Blue Origin and New SHEPARD RLV

sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
I recommend you read "Elon Musk" by Ashlee Vance some time, if you haven't done so already.

I reckon you could learn more about the man by watching the Joe Rogan podcast than by reading a "tell all" book written by a 3rd party.

Was for example his behavior against employees and spouses discussed in this podcast? If not, I think I'll continue to rely on other independent sources than just the man himself.

Because somebody trying to make coin off a tell-all is going to be objective?

Have you read the book, or are you just judging it without even looking at the cover?

I've read the book. Good over-view of the man, his beginnings, and a rather detailed look at the going's on at PayPal, SpaceX, and Tesla. Yes, a bit salacious in parts, but overall a good, informative read; struck me as a fair balance of info and dirt.

David

martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
I recommend you read "Elon Musk" by Ashlee Vance some time, if you haven't done so already.

I reckon you could learn more about the man by watching the Joe Rogan podcast than by reading a "tell all" book written by a 3rd party.

Was for example his behavior against employees and spouses discussed in this podcast? If not, I think I'll continue to rely on other independent sources than just the man himself.

Have you read the book, or are you just judging it without even looking at the cover?

Just asking. Tell-all books aren't generally known for their objectivity.

sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:

Just asking. Tell-all books aren't generally known for their objectivity.

People who go on shows or podcasts to talk about their own life are generally even less so.

martinbayer said:
People who go on shows or podcasts to talk about their own life are generally even less so.

Seen below: A man putting his best foot forward to fool people.

Attachments

• jlgcgqhxtcn0wk9fd4qr.png
    jlgcgqhxtcn0wk9fd4qr.png
    445.1 KB · Views: 113
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:

Best foot, indeed - in his mouth, maybe. Once again, not doing himself any favors *at all* with NASA or the SEC there...

Plus, taking a psychotropic drug like weed does most certainly by no means imply that in his altered state of mind he spoke with complete objectivity or candor, to put it mildly - Pot ain't exactly Pentothal, from what I gather.

martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:

Best foot, indeed - in his mouth, maybe. Once again, not doing himself any favors *at all* with NASA or the SEC there...

Plus, taking a psychotropic drug like weed does most certainly by no means imply that in his altered state of mind he spoke with complete objectivity or candor, to put it mildly - Pot ain't exactly Pentothal, from what I gather.

You really missed the point.

martinbayer said:

It doesn't really matter if inaccuracies are uttered because
- the speaker is too addled to spot the truth if he stumbled over it and it bit him in the arse OR
- the speaker is consciously trying to fool his audience

I think you are spot on, Martin.

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Elon-Musk-donates-400000-to-Flint-Community-Schools-for-student-laptops-503239501.html

What a horrible person.

Isn't it just amazing how so many love to judge thoses who accomplish what only the judger can dream. Talent comes in all kinds of packages. Some you like, some you don't, but nevertheless appreciate the genius.

update on New Glenn
first video march 2017
https://youtu.be/BTEhohh6eYk

update video January 2019
https://youtu.be/LSftIaLhQzE

the new faring, new landing legs.
the second stage with 2 BE-3 engines (hydro lox).

Bonus
New Shepard Flight History: Missions 1-9
https://youtu.be/89gBER7l2t0

https://twitter.com/blueorigin/status/1086361054446141440

The next launch attempt for #NewShepard #NS10 mission will be Jan 21. We’ve fixed our ground infrastructure issue and both the vehicle and weather look good. Stay tuned for launch timing. Live webcast will be on http://blueorigin.com #GradatimFerociter http://bit.ly/2HhFcmn

Interesting info in Blue Origin presentation of the Flight

about New Shephard
Unit #1 crashed during first light
Unit #2 is now a Museum piece at Blue Origin

Unit #3 is for Payload only
Unit #4 is for manned flights for end 2019 begin 2020.

also announcement of "Fleet of New Shepard"

Some detail on future plans in this article.

New Shepard makes 10th launch as Blue Origin aims to fly humans late in 2019

For Blue Origin, the company's first flight of its reusable New Shepard system in more than six months served a dual purpose. It provided additional test data for the launch system as the company moves closer to crewed flights, and the launch allowed the company to fly eight NASA-sponsored research and technology payloads into space through NASA’s Flight Opportunities program.

Bezos emphasizes altitude advantage of New Shepard over SpaceShipTwo

NEW YORK — As Blue Origin prepares to start flying people on its New Shepard suborbital vehicle, the company’s founder says the altitude the vehicle can reach will put it at an advantage over Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo.

In an on-stage interview with SpaceNews during a Wings Club luncheon here Feb. 20, Jeff Bezos reiterated statements made by other Blue Origin executives that the company expects to start flying people on New Shepard later this year.

