Big changes coming to Secret Projects Forum 2nd March....

Merge together Early Aircraft Projects and Postwar Aircraft Projects?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Big changes coming to Secret Projects Forum soon....

Hood said:
Looking good.
I like the idea of prefixes. I assume there will there be a pre-selectable dropdown list of prefixes when making new posts?
Just thinking that conformity would be good across prefixes. Also, its trusting us as the membership to remember to use them and not get them wrong! ;D
Yes. Prefixes can be specific to forums or applied more widely.

Another interesting idea is that you can swap the default "sections" view for a "new posts" view. At present its in "sections" view, and has a button for "new posts" view. You could swap this around so the default view is all new posts across the whole forum, and if you want to see the specific sections view, you'd click a button for that.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hood said:
Looking good.
I like the idea of prefixes. I assume there will there be a pre-selectable dropdown list of prefixes when making new posts?
Just thinking that conformity would be good across prefixes. Also, its trusting us as the membership to remember to use them and not get them wrong! ;D
They are pre-configured for user's to select (per forum) and can be edited by moderators should the user wrongly classify their post.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score

I did not see this before but separate please.

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score

I don't see the need to separate if we can filter the posts based on time frame/eras, which it seems we can. But it works either way for me. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I rather like this, though the lighting between the SST and the Model 265 is inconsistent. I've also revived the Model 265 forum icons from the old design. Of course, flipping the Model 265 means the "USAF" on the wing is gibberish - I'd have to fix that up.

Attachments

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm targeting Saturday 2nd March for the migration. I've not got any remaining issues to resolve, just configuration stuff.

Graham1973

Reaction score
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I'm targeting Saturday 2nd March for the migration. I've not got any remaining issues to resolve, just configuration stuff.
Looking forward to them when they happen, as long as no threads disappear.

Hood

Reaction score

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I rather like this, though the lighting between the SST and the Model 265 is inconsistent. I've also revived the Model 265 forum icons from the old design. Of course, flipping the Model 265 means the "USAF" on the wing is gibberish - I'd have to fix that up.
What about retaining the 265 on the forum icons and replacing the main image with a third project? Maybe a pre-jet project?

icyplanetnhc

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
aiaa.seas.ucla.edu

For those of us who are newer or less sentimental, why the Model 265?

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

A pre-jet project? Sure, if I can get a suitable image. It'd need to be colour, preferably CGI.

Why Model 265? It was a cool shape, nothing more than that. However it's been part of the forum's identity for most of its 13 years....

In the end, however, it's my forum, so my final decision.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Graham1973 said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Looking forward to them when they happen, as long as no threads disappear.
Number of thread and attachments match, so I'm pretty happy with that. Also old links will still work due to the magic of NGINX rewrites.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hood said:
Maybe a pre-jet project?
Suggestions? Not my era!

Wurger

Reaction score
I believe the merger of "Early Aircraft Projects" with "Postwar Aircraft Projects" will have a detrimental effect on my "era", which is "Early Aircraft Projects". I never visit the other... Is there a "Postwar Aircraft Projects" lobby here? I love this forum but I am already fearing these big changes.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wurger said:
I believe the merger of "Early Aircraft Projects" with "Postwar Aircraft Projects" will have a detrimental effect on my "era", which is "Early Aircraft Projects". I never visit the other... Is there a "Postwar Aircraft Projects" lobby here? I love this forum but I am already fearing these big changes.
I haven't decided to merge anything - I'm just trying out some ideas based on new features of the new board. Ultimately, I don't really ever visit Early Aircraft Projects as I don't have any interest in it, and if most users fall into the same camp of one or the other, then keeping them separate is probably sensible. I want to canvass opinions, but in the end have to use my best judgement.

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I haven't decided to merge anything - I'm just trying out some ideas based on new features of the new board. Ultimately, I don't really ever visit Early Aircraft Projects as I don't have any interest in it, and if most users fall into the same camp of one or the other, then keeping them separate is probably sensible. I want to canvass opinions, but in the end have to use my best judgement.
My dear Paul,

please leave them seperated,I will give you example for what we don't want,if I open a topic
for Boeing unknown fighter Projects,I can send a designs from 1910s or 1920s with a designs
from 1980s or 1990s in same topic,the dividing make us obligation with the time and kind of
aircraft.

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Argh, I missed the vote. I would like to see them kept separate - the present way they are defined is a good one.

My 2 cents worth... Mark

dan_inbox

Reaction score
I would like to see them kept separate too.

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Me too. I was away when the vote took place

Schneiderman

Reaction score
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
.......... I don't really ever visit Early Aircraft Projects as I don't have any interest in it, .....

Shame on you Paul ;) :D. Knowing what came before the era that interests you is rather important ;)

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
My vote to keep it separated

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

also I suggest that we can make a seperate section for actually built aircraft,instead off put
it in Aerospace section,and it will be only one section from the year 1900 up to 2019 and
more.

steelpillow

So many projects, so little time...
Reaction score
Website
www.steelpillow.com
Missed the poll because I actually want a third section, with the early aircraft projects split between prewar and 1939-45. It wastes time having to trawl through posts about the wrong era. But there was no option for that, it was a bit of a Hobson's choice for me.

Richard N

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Paul,

As I proposed in Reply #71, will there be a capability to view only the attachments in a thread or those posted by a member?

Thanks,

Richard

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Viewing all attachments in a topic is a paid addon, not built in functionality to the forum. Also, the developer for that addon is sick and not selling addons right now. We can revisit it later but at present, the answer is no.

hesham

Reaction score
hesham said:
Hi,

also I suggest that we can make a seperate section for actually built aircraft,instead off put
it in Aerospace section,and it will be only one section from the year 1900 up to 2019 and
more.
Believe me,that's suggesting will clear the Aerospace section from many un-wanted topics.

Avimimus

Reaction score
I'd actually split it further to make things easier to navigate:
- Pre-1918
- 1918-1945
- 1945-2000

I would also split off helicopters/rotorcraft.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep I'm trying to resolve the private message import issue.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I considered

Prewar
World War 2
Postwar

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
I thing Pre WWII and Post WWII work pretty well. Can't see how other proposals could be more efficient.

There is an after and before with WWII I the aerospace technology.

I shouldn't add more categories like rotor craft?. Why not VTOL or Flying Boats then... I'll keep it simple as it has been until now.

Hood

Reaction score
I am not sure what further splits would achieve in terms of efficiency or navigability?
Fragmentation just makes it harder to follow and increases the chance of oddities and once you go down spiltting up things there is no end to it (civil, military, decade, engine type, biplanes, flying boats etc.).
A binary choice is at least very simple and meaningful topic title should suffice to indicate what a thread contains.

Pragmatically the scope for major changes is limited, there are 137 pages of pre-1945 projects and 218 pages of post-1945 projects (19 threads per page = 6,745 topics!) that would have to be sifted through if we were to start classifying for a new system.
While I liked the idea of the Prefixes, the work in applying them correctly would have been massive to the moderator team.

hesham

Reaction score
Congratulation my dear Paul,

a modern form,wish to you and our great site more progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.