• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing ATS (Airpower Teaming System) unveiled in Avalon Australia 2/27/19

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
TomS said:
The article doesn't seem any more official than the other sources that links Bird of Prey to the YF-118G designation. It's been around in unofficial sources for years but I'm not sure where it came from.
Thanks, that's the first I had seen the connection. It would be nice if we could get some confirmation, but I'm sure the USAF can neither confirm nor deny the existence of an YF-118G. ;)

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Andrew had the support of Boeing on this article and did months of research so I would have confidence in its content.

TomS

Reaction score
GTX said:
Andrew had the support of Boeing on this article and did months of research so I would have confidence in its content.
I'm sure he did, and the work shows. Boeing have clearly provided a lot of insight into ATS, which is very informative.

My only quibble is whether the one reference to Bird of Prey as YF-118G was in fact checked by Boeing. Possibly they did, but it's probably not "official" confirmation of the designation.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
The Wall Street Journal article that originally broke the story: https://www.wsj.com/articles/australian-military-boeing-join-forces-on-new-loyal-wingman-combat-drone-11551248899

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Grey Havoc said:
The Wall Street Journal article that originally broke the story: https://www.wsj.com/articles/australian-military-boeing-join-forces-on-new-loyal-wingman-combat-drone-11551248899
I doubt that WSJ 'originally broke the story' because it was ABC who did the first exclusive on Feb.26

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
That looks like a Phantom Works R/C Flying Club for the employees! There are turbine powered models at the local club fields as big or bigger than those.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

red admiral

Reaction score

coanda

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
There's a comment on the article asking if the 5GAT design is the same as the result of a design project carried out by USAF Academy students in 2018.

Also...stealth?!

bring_it_on

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
No. AIAA has a series of papers covering the design of the 5GAT and the various efforts aimed at it. I think they've been posted here before.

red admiral

Reaction score
Still bolting aluminium together and bolting composite skins on top?

VTOLicious

Reaction score
I had a look at the ATS website and was wondering that they don't mention anything about strike capabilities or carrying weapons...

" Integrate sensor packages onboard to support intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, tactical early warning missions and more."

Edit: Considering its length (11,7m) I wouldn't expect a whole lot of internal volume for weapon bays available... Btw, Boeing's T-7A is 14,15m in length

Attachments

Last edited:

rooster

Reaction score
I had a look at the ATS website and was wondering that they don't mention anything about strike capabilities or carrying weapons...

" Integrate sensor packages onboard to support intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, tactical early warning missions and more."

Edit: Considering its length (11,7m) I wouldn't expect a whole lot of internal volume for weapon bays available... Btw, Boeing's T-7A is 14,15m in length
Missiles like Cuda look like 4 could be fit ( someplace). Love the concept as a force multiplier but it doesn't look like an all out stealth design but more like a reduced oberservable aircraft.

shin_getter

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
What kind of sensor architecture would fit concepts of this scale? Does one even bother with high performance radar on a platform this disposable?

rooster

Reaction score
What kind of sensor architecture would fit concepts of this scale? Does one even bother with high performance radar on a platform this disposable?
Disposable? How much do they cost?

shin_getter

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
No number have been released, internet guess range from $2~15mil and a lot of what boeing is talking about is low cost manufacturing.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Low cost and probably ITAR free (or relaxed regulation)... This is going to hurt some in Europe requesting billions for the design of similar concepts.

rooster

Reaction score
About the missile question, what would be the point if it didn't carry at least 2 inside? Seems like an expensive decoy if there are no aams.

Dragon029

Reaction score
It currently doesn't have a weapon bay, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't get one in the future. Besides that though, it's not just meant to be decoy, but a sensor platform and jammer (and not just a self-propelled ALE-55 at that); the modular nose cones do have quite a lot of volume. While I absolutely don't see this happening, you could even put a couple of AIM-9Xs into that nose if you're okay with having the last 20% of the missile sticking out, or if you're okay with stretching the nose a little further (weight and balance permitting).