Blackhawk Attack Helicopter

S

STINGRAY

Now, I am verry curious about if ther was some unbuilt Blackhawk project. I herd about it somewhere and forgot all about it ???. I do know there was an experimental attack helicopter before the Blackhawk and had the same name, but thats not what I am talking about.

frank

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
It's also known as the Sikorsky S-67. It Googles up well enough. Assuming you're refering to the UH-60 as the 'other' Blackhawk, that's incorrect as the UH-60 is the Black Hawk, named after an Indian chief of some status. The S-67 is named Blackhawk, after the tribe. In some circles, the S-67 is also called the AH-3, since it was based on Sikorsky's H-3 designs.

STINGRAY said:
Now, I am verry curious about if ther was some unbuilt Blackhawk project. I herd about it somewhere and forgot all about it ???. I do know there was an experimental attack helicopter before the Blackhawk and had the same name, but thats not what I am talking about.

S

STINGRAY

It's also known as the Sikorsky S-67. It Googles up well enough. Assuming you're refering to the UH-60 as the 'other' Blackhawk, that's incorrect as the UH-60 is the Black Hawk, named after an Indian chief of some status. The S-67 is named Blackhawk, after the tribe. In some circles, the S-67 is also called the AH-3, since it was based on Sikorsky's H-3 designs.

Quote from: STINGRAY on Today at 12:37:23 am
Now, I am verry curious about if ther was some unbuilt Blackhawk project. I herd about it somewhere and forgot all about it . I do know there was an experimental attack helicopter before the Blackhawk and had the same name, but thats not what I am talking about.

Thanks for that, but is there an attack version of the Black Hawk? Or an unbuilt project?

CammNut

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Sikorsky is developing something called the Armed Battlehawk, which is a kit that can be added to a Black Hawk to give it a combat capability the company claims is close to the Apache, minus the Longbow radar.

The kit is made up mainly of Israeli equipment, including Elbit targeting sensors, and it will be armed with Hellfire and another missile, presumably Israeli. Firing tests are planned in Israel next year.

The Battle Hawk concept was first offered, unsuccessfully, to Australia:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/ah-60l.htm

S

STINGRAY

Wow. And its called the "Battlehawk". thats a cool name!

frank

Reaction score
Well, they had a mock up of an attack helo simialr to the Apache, based on the H-60 airframe. IIRC, it was S-71.

Orionblamblam

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.up-ship.com
STINGRAY said:
Now, I am verry curious about if ther was some unbuilt Blackhawk project.
There was a facetted stealthy Blackhawk project. Still just a transport, not a gunship. But still pretty spiffy-looking.

yasotay

Reaction score
frank said:
Well, they had a mock up of an attack helo simialr to the Apache, based on the H-60 airframe. IIRC, it was S-71.
While Sikorsky did do some work on a attack (tandem seat) helicopter based on the Blackhawk dynamic components I do not believe they ever built a full mock up. I believe that they were "asked" not to confuse the politicians with too many options for attack helicopters, especially since the Army had already elected to go with the Apache. I did see a scale model at Ft. Rucker over ten years ago, but it disappeared when the organization who owned it moved to another building.

An interesting note is that the experiences of the American Special Operations Aviation Regiment and the Columbians, using armed Blackhawks, has renewed interest in the concept with other users. I noted recently that the Israelis are looking into developing an armed Blackhawk.

Orionblamblam- could you post any pictures of the stealthy-hawk?

frank

Reaction score
Well, somewhere, I think in this forum as well as in my stuff, is a photo pf either a big model or a mock-up of what's claimed to be the S-71. There's also a crude sketch of it around too.

yasotay said:
frank said:
While Sikorsky did do some work on a attack (tandem seat) helicopter based on the Blackhawk dynamic components I do not believe they ever built a full mock up. I believe that they were "asked" not to confuse the politicians with too many options for attack helicopters, especially since the Army had already elected to go with the Apache. I did see a scale model at Ft. Rucker over ten years ago, but it disappeared when the organization who owned it moved to another building.

An interesting note is that the experiences of the American Special Operations Aviation Regiment and the Columbians, using armed Blackhawks, has renewed interest in the concept with other users. I noted recently that the Israelis are looking into developing an armed Blackhawk.

frank

Reaction score
Just to clarify, which helo ARE we talking about? The Blackhawk (S-67) or the Black Hawk (UH-60)? I know it's confusing, bit it's the Army & Sikorsky that caused it.

S

STINGRAY

This is giving me ideas on designing my own version of a tandem attack version of the Black Hawk. I think i'll call it... the AH-60Z "Blackhawk Warrior". Yeah! I like it!

Stingray

Brony rotorhead...
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I think there is an attack version of the S-70 (UH-60). My grandfather told me he saw a Black Hawk at an air show with wings and an undernose gun. He also said that info on the aircraft was almost top secret. I have never seen a UH-60 with a gun like that.

Jeb

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
The UH-60 can be fitted with "wings" called ESSS (external stores something something) that can carry fuel and weapons. I've seen photos and drawings of H-60s with Hellfire quads and rocket pods, and there are also podded guns that can be carried and used. I'm told that the Army has H-60s in ops in Iraq with rockets and grenade launchers as well as door-mounted miniguns, but I don't think I've ever seen actual pics. That setup, however, would look very Hind-esque.

Stingray

Brony rotorhead...
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Jeb said:
The UH-60 can be fitted with "wings" called ESSS (external stores something something) that can carry fuel and weapons. I've seen photos and drawings of H-60s with Hellfire quads and rocket pods, and there are also podded guns that can be carried and used. I'm told that the Army has H-60s in ops in Iraq with rockets and grenade launchers as well as door-mounted miniguns, but I don't think I've ever seen actual pics. That setup, however, would look very Hind-esque.

I'm aware of that configuration....

.... Its the undernose gun part that caught my attention.

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
Could something like this be used for SEAD missions.

frank

Reaction score
Again, I think you mean "Black Hawk".

yasotay said:
frank said:

frank

Reaction score
I don't know where this came from, but this is a pic of 'something' supposedly based on the H-60 & supposedly designated S-71.

yasotay said:
frank said:

Attachments

frank

Reaction score
Same for this one.

frank said:
I don't know where this came from, but this is a pic of 'something' supposedly based on the H-60 & supposedly designated S-71.

yasotay said:
frank said:

Attachments

yasotay

Reaction score
Great pictures of the S-71. I must admit that I am not sure if this is the Sikorsky proposal for the AAH effort or if it was an effort to persuade the Army of an economy of commonality across the majority of the fleet. I recall that in the late 1980's Sikorsky made a pitch on that sort of thing. It was doomed before conception as Army Aviation was enthralled with its new Apache and had Corps Commanders writing doctrinal works on its Deep Attack viability to fight the Soviet Army artillery sitting in (then) East Germany.

As to a Blackhawk with a underslung gun, the picture below is from FLIGHT, as a representation of a potential Israeli "Attackhawk" effort.

Attachments

Stingray

Brony rotorhead...
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
yasotay said:
As to a Blackhawk with a underslung gun, the picture below is from FLIGHT, as a representation of a potential Israeli "Attackhawk" effort.
Yasotay, I think thats it. Thanks. ;D