• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing ATS (Airpower Teaming System) unveiled in Avalon Australia 2/27/19

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Re: Boeing (UCAV/ Loyal Wingman?) to be unveiled in Avalon Australia 2/27/19

I wonder if this is the program U.K. government might be trying to buy their way into?

Avimimus

Reaction score

Looks pretty.

_Del_

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

sferrin said:

SpudmanWP

Reaction score

Looks like maybe 2 internal AMRAAM or 1 internal JDAM?

SpudmanWP

Reaction score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiUsfTjpyU4

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score

https://aviationweek.com/defense/boeing-unveils-loyal-wingman-uav-developed-australia?fbclid=IwAR37h2LDGwcEoDcMJ7jyMY-3BV9LEJ2rF7GvjybYS8P1731CcGZYYtkKR8s

coanda

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score

Flyaway said:
I wonder if this is the program U.K. government might be trying to buy their way into?
I wouldn't be surprised at all. I notice that an announcement was recently made about a swarming UAS squadron being stood up by the RAF, but no details were given.

TomS

Reaction score

coanda said:
Flyaway said:
I wouldn't be surprised at all. I notice that an announcement was recently made about a swarming UAS squadron being stood up by the RAF, but no details were given.
I think the UK concept is something else. Williamson referred to hundreds of swarming drones. No way the RAF is buying hundreds of Loyal Wingman type drones the size of manned fighters. Probably something more like Gremlin.

coanda

Reaction score

TomS said:
coanda said:
Flyaway said:
I think the UK concept is something else. Williamson referred to hundreds of swarming drones. No way the RAF is buying hundreds of Loyal Wingman type drones the size of manned fighters. Probably something more like Gremlin.
You're probably correct, although I can see that there would be a keen interest in this concept too.

fightingirish

Reaction score
The Drive said:
UPDATE: 3:47pm PST—

Some basic facts about the Air Airpower Teaming System:

• It is built in Australia and intended for export around the globe. Exports will be easier without having to go through U.S. FMS process.
  • A prototype is being built now.
  • Can fly with or without a manned partner.
  • Has a range of roughly 2,000 miles.
  • Is 38 feet long and uses a bizjet class engine.
  • Will team with E-7, EA-18G, F/A-18E/F, and P-8 Poseidon.
  • Modular design for 'snap-in' payloads and rapid reconfiguration capability.
  • Initial configuration will be sensor/intelligence and electronic warfare focused.
  • Controlled via ground station, other aircraft, and has some level of autonomy that can scale for the mission.
  • Design was based mainly on what would be attractive to a global market full of cash-strapped air arms.
  • Will be tested over Australia's vast deserts where there is tons of room for experimentation. (Probably based out of Woomera)
  • The technology and development will be sourced locally in Australia.
Boeing will be able to adapt the technology for foreign customers far easier than developing and building in the United States.
You can read more here at Aviation Week's embargoed exclusive. I will be doing a big picture analysis soon that addresses issues not discussed in that report.
Source: http://thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26656/boeing-will-unveil-this-loyal-wingman-combat-drone-for-australias-air-force-tomorrow

TomS

Reaction score
litzj said:
why Boeing threw flying-wing design? it is interesting
Boeing doesn't seem to be in love with flying wings in general, despite Phantom Ray. If they don't need extreme LO performance, a more conventional shape may be a better choice. And for this, they probably don't. It's supposed to fly along with only marginally LO aircraft like the Super Hornet, after all.

FighterJock

Reaction score
Certainly is an interesting design, it is strange that they have managed to design and build a UAV without anyone knowing about it.

Hood

Reaction score
It looks a great concept, one that could have quite a bit of export potential.
The Boeing-Australian connection seems to be bearing unexpected fruit industrially for Australia.

Time will tell whether this is a technology demonstrator (shades of Taranis) or will actually form a frontline loyal wingman.

icyplanetnhc

Reaction score
Website
aiaa.seas.ucla.edu
The configuration is certainly reminiscent of McDonnell Douglas' JAST proposal, and I wouldn't be surprised if Boeing recycled some of that design here.

litzj said:
Perhaps it is expected to have some air combat capabilities? With this configuration I wonder if it's designed to achieve supersonic flight; it would certainly make more sense for this airplane than for Sukhoi's S-70.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
FighterJock said:
Certainly is an interesting design, it is strange that they have managed to design and build a UAV without anyone knowing about it.
O RLY?

Jeb

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Steven said:
The configuration is certainly reminiscent of McDonnell Douglas' JAST proposal, and I wouldn't be surprised if Boeing recycled some of that design here.

litzj said:
Perhaps it is expected to have some air combat capabilities? With this configuration I wonder if it's designed to achieve supersonic flight; it would certainly make more sense for this airplane than for Sukhoi's S-70.
Not if it's running a business jet engine.

TomS

Reaction score
Jeb said:
Steven said:

litzj said:
Not if it's running a business jet engine.
Possibly the GE engine for Aerion, which is low supersonic (Mach 1.2). But unless they're being a bit sneaky and had it developed before the Aerion announcement, it doesn't actually exist yet.

Archibald

Reaction score
Wow, Australia pioneering large combat drones - with Boeing. Why is Australia so in need for large drones (this one, Reaper, Poseidon...) ? Because continent size country, not many people ? something else ?
Interesting development, really. The RAAF looks pretty sexy with the AWACS, Superbugs, and big drones.

sferrin

Reaction score
Archibald said:
Wow, Australia pioneering large combat drones - with Boeing. Why is Australia so in need for large drones (this one, Reaper, Poseidon...) ? Because continent size country, not many people ? something else ?
Interesting development, really. The RAAF looks pretty sexy with the AWACS, Superbugs, and big drones.
It sounds more like Boeing is the pioneer here, and did it with Australia to make exporting easier (not having to deal with the US Gov).

SpudmanWP

Reaction score
It does not hurt that Australia has a lot of ocean to cover either.

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
Or it's just an ITAR-scrubbed version of Boeing's losing LCASD entry.

TomS

Reaction score
marauder2048 said:
Or it's just an ITAR-scrubbed version of Boeing's losing LCASD entry.
Seems plausible. It's a bit bigger than the XQ-58, but seems similar in concept.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
I believe the Australian arm of the Boeing Phantom Works would be involved here.

Flyaway

Reaction score

TomS said:
coanda said:
Flyaway said:
The MOD has already shown their interest in one Australian specific Boeing program in the Wedgetail. So I wouldn’t rule out this one as well yet.

Boeing drone heralds Australian aerospace renaissance

bob225

Reaction score
Anyone else think it looks like BAE Replica?

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1202.msg215123.html#msg215123

kcran567

Reaction score
Archibald said:
Somebody earlier posted a 2000mi range,

and possibly to beef up against any China contingencies?

SpudmanWP

Reaction score
That is ferry range at best and NOT combat radius.

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
SpudmanWP said:
You just move the switch position on the side from "Attritable" to "Expendable."

sferrin

Reaction score
marauder2048 said:
SpudmanWP said:
You just move the switch position on the side from "Attritable" to "Expendable."
For something that expensive I'd think the possibility of that happening would border on "never".

TomS

Reaction score
sferrin said:
marauder2048 said:
SpudmanWP said:
For something that expensive I'd think the possibility of that happening would border on "never".
Depends on how expensive you think it is. If Marauder is right and this is an LCASD spin-off, the target price was around $3 million per unit. That's only a couple of JASSM-ERs.

litzj

BLOG : http://jaesan-aero.blogspot.com/
Reaction score
Website
jaesan-aero.blogspot.com
How about the weapon capability?

Most recent weapon bay developed by Boeing is Advanced Hornet Pod

I expect amount of one-pod is carried internal space of the jet

Attachments

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Good article by Andrew McLaughlin here: http://adbr.com.au/loyal-wingmen/

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting article GTX - did not know the Bird of Prey was designated YF-118G.

Thanks for posting... Mark

Sundog

Reaction score
Mark Nankivil said:
Interesting article GTX - did not know the Bird of Prey was designated YF-118G.

Thanks for posting... Mark
Yeah, that was the first "confirmation" of that I've seen. Now we just have to get the rest of the YF-11X numbers correlated with actual programs, be they test or production.

TomS

Reaction score
The article doesn't seem any more official than the other sources that links Bird of Prey to the YF-118G designation. It's been around in unofficial sources for years but I'm not sure where it came from.