Anduril Industries / Blue Force Technologies Fury

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Red Medium is the program name for the stealthy air adversary UCAV being developed for the USAF aggressor force:

Red-Air-Blue-Force-page-018-scaled-e1628894078168-900x600.jpg

from BFT site

Attachments

• homescreen-bg.png
    homescreen-bg.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 136
  • plane-white-3.png
    plane-white-3.png
    90 KB · Views: 110
  • conc2.png
    conc2.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 106
  • conc4.png
    conc4.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 107
  • conc3.png
    conc3.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 98
  • conc5.png
    conc5.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 93
  • conc6.png
    conc6.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 95
Red-Air-Blue-Force-page-018-scaled-e1628894078168-900x600 (1).jpg
blue force technologies has presented a new stealth aerial targeting aircraft.
Software-Defined, Unmanned Jets Pitched For USAF Training Role

For two years, Blue Force Technologies has been developing a UAS called REDMedium to perform as much as 60% of the adversary air training mission for the Air Force.
Stealth Adversary Drone Contract Expected in September
With a 5,000-pound max takeoff weight, the aircraft—known for now as “Red Medium”—will have modular payloads and open-systems architecture, allowing a wide array of threats to be simulated, the company’s founder and president Scott Bledsoe said. It will use a Williams FJ44-4 engine, a 4,000-pound thrust class “military trainer derivative of their biggest business jet engine,” he said. The 20-foot-long, 17-foot-span, carbon-fiber jet will be capable of attaining Mach .95 and turning at up to 9Gs, with a 4G sustained turn. It will also have persistence to fly two adversary engagements without landing to refuel.

Aviation Week calls this trainer-like small UAV the "RED Medium".
However, the actual registered trademark seems to be "Fury".
Trademarks filed by Blue Force Technologies Inc. (Total 8 trademark
There are a few other interesting trademarks...
34534.PNG

This UAV will use the SBIR system, and by Phase 2, it will be
It seems to have been tested up to "Iron bird".
Application of Unmanned Aerial Systems to Generate Low-Cost 4th- and 5th- Generation Threat Replication
Application of Commercial Technologies to Generate Quasi-5th Gen Unmanned ADAIR
The podcast by the officer talked about the cruise missile simulations they were doing on the Cessna Citation.
The next generation of combat UAVs with Joseph Murray and Andrew Van Timmeren

This aircraft appears to be an attempt to use existing components and achieve low cost.
But it has a life of 6000 hours for use in ADAIR. Boeing referred to their own ATS as Semi Attritable, but could it be close to that?
I'm having fun trying to gather more information about this interesting plane!

CREATING A BALANCED ADVERSARY AIR ENTERPRISE TO BOLSTER USAF COMBAT READINESS
This is a report that was registered with DTIC and later removed, but it contained a UAV plan called ADAIR-UX for this Fury.

897.PNG fury.PNG

870990.PNG
BFT
This shape has also been confirmed on the Blue Force Technologies website.
However, the image currently used in Air Force Magazine and other articles is not a rudder-vator, but a general shape of a T-38-like tail, which is presumed to be an early proposal.

AFRL program advances unmanned air system used for training U.S. fighter pilots
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio (AFRL) – The Air Force Research Laboratory Aerospace Systems Directorate has awarded a Small Business Innovation Research contract to Blue Force Technologies to develop an unmanned air vehicle that supports adversary air (ADAIR) training missions. The Bandit program contract was awarded as the result of a Strategic Financing (STRATFI) proposal selected by AFWERX with a $9 million initial value and options to complete the design and build of up to four air vehicles.

The 12-month effort will mature the vehicle design to critical design level, perform engine ground testing and validate the design of the engine installation under the technical guidance of AFRL subject matter experts. Options under this contract, if exercised, will complete the design and engineering tasks, produce up to four air vehicles and complete initial flight testing.
It appears that new funds have been raised.
AFRL seems to have named it the Bandit Program.

Blue Force Technologies to invest $3 million in Wake Forest, create 125 jobs
Blue Force Technologies, Inc., an industry leader in the design and manufacture of airframes and components for small aircraft up through spacecraft, plans to invest a minimum of $3 million in the facility formerly occupied by 3Phoenix, Inc., located at 204 Capcom Ave.

-The new facility will provide the space and infrastructure to support the production of up to five aircraft per month.
Does making this investment mean that we can expect more contracts from the Air Force...?

Attachments

• Fury-Aircraft.jpg
    Fury-Aircraft.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 174
No. It's a startup. Investing in capital assets has been a privileged way for many other to divest investor's money legally.
You can see the same scheme in other aerospace Startups that start investing in large facilities even before they have a mature design to produce.

This is likely discussed elsewhere, but the number of start-up companies tells me that the American services are realizing that the expense of platforms from the OEM are getting to the point that they cannot afford a sufficient number of platforms for the cost. So they are looking to smaller companies with lower overhead. Perhaps this is also the case in the UK with the exciting new modular trainer. There is also the strategic consideration that there are going to be more competitors in the market (China, Turkey, Korea, etc.) that can also underbid the current market cost.

Seems they have reworked slightly the inlet and front section. Engine looks like as if they added padles for thrust vectoring:

Blue_Force_Technologies.jpg

It looks a bit like a Vought Regulus II prototype - the ones that had undercarriages...

They gave me a report on the current progress.

Attachments

• fury.png
    fury.png
    307.9 KB · Views: 51
just in case, this is not Fury
look like covers for some (weapons?) dispensers(?)

Attachments

• conc9a (1).png
    conc9a (1).png
    84.5 KB · Views: 60
It's another design for sure. Looks like something like a liquid release. Quite mysterious to me.

Maneuvering spoilers?

That's what I thought first. But look at the tubes under the hexagonal panels. It seems that's what needs to be manoeuvred clear of the fuselage.

And then, why would you release effectors or flares from this position, right in the path of the wing and tail? I also understand that the blue highlighted volume is an integral tank.

Attachments

• Anduril_BFT_Announcement.jpeg
    Anduril_BFT_Announcement.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Anduril_Fury_Front.jpeg
    Anduril_Fury_Front.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Anduril_Fury_Intake.jpeg
    Anduril_Fury_Intake.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Anduril_Fury_Profile.jpeg
    Anduril_Fury_Profile.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Anduril_Fury_Tail.jpeg
    Anduril_Fury_Tail.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7722.jpeg
    IMG_7722.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
And recently purchased an energetics propulsion company. I’m liking how Anduril is moving forward.

A small, low powered UAV probably already has a significantly smaller signature compared to a high performance fighter. If the goal is operating as a red force stand in, it is probably unnecessary to suppress the IR.

it seems cheaper to impose limits on existing IR sensors to mimic degradation against stealth fighter than to build the hardware into red force drones.

I had no idea Palmer Luckey was the founder of this company, back when I got my VR oculus devkit he personally answered a bunch of support questions I had, now he's building jets?!

it seems cheaper to impose limits on existing IR sensors to mimic degradation against stealth fighter than to build the hardware into red force drones.
Assuming that there's a way to do that in the existing sensor firmware...

I just don't think it is a big deal given the dramatically smaller output of the engine compared to a modern manned fighter. It might even need some kind of signal augmentation.