1970s Boeing Advanced Bomber Studies

The most conventional “Advanced Mission Adaptive” variant is also the most interesting in terms of an affordable approach in an era when the B-1A was cancelled due to high costs. From what I can see of the configuration, it most likely uses a pair of JT8-D 200 series turbofans and possibly a XJ-99 boost engine in the tail. I’m guessing about half the MTOW of a B-52 and internal volume adequate for at least one rotary launcher. It’s almost a conceptual update of the old B-47, albeit with a mid mounted wing and without the bicycle style landing gear, assuming the main gear is quite far aft of the wing to accommodate the bomb bay. I am puzzled by the surprising lack of leading edge slats and the exceptionally thick wing root.. I wish there was a 3 view.

Boeing Aerospace Co, "Innovative Strategic Aircraft Design Study", Final Report 1 Sept 78 - 30 Mar 79 (Phase II), Report No D180-25245-1, Contract F33615-77-C-0120, June 1979, AD-C018 492L

Attachments

• BoeingBomberPatent1.png
    BoeingBomberPatent1.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 328
  • BoeingBomberPatent2.png
    BoeingBomberPatent2.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 285
Given Rockwell's study for the same requirement was declassified and is available on NTRS site, maybe.
Turns out, after speaking directly to librarians, the answer is not "no." It's "hell no."

Me: "What's the process on getting these reviewed for release?"
Them: "There isn't one."
Me: "So it's permanent and unchangeable?"
Them: "Yes."

shrug 2.jpg

Given Rockwell's study for the same requirement was declassified and is available on NTRS site, maybe.
For whatever reason the Boeing study seems to have been considered more sensitive. It was declassified a little later but was still distribution controlled. This document is also Phase 2, while the Rockwell document is from Phase 1

I am fairly certain DTIC has it in their collection but not scanned and online.

For whatever reason the Boeing study seems to have been considered more sensitive. It was declassified a little later but was still distribution controlled. This document is also Phase 2, while the Rockwell document is from Phase 1

I am fairly certain DTIC has it in their collection but not scanned and online.
At a guess, because Boeing worked as major subcontractor to Northrop on B-2 this is seen as precursor work to B-2.

They have both the phase 1 and 2 docs.

Boeing Aerospace Co, "Innovative Strategic Aircraft Design Study", Final Report 1 Sept 78 - 30 Mar 79 (Phase II), Report No D180-25245-1, Contract F33615-77-C-0120, June 1979, AD-C018 492L

That's the DTIC reference code right there, so an FOIA request to DTIC should at least be reasonably easy to process. Given the reaction of the Air Library librarians, the answer is most likely no however.

I've been denied access to items that have been declassified and referenced by other authors, because "computer says no".

I've been denied access to items that have been declassified and referenced by other authors, because "computer says no".
It's also worth remembering that you're not only a furriner, you live in Mordor. That plays a role in policy decisions.

That's the DTIC reference code right there, so an FOIA request to DTIC should at least be reasonably easy to process. Given the reaction of the Air Library librarians, the answer is most likely no however.

The issue is that in many cases DTIC doesn’t “own” the document. They will scan it and send it to the “owner” who can authorize release. DTIC has the responsibility for the FOIA request but not all of the authority to execute it, and the whole process isn’t well documented. If USAF has release authority they don’t always know how to pass the document and decision back to DTIC.

Hi-res color versions of Prometablava pictures from Bill Sweetman's 'Inside The Stealth Bomber'
Got a couple of the original prints(for distribution based on the high quality paper they are on) for some of these its nice to see some of the others
I'd love to see high-rez scans of 'em...

TinWing

I made a model of the Boeing advanced X Wing bomber concept, unfortunately, I don't have any pictures, but I do have the drawings I used!

Is the drawing in any way official?
My father, from Lancer Slot Car fame who turns 92 on this very day, drew them from an artist's drawing that was found in an aerospace magazine. Somewhere I think I may still have it, the model was in a collection that was sold some time ago, the person who sold it is in these forums goes under the name Allison.

Ahhh! A workbench (and contents) after my heart - right down to the 0.6 sqft of clear working space!
The bench is a place for the tools the work gets done mostly on my lap!lol this is the first model of an aircraft that I have made in 20+ years I am making some vacuum form ones for kicks and giggles!

Attachments

• 20230514_233616.jpg
    20230514_233616.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
  • 20230515_083233.jpg
    20230515_083233.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 122
  • 20230516_153129.jpg
    20230516_153129.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 156
The bench is a place for the tools the work gets done mostly on my lap!lol this is the first model of an aircraft that I have made in 20+ years I am making some vacuum form ones for kicks and giggles!
1/288 scale or so?

Please post when it's time to sell those vacuum formed kits of this, I want one!