Sorry mate, I was talking about the graphic, different views and I might have a go at a CAD visual/3d model.
Ah I get you now!
Yes, I was wondering if it was an official drawing or something mocked up by an artist.

Something that i've noticed on the French SSBN is there is a gap between two sets of 8 missiles, what do the French have in that gap that the RN and USN dont have on their SSBN?

It's some kind of auxiliary engineering section: https://www.defense.gouv.fr/marine/.../les-sous-marins-nucleaires-lanceurs-d-engins

Another inboard arrangement drawing that I saw a long time ago (but can't find any more) was more specific, calling it the "verticale électrique". So it's likely a centralized electrical system compartment, the idea apparently being silencing, as indicated by this oblique reference in an article on safety: https://www.academiedemarine.com/documents/MINERVE et EURYDICE.pdf

(it is described as being insulated from the hull)

Attachments

• snle.jpg
    snle.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
The review indicates that the stockpile will be allowed to rise from 180 to a maximum of 260 (pending parliamentary approval of course).
The rationale seems to be “in recognition of the evolving security environment” and is “A minimum, credible, independent nuclear deterrent, assigned to the defence of Nato, remains essential in order to guarantee our security and that of our allies.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ear-warhead-stockpile-to-rise-by-more-than-40

Of course everyone will soon pipe up doubting whether a US silo, US missile and US warhead can ever be truly independent. I suppose it will count towards our 2% contribution to NATO too so will beef up the contribution considerably in cash value.

Of course everyone will soon pipe up doubting whether a US silo, US missile and US warhead can ever be truly independent. I suppose it will count towards our 2% contribution to NATO too so will beef up the contribution considerably in cash value.
That bit at least, will be British, although it will share a design with the US warhead.

Of course the same was true of Polaris.

Hmmmm..... I'm not sure I trust the Guardian on this topic one bit.

Sustainment of warheads means the headline figures are not the numbers available for fitting to Trident.

Out of the 180 stockpile now around 120 are operational (so they say), so its likely out of 260 they should have around 200 operational, that's 40 Tridents with 5 warheads each, enough for 3 boat loads.

Let's be honest though, the government is raising the cap by 40%, its not actually committing to the maximum number (and Johnson seems to have indicated the govenrment will stop publicly reporting stockpile and operational figures).

While the photograph that we have seen of one Dreadnought hull section is circular (duh!), what are the changes that it will be double-hulled with an outer hull configured for sonar stealth? The official renderings seem to hint at that - note the rather sharp shadow line in the second image. The same may apply for the Columbia class. I also include a BAE Systems model of an advanced SSN from a few years back (I suspect that any sub with internal ducting for its propulsion is going to spend a lot of time in dry dock having various marine life scraped out of it). There's also the bow of an Astute class, showing the chines that first appeared on the Trafalgars and in simpler form on the Swiftsures. Likely they were introduced for hydrodynamic reasons initially, but offer advantages in stealth when applied for the full length of the hull.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h5CcknGMiE

Attachments

• HMS Dreadnought Production.jpg
    HMS Dreadnought Production.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 114
  • CvRebiEWEAIuIdf.jpg
    CvRebiEWEAIuIdf.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN0581 copy.jpg
    DSCN0581 copy.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 84
  • U9L.jpg
    U9L.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

The Replacement Warhead Programme has been designated the A21/Mk7 (also known as Astraea). It is being delivered in parallel with the US W93/Mk7 warhead and each nation is developing a sovereign design. This will be the first UK warhead developed in an era where we no longer test our weapons underground, upholding our voluntary moratorium on nuclear weapon test explosions.

Last edited: