Bell P-59A and P-59B

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
When did the first Bell P-59A first fly, first P-59B first fly. I've exhausted google and my library. -SP

XP-59A: First flight (unofficial) on Oct. 1st 1942 - got airborne during high speed taxiing testing. Officially flew for the first time the next day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_P-59#Design_and_development

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p59.html

Thanks but P-59A number one of 20, P-59B of 30... not XP-59A, YP-59A or unbuilt XP-59B. -SP

Steve Pace said:
Thanks but P-59A number one of 20, P-59B of 30... not XP-59A, YP-59A or unbuilt XP-59B. -SP

Your request for information was absolutely not clear I'm afraid. I, too, believed you were asking for the flight dates of the prototypes.

I have rarely seen books provide the first dates of flight for the production versions. Most of the time you get the first delivery date, which I think is more relevant anyway.

I'm compiling first flight dates of all types, models etc. That's what relevant to me. I said in the title P-59A and P-59B NOT XP or YP or XP-59B- period! It was a request for information - nothing more, nothing less - excuse me if I came across as a dumb, dumb, dummy! BTW: I had forgotten just how super smart most of you are. If I knew it all I wouldn't be asking. -SP

Steve Pace said:
I'm compiling first flight dates of all types, models etc. That's what relevant to me. I said in the title P-59A and P-59B NOT XP or YP or XP-59B- period! It was a request for information - nothing more, nothing less - excuse me if I came across as a dumb, dumb, dummy! BTW: I had forgotten just how super smart most of you are. If I knew it all I wouldn't be asking. -SP

Why do you react like this? I didn't make any judgment on your request or your research work.

When I talked of information being "relevant", I didn't mean it as criticism. Many aviation books will give the first flight dates for the prototypes but the delivery dates for the production types.

As for the topic's title, people often write F-90 for YF-90, YF-103 for F-103, etc., and so I thought it was the same. No big deal here!!

Information I have is it was the YP-59A (ser. 42-108772) that made its maiden flight at Muroc on Aug. 18, 1943. Info from Bell Aircraft Since 1935. I have not been able to locate specific dates for just the P-59A or B.

Does anyone know what was the avionics setup of the P-59s (COM, NAV, IFF, gunsight electronics, etc.)? My understanding is that the bird used the SCR-522 VHF radio and an unknown type of radio compass. What about the IFF?

Does anyone know what was the avionics setup of the P-59s (COM, NAV, IFF, gunsight electronics, etc.)? My understanding is that the bird used the SCR-522 VHF radio and an unknown type of radio compass. What about the IFF?

Attachments

• 404.jpg
    404.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 32