• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Blue Origin and New Shephard RLV

martinbayer

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
616
Reaction score
100
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
I recommend you read "Elon Musk" by Ashlee Vance some time, if you haven't done so already.
I reckon you could learn more about the man by watching the Joe Rogan podcast than by reading a "tell all" book written by a 3rd party.
Was for example his behavior against employees and spouses discussed in this podcast? If not, I think I'll continue to rely on other independent sources than just the man himself.
Because somebody trying to make coin off a tell-all is going to be objective?
Have you read the book, or are you just judging it without even looking at the cover?
 

merriman

David Douglass Merriman lll
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
269
Reaction score
32
I've read the book. Good over-view of the man, his beginnings, and a rather detailed look at the going's on at PayPal, SpaceX, and Tesla. Yes, a bit salacious in parts, but overall a good, informative read; struck me as a fair balance of info and dirt.

David
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
12,198
Reaction score
393
martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
I recommend you read "Elon Musk" by Ashlee Vance some time, if you haven't done so already.
I reckon you could learn more about the man by watching the Joe Rogan podcast than by reading a "tell all" book written by a 3rd party.
Was for example his behavior against employees and spouses discussed in this podcast? If not, I think I'll continue to rely on other independent sources than just the man himself.
Because somebody trying to make coin off a tell-all is going to be objective?
Have you read the book, or are you just judging it without even looking at the cover?
Just asking. Tell-all books aren't generally known for their objectivity.
 

martinbayer

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
616
Reaction score
100
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
I recommend you read "Elon Musk" by Ashlee Vance some time, if you haven't done so already.
I reckon you could learn more about the man by watching the Joe Rogan podcast than by reading a "tell all" book written by a 3rd party.
Was for example his behavior against employees and spouses discussed in this podcast? If not, I think I'll continue to rely on other independent sources than just the man himself.
Because somebody trying to make coin off a tell-all is going to be objective?
Have you read the book, or are you just judging it without even looking at the cover?
Just asking. Tell-all books aren't generally known for their objectivity.
People who go on shows or podcasts to talk about their own life are generally even less so.
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
12,198
Reaction score
393
martinbayer said:
People who go on shows or podcasts to talk about their own life are generally even less so.
Seen below: A man putting his best foot forward to fool people.
 

Attachments

martinbayer

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
616
Reaction score
100
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
People who go on shows or podcasts to talk about their own life are generally even less so.
Seen below: A man putting his best foot forward to fool people.
Best foot, indeed - in his mouth, maybe. Once again, not doing himself any favors *at all* with NASA or the SEC there...

Plus, taking a psychotropic drug like weed does most certainly by no means imply that in his altered state of mind he spoke with complete objectivity or candor, to put it mildly - Pot ain't exactly Pentothal, from what I gather.
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
12,198
Reaction score
393
martinbayer said:
sferrin said:
martinbayer said:
People who go on shows or podcasts to talk about their own life are generally even less so.
Seen below: A man putting his best foot forward to fool people.
Best foot, indeed - in his mouth, maybe. Once again, not doing himself any favors *at all* with NASA or the SEC there...

Plus, taking a psychotropic drug like weed does most certainly by no means imply that in his altered state of mind he spoke with complete objectivity or candor, to put it mildly - Pot ain't exactly Pentothal, from what I gather.
You really missed the point.
 

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
2,370
Reaction score
99
martinbayer said:
Best foot, indeed - in his mouth, maybe. Once again, not doing himself any favors *at all* with NASA or the SEC there...

