge of stealth was almost unheard of I suggested that it be stealthy. They asked me where I heard of the term and I told them the truth: I don't know if stealth exists, but if it does, this aircraft should have it. In any event, they thanked me, had me sign a document saying the idea (if used) would be the sole property of Boeing. Suddenly, the way I see things, an unmanned stealth bomber is looming on the near horizon. I hope I see before my hour glass times out. -SP

Re: Boeing B-3 of 1980

Very cool Steve!

Did you write it up and hand them a piece of paper?

XB-70 Guy said:
I hope I see before my hour glass times out. -SP
with still unclear timeframe of NGB (or whatever they call it) arrival now we would provide you with a truck or two of sand dumpers. Keep on, Steve!

shockonlip said:
Very cool Steve!

Yes, I typed it up, presented it to them in person - large retangular table with nine guys present, four on each side, one at the head, me at the foot. -SP

XB-70 Guy said:
shockonlip said:
Very cool Steve!

Yes, I typed it up, presented it to them in person - large retangular table with nine guys present, four on each side, one at the head, me at the foot. -SP

.... Or HIM at the "foot"! Perception is everything ;)

Randy

Here's the actual document I presented (1982 rather than 1980) which Boeing photocopied. Please remember this: I was nearly 30 years younger, dumber. -SP

Attachments

• B-3 1sm.jpg
    B-3 1sm.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 371
  • B-3 2sm.jpg
    B-3 2sm.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 310
  • B-3 3sm.jpg
    B-3 3sm.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 302

XB-70 Guy said:
shockonlip said:
Very cool Steve!

That is an awesome story and very cool. For the last three years or so I have been wanting to write my own "Triad Modernization Plan" and present it to the Senate Armed Services Committee - Strategic Forces Sub-Committee.

Not that they would ever listen or give me a hearing but your story at least motivates me to write the report :D

Please understand this next sentence is not meant to be snide or sarcastic in any way.

Nowadays we do have a stealthy vehicle option to deliver cruise missiles to their launch. It's called a "submarine".

Continuing on,

I do see a significant problem with the concept, which no doubt prevented further development. Specifically, the name "Progenitress". What self -respecting, cigar-chewing, steely-eyed, lantern-jawed General is going to want to be in charge of a weapon named Progenitress? I mean, Fortress, Superfortress, Stratofortress, Lancer, Spirit... Progenitress? How could the Type Commander maintain maximum macho at all-important military planning functions such as golf courses or the O Club? I suppose you could have named it Xena, but that was still 13 years in the future, so you can't be faulted for that. The "Mother" thing would be OK, I suppose, once Saddam legitimized it through the "mother of all battles" thing, so you must have been prescient because that was nine years in the future. You actually had the first MOAB ("Mother Of All Bombers"). :)

F-14D said:
Please understand this next sentence is not meant to be snide or sarcastic in any way.

Nowadays we do have a stealthy vehicle option to deliver cruise missiles to their launch. It's called a "submarine".

Continuing on,

I do see a significant problem with the concept, which no doubt prevented further development. Specifically, the name "Progenitress". What self -respecting, cigar-chewing, steely-eyed, lantern-jawed General is going to want to be in charge of a weapon named Progenitress? I mean, Fortress, Superfortress, Stratofortress, Lancer, Spirit... Progenitress? How could the Type Commander maintain maximum macho at all-important military planning functions such as golf courses or the O Club? I suppose you could have named it Xena, but that was still 13 years in the future, so you can't be faulted for that. The "Mother" thing would be OK, I suppose, once Saddam legitimized it through the "mother of all battles" thing, so you must have been prescient because that was nine years in the future. You actually had the first MOAB ("Mother Of All Bombers"). :)
It was just my idea of a mother cruise-type missile that carried and delivered her baby cruise missiles. Nuk, nuk, nuk... -SP

bobbymike said:
XB-70 Guy said:
shockonlip said:
Very cool Steve!

That is an awesome story and very cool. For the last three years or so I have been wanting to write my own "Triad Modernization Plan" and present it to the Senate Armed Services Committee - Strategic Forces Sub-Committee.

Not that they would ever listen or give me a hearing but your story at least motivates me to write the report :D
Go for it! -SP :D

F-14D said:

...The exact phrase we Swabbos were nonchalantly informing our Air Farce ROTC counterparts when the notion of stealth hit the mass media.

OM said:
F-14D said:

...The exact phrase we Swabbos were nonchalantly informing our Air Farce ROTC counterparts when the notion of stealth hit the mass media.
No fighting in the war room! ;)

Back
Top Bottom