Biden To Pitch EV Plan [Electric vehicle discussion]

Fluff

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I agree with most of what Hobbes said.

The other issue, if your running these high speed 'car-trains' on the open highway, is great uncle Fred, who likes to drive his 1948 Morris Minor, complete with semaphore indicators, on the motorway, sometimes he gets up to 45 mph!!

The 'best' charging system would be induction, so special areas or lanes where power was available, as mentioned your not going to run the whole shebang, its going to be more of a range extender, and probably sold as a premium service as well.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
@shin_getter : There is some solutions to the problem you've listed. Speed, for example, is the only way forward against nocive emissivity and generalized traffic jams paralyzing entire cities (the less time every car spends on motorways the less congested they are).
But there is some tricks: times ago I designed a small conceptual vehicle that could link themselves on the fly. I am not going to get down in all the details but if you take the combined power of a dozen vehicles with adequate aerodynamics, you'll get a dynamically configured vehicle able to sustain speed only known to trains on long range.

I had always envisioned hyperloops working that way (it's not the case, obviously).

Once again. It's not that simple but a lot of what is needed is reasonably doable today. The main obstacle would be sociological in most countries where speed is seen as a crime, automobile are the archetype of individualism and asset management the main driver of some economy (the more distance you are able to commute, the less the value of historic area).

Last edited:

Hobbes

Reaction score
For manually piloted vehicles, the optimum speed for combating congestion is around 80 km/h. At higher speeds, traffic density must decrease to allow for enough distance between vehicles for emergency braking.
Higher speeds are possible only when all vehicles are autonomous, and we're a long way away (I'd estimate several decades) from that happening.

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
For manually piloted vehicles, the optimum speed for combating congestion is around 80 km/h. At higher speeds, traffic density must decrease to allow for enough distance between vehicles for emergency braking.
Higher speeds are possible only when all vehicles are autonomous, and we're a long way away (I'd estimate several decades) from that happening.

Case in point: Bordeaux motorway - presently third worse in France. Only topped by b) Marseille motorway (kalashnikov mandatories there) and Paris périphérique (mandatory APC there).

Driving on Bordeaux motorway I often think one half of the drivers are Hannibal Lecter perverted pyschopaths and the other half have Forrest Gump level of I.Q.
I kid you not - in 15 years it hasn't changed, certainly not improved and probably got worse.
What is startling is that there is seemingly no middleground - it is either murderous SOBs or dumb people cranked past 11 - one wonder how they got their driving licence in the first place.

Typical situation: stuck behind a Forrest Gump driving at snail pace. Proceeds to overtake him. In a split second ends with an Hannibal Lecter behind you trying to kill you. Avoid throwing the finger at the SOB: makes things worse.

Now, throw a little rain on the whole thing in the early hours, and carnage instantly happens.

I once checked my mobile phone trafic app to see WTH was happening. The motorway is a 45 km circle with the A10 highway connecting to the north and south. There were little icons of accidents / crashed cars (nearly a dozen of them) all around the circle, a bit like measles buttons popping everywhere.

(sigh)

Last edited:

shin_getter

Reaction score
I don't see energy costs being the issue at all, as EV technology have reduced energy consumption by a factor of 3. Add lower costs from using non-fuels and you get 4x for double speed right there, just to hit the old cost of travel.

Also the logic of renewables and infrastructure-constrained economics means that capacity is built to handle peak loads while there is zero marginal cost for low demand times. A road/power system capable of handling thanksgiving would have massive surplus on a typical day and even more so on low demand times for fast travel. Renewables outputs power according to weather and not demand so zero marginal price power should be common for large part of the year. (of course, serious shortages can happen at peak demand)

The problem with drivers is going to be a huge social problem. Autonomy good enough for controlled highway travel is feasible even now if a controlled environment could be supplied. A high speed autonomous lane with marginal speed increase (says 25%) is probably what is remotely implementable in the near term, but it would help greatly with tighter control of road environment (make vehicle confusing features like questionable lane lines a government liability) and information system integration from road to vehicle and vehicle to vehicle communication standard (probably optical (read: lights: perhaps high frequency modulated)) could be helpful.

The notion of the elite-lane (even if toll road) means much political opposition is plausible. The political coalition building is a unsolved problem.... I suppose this is where a tireless connected genius could make a difference.

dannydale

Reaction score
Typical situation: stuck behind a Forrest Gump driving at snail pace. Proceeds to overtake him. In a split second ends with an Hannibal Lecter behind you trying to kill you. Avoid throwing the finger at the SOB: makes things worse.
You forgot the part where your presence as you pass startles Gump awake, and now he's flooring the gas to what he thinks is trying to match his speed to 'traffic flow' but in reality turns into Gump racing you neck-and-neck white-knuckle balls-to-the-wall as hard as he ever possibly tried at anything in his entire life. Now you and Gump are both hurtling at 180kph and Mister '300Kph' Hyde still isn't happy that traffic exists.

I'm from Louisiana. This is exactly true here as well, and I also hear exact copies of this same story from places like Toronto and Montreal. These three places have the highest car insurance rates on the entire continent.
Now, throw a little rain on the whole thing in the early hours, and carnage instantly happens.
Oh yeah, these Special Stupids actually go faster and turn their headlights off.

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Oh yeah, these Special Stupids actually go faster and turn their BRAINS off.

Fixed a typo.

I have another theory - that rain makes the Gumps even duller and the Lecters even more sociopathic. My girlfriend and a lot of others people I discussed that matter with are equally blasé. Driving in Bordeaux is total Hell. Even more since the city suffers from a severe bout of "Anne Hidalgo fever" and bus lanes have multiplied.
Except the Lecters lunatics use them to overtake. From the left.

But we shall stop there not to hijack that thread further...

shedofdread

Reaction score

Volkodav

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Test drove a Volvo XC40 Recharge the other day, that thing is quick! The integrated Google was fantastic, no fluffing around with menus, just "hey Google ....." and its straight to what I was after. Oh by quick I mean as quick as my M-140i but feels even quicker! It, being a small SUV is also very practical while the AWD and low center of gravity (thanks to the batteries) means it is stable and handles well too.