Plus, taking a psychotropic drug like weed does most certainly by no means imply that in his altered state of mind he spoke with complete objectivity or candor, to put it mildly - Pot ain't exactly Pentothal, from what I gather.
It doesn't really matter if inaccuracies are uttered because
- the speaker is too addled to spot the truth if he stumbled over it and it bit him in the arse OR
- the speaker is consciously trying to fool his audience

I think you are spot on, Martin.
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
12,198
Reaction score
393
https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Elon-Musk-donates-400000-to-Flint-Community-Schools-for-student-laptops-503239501.html

What a horrible person.
 

djfawcett

I really should change my personal text
Joined
Dec 16, 2012
Messages
41
Reaction score
2
Isn't it just amazing how so many love to judge thoses who accomplish what only the judger can dream. Talent comes in all kinds of packages. Some you like, some you don't, but nevertheless appreciate the genius.
 

Michel Van

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
4,257
Reaction score
99
update on New Glenn
first video march 2017
https://youtu.be/BTEhohh6eYk

update video January 2019
https://youtu.be/LSftIaLhQzE

the new faring, new landing legs.
the second stage with 2 BE-3 engines (hydro lox).


Bonus
New Shepard Flight History: Missions 1-9
https://youtu.be/89gBER7l2t0
 

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
2,451
Reaction score
347
https://twitter.com/blueorigin/status/1086361054446141440

The next launch attempt for #NewShepard #NS10 mission will be Jan 21. We’ve fixed our ground infrastructure issue and both the vehicle and weather look good. Stay tuned for launch timing. Live webcast will be on http://blueorigin.com #GradatimFerociter http://bit.ly/2HhFcmn
 

Michel Van

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
4,257
Reaction score
99
Interesting info in Blue Origin presentation of the Flight

about New Shephard
Unit #1 crashed during first light
Unit #2 is now a Museum piece at Blue Origin

Unit #3 is for Payload only
Unit #4 is for manned flights for end 2019 begin 2020.

also announcement of "Fleet of New Shepard"
 

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
2,451
Reaction score
347
Some detail on future plans in this article.

New Shepard makes 10th launch as Blue Origin aims to fly humans late in 2019

For Blue Origin, the company's first flight of its reusable New Shepard system in more than six months served a dual purpose. It provided additional test data for the launch system as the company moves closer to crewed flights, and the launch allowed the company to fly eight NASA-sponsored research and technology payloads into space through NASA’s Flight Opportunities program.
 

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
2,451
Reaction score
347
Bezos emphasizes altitude advantage of New Shepard over SpaceShipTwo

NEW YORK — As Blue Origin prepares to start flying people on its New Shepard suborbital vehicle, the company’s founder says the altitude the vehicle can reach will put it at an advantage over Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo.

In an on-stage interview with SpaceNews during a Wings Club luncheon here Feb. 20, Jeff Bezos reiterated statements made by other Blue Origin executives that the company expects to start flying people on New Shepard later this year.

“This is the first time that I’ve ever been saying ‘this year,’” he said of those plans. “For a few years I’ve been saying ‘next year.’”
 

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
9,011
Reaction score
199
https://spacenews.com/blue-origin-studying-repurposing-of-new-glenn-upper-stages/
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
12,198
Reaction score
393
Grey Havoc said:
https://spacenews.com/blue-origin-studying-repurposing-of-new-glenn-upper-stages/
An interesting, if ancient, idea.
 

Attachments

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
2,451
Reaction score
347
Blue Origin appears to be preparing for another New Shepard suborbital flight from its West Texas launch site; NOTAM closes airspace starting Thursday morning, through Sunday. (link: http://bit.ly/2ZN2oOJ) bit.ly/2ZN2oOJ

And confirmed by BO flight 11 on the 02/05/2019.

We are targeting the next launch of #NewShepard tomorrow May 2nd at 8:30 am CDT / 13:30 UTC. The mission will take 38 microgravity research payloads to space. Watch the launch live at (link: http://www.blueorigin.com) blueorigin.com #NS11
 
Last edited:

FighterJock

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
34
Looking forward to the New Shepard launch tomorrow. So I would make that 2:00 pm BST in the United Kingdom. :cool:
 

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Joined
Feb 12, 2017
Messages
948
Reaction score
56
active dampening could have counter-acted the rebound endangering the Main booster landing.
 

