Blue Origin and New SHEPARD RLV

Via Slashdot:
"Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., introduced a last-minute amendment Monday to eliminate the $10 billion. “It does not make a lot of sense to me that we would provide billions of dollars to a company owned by the wealthiest guy in America,” Sanders told The Intercept Tuesday."

Either Sanders is an idiot or he doesn't understand how business works. Or both. (Not that I think BO should get money either but not for the reason he's saying.)
Let's be honest, even a broken clock is right twice a day, and in this case Sanders absolutely has the right of it. This is nothing but a handout to a rich guy that threw a temper tantrum because his company lost a bid.
Well, if we're being "honest", the fact that the company is owned by a "rich guy" (is that a crime now?) is coincidental. Companies not owned by "rich guys" file, and win, protests all the time.
You are not quite accurate. Blue Origin has not won the protest "yet". But they have won the lobbyist game for sure. The senate is interceding before any judgement has been rendered, and giving a "solicited" hand-out. Is the coincidence that the "rich guy" didn't get what he wants, so the senate is giving it to him .......... only by coincidence mind you.
Again, this is not an unprecedented development, and has happened where the company wasn't owned by a "rich guy". :rolleyes: So yes, it's a coincidence. And still looking for the $10 billion check that's being cut for BO.

Via Slashdot:
"Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., introduced a last-minute amendment Monday to eliminate the $10 billion. “It does not make a lot of sense to me that we would provide billions of dollars to a company owned by the wealthiest guy in America,” Sanders told The Intercept Tuesday."

Either Sanders is an idiot or he doesn't understand how business works. Or both. (Not that I think BO should get money either but not for the reason he's saying.)
Let's be honest, even a broken clock is right twice a day, and in this case Sanders absolutely has the right of it. This is nothing but a handout to a rich guy that threw a temper tantrum because his company lost a bid.
Well, if we're being "honest", the fact that the company is owned by a "rich guy" (is that a crime now?) is coincidental. Companies not owned by "rich guys" file, and win, protests all the time.
You are not quite accurate. Blue Origin has not won the protest "yet". But they have won the lobbyist game for sure. The senate is interceding before any judgement has been rendered, and giving a "solicited" hand-out. Is the coincidence that the "rich guy" didn't get what he wants, so the senate is giving it to him .......... only by coincidence mind you.
Again, this is not an unprecedented development, and has happened where the company wasn't owned by a "rich guy". :rolleyes: So yes, it's a coincidence. And still looking for the $10 billion check that's being cut for BO.
LOL - nobody said there is no precedence. In fact, there is precedence. So obviously, there is no coincidence. You sort of proved my point ....... the lobbyist rules

Via Slashdot:

LOL - nobody said there is no precedence. In fact, there is precedence. So obviously, there is no coincidence. You sort of proved my point ....... the lobbyist rules
Okay, keep moving the goalposts. Buh-bye.

Great news. And not an easy one to make.

The Jet set is dead, old-fashioned. Long live to the Space Set!

Last edited:
Geez, is he Bezos' brother at 0:08 ? he looks indeed like a fat clone of Jeff, including the frightening eyes LMAO. :p

Damn it, it just like Nicolas Sarkozy, his father Pal (il a un beau pedigree, Pal - ouarf ouarf !) and his brother Guillaume. The father looks like a taller Nicolas (one foot taller), and Guillaume looks like a fatty clone of Nicolas.

As we say in French "ils sont pas du facteur, ceux là !" (those are from the father for sure, not from a passing mailman or plumber ROTFL)

Branson on July 4 (because America) and Bezos on July 20 (because Apollo) ? is nobody thinking about Bastille day, the 14 ?

(my mom birthday is on July 13 and my stepmother, July 9 - exactly a decade apart, 1943 and 1953, yet only four days apart, damn it - can you believe that ? and how it makes our couple mother's anniversaries a complicated affair since 2006 ?)

Last edited:
Branson on July 4 (because America) and Bezos on July 20 (because Apollo) ? is nobody thinking about Bastille day, the 14 ?
There no french, Sacre Bleu !
What this a CNES program, with manned launch on 14 Julie vivre la Revolution!

While the cost of a pound of Solid state electronics or steel to orbit have nosed down with SpaceX, the pound of meat just skyrocketed...

Blue Origin auctioned off the third seat of the manned-voyage that's set to go down in late July -- the first of its kind for the company -- and they're saying the winning bid went to somebody who dropped ... wait for it ... a whopping $28 MILLION for the opportunity.
I think this is equivalent to what Tom Cruise is said to have paid for his stay in the Space Station...

