ga-boeing 7E7 2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 923
  • 7E7_lg.jpg
    7E7_lg.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 817
  • Boeing787_model_dreamliner-1.png
    Boeing787_model_dreamliner-1.png
    873.7 KB · Views: 793
It would seem like early 7E7 and 787 artwork owed far more to the artist's imagination than to the actual CATIA design during the 2002-2005 time period.

This is called marketing. 7E7 was presented as the most advanced, sophisticated and progressive desing, so it also should look that way. ...at least at the advertisement.

this is actually first 7E7 imagery ever appeared in the open press

Attachments

• 7E7ArS.JPG
    7E7ArS.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 791
Here is yours truly with a 1/36 Boeing 787-8 model that I made a couple of years ago.......

Dating from the time when I did a 6 month stint as Production Manager at a former employers; this is a 1/36 scale Boeing 787-8 model that I made for the manufacturer when the deal was signed with the purchaser. This was made around the time of The Paris Air Show in 2007, it was urgently required by the customer and all my modelmakers and finishers were occupied on other Paris Air Show jobs.

Therefore I had to finish this model myself; I started with a set of mouldings finished in grey primer on the Friday evening; worked through the weekend and dispatched the model to the customer on the following Tuesday. In all I spent about 27 hours on this model. One of my professional modellers would have done it much faster.

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• for scale comparison 1.......JPG
    for scale comparison 1.......JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 732
As requested by Triton, more of the same. Yours truly is a shorty; 5' 4" (1.63 metres) tall to give an idea of the size of the model......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Finished & ready for dispatch 7.......JPG
    Finished & ready for dispatch 7.......JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Ready for final Lacquer 1.......JPG
    Ready for final Lacquer 1.......JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 112
  • for scale comparison 3.......JPG
    for scale comparison 3.......JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 119
Caravellarella said:
As requested by Triton, more of the same. Yours truly is a shorty; 5' 4" (1.63 metres) tall to give an idea of the size of the model......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Thank you very much for sharing images of this fine model. :)

Actually Triton, it wasn't a fine model at all. At that time we were constantly retooling in 1/100, 1/30, 1/36 and 1/24 to meet Boeing's design changes. We had to use a generic engine as the design hadn't settled. Of course the real thing is having a great time (HAH HAH!)......

The model was shipped out to Israel as Boeing needed it for the order signing ceremony. As all my modelmakers were busy on Paris show models, I had to do this model myself because I had done a similar Boeing 757 model years before; the customer was waiting......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• 184.JPG
    184.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Ready for Final Lacquer 2.......JPG
    Ready for Final Lacquer 2.......JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Finished & ready for dispatch 4.......JPG
    Finished & ready for dispatch 4.......JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 94
Caravellarella said:
Actually Triton, it wasn't a fine model at all. At that time we were constantly retooling in 1/100, 1/30, 1/36 and 1/24 to meet Boeing's design changes. We had to use a generice engine as the design hadn't settled. Of course the real thing is having a great time (HAH HAH!)......

The model was shipped out to Israel as Boeing needed it for the order signing ceremony. As all my modelmakers were busy on Paris show models, I had to do this model myself because I had done a similar Boeing 757 model years before; the customer was waiting......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Thank you for sharing the story of its creation. It is a handsome model. I hope that its construction was not too health damaging.

Thanks Triton, I had a horrible time making that model. I am living proof that you can't turn a hobby (and fastidious) modelmaker into a professional modelmaker who can churn out masses of quality, identical models to a price on time. I can hardly bring myself to make a model kit these days......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Finished & ready for dispatch 5.......JPG
    Finished & ready for dispatch 5.......JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 93
The Boeing 7E7 of 2003.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/2003/2003%20-%201686.html

Attachments

• 7E7.JPG
    7E7.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 133

Attachments

• Boeing-787-001.jpg
    Boeing-787-001.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 94
  • AC_787.jpg
    AC_787.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 90
The 7E7 forms shown were not just "artists concepts".
Wind-tunnel testing showed that the shark-fin tail was not aerodynamically optimal.
Airline customer pilots did not like the long sloped nose because of poor sight lines.

More 7E7 (also called Dreamliner) illustrations.

On the top view, it seems a more classic design was also considered for the fin.

The middle view shows very well the high sloped nose that jon was talking about.

Attachments

• gallery_pic_3_large.jpg
    gallery_pic_3_large.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 91
  • ad1a_7e7.jpg
    ad1a_7e7.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 72
  • a22_7e71.jpg
    a22_7e71.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 7E7ArS.JPG
    7E7ArS.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 45
joncarrfarrelly said:
The 7E7 forms shown were not just "artists concepts".
Wind-tunnel testing showed that the shark-fin tail was not aerodynamically optimal.
Airline customer pilots did not like the long sloped nose because of poor sight lines.

According to Blake Emery, director of differentiation strategy at Boeing:

In fact, the shark-tail "really wasn't a problem from a pure aerodynamic standpoint", he says.

The issue with the shark-tail was a mechanical problem. The rudder must be able to sweep across a certain radius and the base of the trailing edge of the vertical fin interfered with that sweep, so the concept was scrapped.

Source: Trimble, Stephen. "Daydream Believer: How Different is the Boeing 787?" Flight International October 22, 2007
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/10/22/218786/daydream-believer-how-different-is-the-boeing-787.html

Brochure - Boeing - Early 7E7 Dreamliner now 787 (B158) found on eBay.

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brochure-Boeing-Early-7E7-Dreamliner-now-787-B158_W0QQitemZ400082283653QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item5d26c32c85

Description:
Brochure - Boeing - Boeing 7E7 Dreamliner - an early single page, double-sided brochure for what is now the 787 - backside contains specs on planned size, range, speed, new technologies, passenger benefits, airline benefits and environmental benefits for the world.

Added from “Found on Ebay” thread

Attachments

• 49f4_1.jpg
    49f4_1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 83
The Boeing 787 began with a conventional look.

Source: Trimble, Stephen. "Daydream Believer: How Different is the Boeing 787?" Flight International October 22, 2007
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/10/22/218786/daydream-believer-how-different-is-the-boeing-787.html

Attachments

• 7E7.gif
    7E7.gif
    171.1 KB · Views: 251