"From 1944 to 1948 Bartini devoted much effort to the development of the T-117 heavy transport aircraft. Work on the project started whilst Bartini was working at TsKB 29 NKVD as a detainee. Initially designated P-7, the aircraft, designed in both passenger and cargo versions, was a high-wing monoplane with triple vertical tails powered by two Shvetsov ASh-73 18-cylinder radial engines, with take-off rating of 1.700 kW 2.300 hp.
Feature of the project was the fuselage of elliptical cross-section with the larger axis in the horizontal plane. The main transport of the airborne version was designed to carry a load of 8.000 kg 18.000 kg, wear self-propelled guns, trucks, motorcycles, mortars, artillery shells and 122 mm 4.80 caliber and other items loaded through the rear cargo hatch with removable loading ramps. Due to the wide fuselage, it was possible to transport two GAZ-67 jeeps side by side. In addition, 80 military personnel can be carried out in 4 longitudinal rows of seats. There were a few passenger versions with different cabin layout that allows transporting up to 50 passengers at a distance of 1600 km 990 miles at a cruising speed of 365 km / h KN 197, 227 miles per hour.
The construction of the prototype began in 1946, but in 1948 was stopped due to the lack of engines AL-7, which were necessary for the Tupolev Tu-4 strategic bomber, which was given priority on the personal order of Joseph Stalin. There are a number of predictable variants of T-117 with alternative power plants, including the Shvetsov ASH-82FN, experimental Shvetsov Ash-2 and four-row radial 3.600 4.800 kW HP Klimov VK-2 turboprop, but this did not save the project. Unfinished T-117 prototype never had engines and was closed."