“This is the first time that I’ve ever been saying ‘this year,’” he said of those plans. “For a few years I’ve been saying ‘next year.’”

https://spacenews.com/blue-origin-studying-repurposing-of-new-glenn-upper-stages/

Grey Havoc said:
https://spacenews.com/blue-origin-studying-repurposing-of-new-glenn-upper-stages/

An interesting, if ancient, idea.

Attachments

• C8xBKj8VwAENk-L.jpg
    C8xBKj8VwAENk-L.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 26
  • a-1977-concept-drawing-for-a-space-station-known-as-the-quotspiderquot-GE4HGE.jpg
    a-1977-concept-drawing-for-a-space-station-known-as-the-quotspiderquot-GE4HGE.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 23
  • AvWeekASS.jpg
    AvWeekASS.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 74
  • atlas14.jpg
    atlas14.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 1449672125-assembly700.jpg
    1449672125-assembly700.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 75
  • cass%20boxtop%2001.jpg
    cass%20boxtop%2001.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 88
  • etwic88.jpg
    etwic88.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 92
Blue Origin appears to be preparing for another New Shepard suborbital flight from its West Texas launch site; NOTAM closes airspace starting Thursday morning, through Sunday. (link: http://bit.ly/2ZN2oOJ) bit.ly/2ZN2oOJ

And confirmed by BO flight 11 on the 02/05/2019.

We are targeting the next launch of #NewShepard tomorrow May 2nd at 8:30 am CDT / 13:30 UTC. The mission will take 38 microgravity research payloads to space. Watch the launch live at (link: http://www.blueorigin.com) blueorigin.com #NS11

Last edited:
Looking forward to the New Shepard launch tomorrow. So I would make that 2:00 pm BST in the United Kingdom. :cool:

active dampening could have counter-acted the rebound endangering the Main booster landing.

Jeff Bezos is about to speak publicly about Blue Origin, his secretive rocket company

Things are different this week. Blue Origin is hosting a rare event with media in Washington, DC, on Thursday. Bezos himself is scheduled to speak, but it's not entirely clear what will be discussed.
The invitations said that Bezos plans to give an update on Blue Origin's "progress and share our vision of going to space to benefit Earth." Spokespeople for Blue Origin declined to share further details.

Blue Origin presentation

With surprise on Long term Goal of Blue Origin
If they goes this way, They need super heavy lift rocket "New Armstrong"

I am still none the wiser if Bezos was looking for NASA financially input into this project?

It appears that he is, as he directly mentions that his system will be capable of meeting NASA's plan to put humans back on the Moon by 2024 with a stretched-tank version of the mock-up he showed, along with an ascent vehicle on top:

unknown[1].png

Wow! Bezos speaks! A remarkable presentation. Doable. A most convincing argument as to the reason why.

Musk, Bezos, Branson, and the Chinese …. the good times are back.

David

Wow! Bezos speaks! A remarkable presentation. Doable. A most convincing argument as to the reason why.

David

I envision a NASA or Blue Origin "bug" sitting on the moon and then a big-a$$, 60's style (complete with fins), chrome Starship lands next to them.

It appears that he is, as he directly mentions that his system will be capable of meeting NASA's plan to put humans back on the Moon by 2024 with a stretched-tank version of the mock-up he showed, along with an ascent vehicle on top:

View attachment 613802

I’ve seen some imply that they are a new space company that acts to much like an old space company. Ot is it just they know to play the game on the Hill.

David

I envision a NASA or Blue Origin "bug" sitting on the moon and then a big-a$$, 60's style (complete with fins), chrome Starship lands next to them.

View attachment 613803

and out of that bright, shiny, sleek spaceship steps, Jim Barns!

Image result for destination moon movie
Image result for destination moon movie

Blue Origin unveils lunar lander

A company source, speaking on background, said later that the lander has gone through several design cycles to arrive at the current concept. That work has included refining the requirements and the vehicle design, although the lander is not yet at a preliminary design review level of maturity.
That work has been aided by NASA, which awarded Blue Origin two awards in August 2018 through its Tipping Point program to mature key exploration technologies. One of those awards covers cryogenic fluid management needed for the lander’s propulsion system and the other involves testing of landing technologies, such as lidars and altimetry sensors. In both cases the company plans to test those technologies on its New Shepard suborbital vehicle.

Reinstating the necessary support infrastructure on the ISS from scratch is not going to be a trivial task (such infrastructure for supporting local, lunar and deep space flights was deleted from the plans back when Freedom was downgraded into Alpha, prior to the Russians coming aboard the project. Supposedly NASA planned to restore it at a later stage but never did).

David

Likely not good news for the Outer Space Treaty. Good riddance, I say.