Boeing Airpower Teaming System (ATS) - MQ-28A Ghost Bat

GTX said:
Andrew had the support of Boeing on this article and did months of research so I would have confidence in its content.

I'm sure he did, and the work shows. Boeing have clearly provided a lot of insight into ATS, which is very informative.

My only quibble is whether the one reference to Bird of Prey as YF-118G was in fact checked by Boeing. Possibly they did, but it's probably not "official" confirmation of the designation.

The Wall Street Journal article that originally broke the story: https://www.wsj.com/articles/australian-military-boeing-join-forces-on-new-loyal-wingman-combat-drone-11551248899

Grey Havoc said:
The Wall Street Journal article that originally broke the story: https://www.wsj.com/articles/australian-military-boeing-join-forces-on-new-loyal-wingman-combat-drone-11551248899
I doubt that WSJ 'originally broke the story' because it was ABC who did the first exclusive on Feb.26

Boeing ramps up testing ahead of Loyal Wingman first flight

Attachments

• phantomworks-Airpower-Teaming-System_lg.jpg
    phantomworks-Airpower-Teaming-System_lg.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 251
That looks like a Phantom Works R/C Flying Club for the employees! There are turbine powered models at the local club fields as big or bigger than those.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

No. AIAA has a series of papers covering the design of the 5GAT and the various efforts aimed at it. I think they've been posted here before.

Wow, good pace :)...
Boeing Australia completes first ‘loyal wingman’ fuselage:

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_195703.jpg
    IMG_20200211_195703.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article published by the Royal Aeronautical Society

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a look at the ATS website and was wondering that they don't mention anything about strike capabilities or carrying weapons...

" Integrate sensor packages onboard to support intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, tactical early warning missions and more."

Edit: Considering its length (11,7m) I wouldn't expect a whole lot of internal volume for weapon bays available... Btw, Boeing's T-7A is 14,15m in length

Attachments

• 20200426_170811.jpg
    20200426_170811.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I had a look at the ATS website and was wondering that they don't mention anything about strike capabilities or carrying weapons...

" Integrate sensor packages onboard to support intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, tactical early warning missions and more."

Edit: Considering its length (11,7m) I wouldn't expect a whole lot of internal volume for weapon bays available... Btw, Boeing's T-7A is 14,15m in length

Missiles like Cuda look like 4 could be fit ( someplace). Love the concept as a force multiplier but it doesn't look like an all out stealth design but more like a reduced oberservable aircraft.

What kind of sensor architecture would fit concepts of this scale? Does one even bother with high performance radar on a platform this disposable?

No number have been released, internet guess range from $2~15mil and a lot of what boeing is talking about is low cost manufacturing.

Low cost and probably ITAR free (or relaxed regulation)... This is going to hurt some in Europe requesting billions for the design of similar concepts.

About the missile question, what would be the point if it didn't carry at least 2 inside? Seems like an expensive decoy if there are no aams.

It currently doesn't have a weapon bay, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't get one in the future. Besides that though, it's not just meant to be decoy, but a sensor platform and jammer (and not just a self-propelled ALE-55 at that); the modular nose cones do have quite a lot of volume. While I absolutely don't see this happening, you could even put a couple of AIM-9Xs into that nose if you're okay with having the last 20% of the missile sticking out, or if you're okay with stretching the nose a little further (weight and balance permitting).

Reaching a maximum speed of 14 knots (approximately 16 mph, or 26 kilometers per hour), on the ground, the aircraft demonstrated several activities while maneuvering and stopping on command.

“The low-speed taxi enabled us to verify the function and integration of the aircraft systems, including steering, braking and engine controls, with the aircraft in motion,” said Paul Ryder, Boeing Australia Flight Test manager.

Three Loyal Wingman prototypes will be the foundation for the Airpower Teaming System that Boeing will offer customers worldwide.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqjQC1F0zHY

View: https://twitter.com/Boeing/status/1319082448580452352

“a remote test location in Australia” looks like Woomera. would make sense given its an instrumented weapons test range well away from just about everyone.

talking of offensive scenario...and it's me or AIM-120D there?

Attachments

• ATS-Public-Release_REV_2_FINAL.mp4_snapshot_00.26_[2020.12.22_01.09.08]-.jpg
    ATS-Public-Release_REV_2_FINAL.mp4_snapshot_00.26_[2020.12.22_01.09.08]-.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 277
  • ATS-Public-Release_REV_2_FINAL.mp4_snapshot_00.26_[2020.12.22_01.09.08].jpg
    ATS-Public-Release_REV_2_FINAL.mp4_snapshot_00.26_[2020.12.22_01.09.08].jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 177