View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1405195698501476352

Blue Origin seeks a chief engineer for New Glenn's first stage. Among the responsibilities:

"Provide independent review of corrective actions for major failures at the program/product level and work with functional managers in addressing systemic issues"

View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1405288575092989952

Update with a (much appreciated) response from Blue Origin. "We could’ve done a better job phrasing that bullet point in the job description—this is not an indication of any failures, it’s a part of a chief engineer’s role to address, prevent and mitigate any potential failures."

View: https://twitter.com/StarshipFairing/status/1407443495627984897

View: https://twitter.com/hydrocarbonjack/status/1407450116429127681

When we lost the methalox second stage, development was halted on the third stage, since it the hydrolox second stage could complete the NRO requirements without the third stage. We still might get the second stage, but its iffy at best. Instead, we got centaur XL

Last edited:
The thread title has a mistake - its Shepard, as in "Alan Shepard" - not shephard.

hiring blitz

Now that's an appropriate word, as Alabama once had a lot of german rocket scientists, including former nazi ones... von Braun would be proud !

"Our germans are better than their germans" as they say in "The right stuff". ROTFL.

NEWSJUL 15, 2021
First Paying Customer on New Shepard Will Be the Youngest to Fly to Space

Today, Blue Origin announced Oliver Daemen will be the first paying customer to fly on board New Shepard, marking the beginning of commercial operations for the program. He will join Jeff Bezos, Mark Bezos, and Wally Funk aboard the first human flight on July 20. At 18-years-old and 82-years-young, Oliver Daemen and Wally Funk represent the youngest and oldest astronauts to travel to space.

The winner of Blue Origin’s auction, who has asked to remain anonymous at this time, has chosen to fly on a future New Shepard mission due to scheduling conflicts. Club for the Future announced this week the auction gift has enabled Club to donate $1 million to 19 non-profit organizations ($19 million in total), all of which are working to support the future of living and working in space.

“We thank the auction winner for their generous support of Club for the Future and are honored to welcome Oliver to fly with us on New Shepard,” said Bob Smith, CEO of Blue Origin. “This marks the beginning of commercial operations for New Shepard, and Oliver represents a new generation of people who will help us build a road to space.”

Flying on New Shepard will fulfill a lifelong dream for Oliver, who has been fascinated by space, the Moon, and rockets since he was four. Oliver graduated from high school in 2020 and took a gap year before continuing his studies to obtain his private pilot’s license. This September, Oliver will attend the University of Utrecht to study physics and innovation management.

Interesting information to discuss Blue Origin. The space company announced they remain on track for their first human spaceflight on Tuesday, which will carry founder Jeff Bezos and three other passengers on a suborbital hop 100 km above West Texas. In a nutshell, Jeff Bezos will eventually make complete space flight ( not suborbital like Richard Branson did ) soon and become the first complete space tourist in the world. So keep monitoring this future event with Jeff Bezos and Blue Origin

They did it. Nice one. I like the fun they had.
We have entered the age from sometime turbulent space flight to that of the space flight of the turbulents ;)

Hat down to master ground control for her patience.

Last edited:
Interesting information to discuss Blue Origin. The space company announced they remain on track for their first human spaceflight on Tuesday, which will carry founder Jeff Bezos and three other passengers on a suborbital hop 100 km above West Texas. In a nutshell, Jeff Bezos will eventually make complete space flight ( not suborbital like Richard Branson did ) soon and become the first complete space tourist in the world. So keep monitoring this future event with Jeff Bezos and Blue Origin
Hate to burst your bubble but Jeff Bezos flight is also sub-orbital. Also, the first space tourist happened years ago with at least one person purchasing a ride on a Russian capsule. What are you, Bezos' publicist or something?

They did it. Nice one. I like the fun they had.
We have entered the age from sometime turbulent space flight to that of the space flight of the turbulents ;)

Hats down to master ground control for her patience.
A shame Elon didn't one-up the both of them and ride a Dragon to the ISS. ;)

I heard Bezos talk about his vision of space and was amazed how aware he is now, specifically mentioning how earth industry will be off-earth based in the future (we have talked about that on this forum).
With this kind of unique awareness and his position as a successful entrepreneur, the best that could happen to both him and Elon would be them to partner.

They should have an attentive look at what really divide them and start overcoming whatever really is left in b/w.