• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

BAe VSRAAM

JAZZ

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
British Aeropsace was looking a a project called very short range air-air missile mid-late 90's, it had a multi-spectral seeker 5km range and about 2m long. Attached is schematic and rendering...does anyone know what happened with this project...when it happened and why.

Attachments

• UK- BAe VSRAAM_1a.jpg
    UK- BAe VSRAAM_1a.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 454

elmayerle

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I would presume this was for very close in encounters where anything with a warhead would accomplish an "own goal"? I suppose a decent cannon would work just as well, save that "smart bullets" are at least as expensive.

JAZZ

Reaction score
Should have said, hit to kill and it was to be used from aircraft against incoming anti-aircraft missiles...is this project alive? or is this conceptualy a non-starter.

I don't think mounting a rear gun on a fighter would work...weight and radar implications. Prehaps a version of sweden's Abraham AA projectile would be better suited.

elmayerle

Reaction score
Ah, I assumed it was air-to-air against other aircraft. As a hit to kill against incoming missiles, it might work as it's basically the same principle as the KKV concepts for ABM and ASAT weapons.

CJGibson

Reaction score
Forgive my flippancy, but what was the date of this post?

KB

Firefly 2

Reaction score
elmayerle said:
Ah, I assumed it was air-to-air against other aircraft. As a hit to kill against incoming missiles, it might work as it's basically the same principle as the KKV concepts for ABM and ASAT weapons.

I just wonder about tactical usage...
Using these puppies would mean sacrificing hardpoints that could be used for more conventional offensive or defensive ordnance.
It could work if a flight consisted of a couple of aircraft with strike ordnance and a relative minority carrying a shitload of these babies.
But is it worth the hassle?

JAZZ

Reaction score
This first reported in Janes Defence Weekly 17-4-96. And Kelly I don't forgive your flippancy.

CJGibson

Reaction score
Thankyou for the reference, which puts a different slant on it, even if it is in the April issue. You may recall De Havilland Propellors' "Fireguard", which explains my scepticism.

KB