Bell D-218 Amazing Helicopter Project of 1950s

"The prototype is now being built." huh-huh

overscan said:
Joint Future Theater Lift I think ;D
Nope. USAF does not do anything with propellors in the mainstream. Also I doubt it is; a. is stealthy enough b. does not have four turbopfan. One cannot get a job that pays well in the airline industry without four engine turbine time.

flateric said:
"The prototype is now being built." huh-huh
My library is in Connecticut and I am in Texas but I vaguely remember seeing a picture of a Bell powered model of this basic configuration. A reporter might have misconstrued the situation, either a statement about a powered model or the wishful enthusiasm of the Bell engineer he was talking to. The concept had initial appeal because tandem rotors are more efficient in pure lift (as opposed to lift over drag) than a single rotor helicopter, prone to fly sideways from the directional stability standpoint, and often flown sideways when maximum translational lift is required as in the departure from a confined area. My guess is that the cruise L/D of this configuration, even with the lifting fuselage, proved to be less than hoped for since none (?) have ever reached the prototype stage.

An artist impression of the Bell Copter:
(from Aviation Week .6.54)

Attachments

• Bell-Copter-1.jpg
    Bell-Copter-1.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 563
I am pretty sure that on this forum there was a rather deep piece of information about the bell D-218 cargo helicopter, but I am no longer able to locate it
I still have two pictures and the do not correspond to those in this thread and in the bell thread
can you address me to the precise thread

Hi Ermeio,

unfortunately there was no more Info about it;

https://books.google.com.eg/books?id=ziADAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA86&dq=popular+science+flying-wing&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PTIDVNrPJIfsO775gdAE#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://archive.aviationweek.com/search?QueryTerm=Bell+40-passenger+copter

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    508.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 2.png
    2.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 246
ermeio said:
I am pretty sure that on this forum there was a rather deep piece of information about the bell D-218 cargo helicopter, but I am no longer able to locate it
I still have two pictures and the do not correspond to those in this thread and in the bell thread
can you address me to the precise thread

Attachments

• Bell D-218.JPG
    Bell D-218.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 202
  • bell paper planes 4.jpg
    bell paper planes 4.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 67