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
2,451
Reaction score
347
Jeff Bezos is about to speak publicly about Blue Origin, his secretive rocket company

Things are different this week. Blue Origin is hosting a rare event with media in Washington, DC, on Thursday. Bezos himself is scheduled to speak, but it's not entirely clear what will be discussed.
The invitations said that Bezos plans to give an update on Blue Origin's "progress and share our vision of going to space to benefit Earth." Spokespeople for Blue Origin declined to share further details.
 

Michel Van

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
4,257
Reaction score
99
Blue Origin presentation

With surprise on Long term Goal of Blue Origin
If they goes this way, They need super heavy lift rocket "New Armstrong"
 

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
2,451
Reaction score
347
I am still none the wiser if Bezos was looking for NASA financially input into this project?
 

Dragon029

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Mar 17, 2009
Messages
684
Reaction score
36
It appears that he is, as he directly mentions that his system will be capable of meeting NASA's plan to put humans back on the Moon by 2024 with a stretched-tank version of the mock-up he showed, along with an ascent vehicle on top:

unknown[1].png
 

merriman

David Douglass Merriman lll
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
269
Reaction score
32
Wow! Bezos speaks! A remarkable presentation. Doable. A most convincing argument as to the reason why.

Musk, Bezos, Branson, and the Chinese …. the good times are back.

David
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
12,198
Reaction score
393
Wow! Bezos speaks! A remarkable presentation. Doable. A most convincing argument as to the reason why.

Musk, Bezos, Branson, and the Chinese …. the good times are back.

David

I envision a NASA or Blue Origin "bug" sitting on the moon and then a big-a$$, 60's style (complete with fins), chrome Starship lands next to them.

613803
 

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
2,451
Reaction score
347
It appears that he is, as he directly mentions that his system will be capable of meeting NASA's plan to put humans back on the Moon by 2024 with a stretched-tank version of the mock-up he showed, along with an ascent vehicle on top:

View attachment 613802
I’ve seen some imply that they are a new space company that acts to much like an old space company. Ot is it just they know to play the game on the Hill.
 

merriman

David Douglass Merriman lll
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
269
Reaction score
32
Wow! Bezos speaks! A remarkable presentation. Doable. A most convincing argument as to the reason why.

Musk, Bezos, Branson, and the Chinese …. the good times are back.

David

I envision a NASA or Blue Origin "bug" sitting on the moon and then a big-a$$, 60's style (complete with fins), chrome Starship lands next to them.

View attachment 613803
and out of that bright, shiny, sleek spaceship steps, Jim Barns!

Image result for destination moon movie
Image result for destination moon movie
 

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
2,451
Reaction score
347
Blue Origin unveils lunar lander

A company source, speaking on background, said later that the lander has gone through several design cycles to arrive at the current concept. That work has included refining the requirements and the vehicle design, although the lander is not yet at a preliminary design review level of maturity.
That work has been aided by NASA, which awarded Blue Origin two awards in August 2018 through its Tipping Point program to mature key exploration technologies. One of those awards covers cryogenic fluid management needed for the lander’s propulsion system and the other involves testing of landing technologies, such as lidars and altimetry sensors. In both cases the company plans to test those technologies on its New Shepard suborbital vehicle.
 

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
9,011
Reaction score
199
Reinstating the necessary support infrastructure on the ISS from scratch is not going to be a trivial task (such infrastructure for supporting local, lunar and deep space flights was deleted from the plans back when Freedom was downgraded into Alpha, prior to the Russians coming aboard the project. Supposedly NASA planned to restore it at a later stage but never did).
 

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
9,011
Reaction score
199
Wow! Bezos speaks! A remarkable presentation. Doable. A most convincing argument as to the reason why.

Musk, Bezos, Branson, and the Chinese …. the good times are back.

David
Likely not good news for the Outer Space Treaty. Good riddance, I say.
 
Top