• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

BAE SYSTEMS Nimrod MRA.4

EwenS

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
The Victors were replaced by 9 Vulcan B2(MRR) Maritime Radar Recce from 1973 to 1982.

Fluff

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
It was in the early requirements for Nimrod to perform bomber duties for internal security.
Yes it was, coming to think of it. The Shackletons were used to a great degree in conflicts in the Middle East, using bombs and strafing targets with the nose mounted guns. It makes sense, considering that that these aircraft were operating against insurgents, and could loiter for extended periods of time above their positions. It makes sense, although the pulling out of various colonies would make such a use rarity. It is a detail often forgotten about when talking about both the Shackleton and the Nimrod.
We had Shackleton's as ground training airframes, I'm guessing the navigator got to service the 2 x20mm guns in the nose, great view from there(all the 'avionics' were either side of the 'bed' you could lie on)., but must have been 'exciting' straffing armed insurgents, many miles from home, at low level......

Bombing would make a bit more sense.

And a 40 year old shack smells great, all that leather/oil/fuel...brings back memories.

JohnR

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I have seen some amazing 'Radar Photographs' produced using the H2S being used in the recconnaissance role

Wyvern

Reaction score
On another tangent, was there ever any interest in a V bomber MRA? Lots of loiter ability there.

OK, found it.

Didn't they used Victors for the maritime reconnaissance job, in the 70's ? Not "full" MRA however, in the sense of chasing and killing subs...
Never heard of it, but I know that Vulcans used their radar to scan the surface back in the Seventies. It was mentioned in Nimrod's Genesis. It's been a while since I've read the book, so I do invite people to correct me if necessary.

RLBH

Reaction score
One of the RAF Historical Society journals has a map showing how one high-level aircraft (Victors, I think from 543 Sqn originally, then Vulcans of 27 Sqn) with H2S could map the entire Norwegian Sea in a single sortie, and the patrol areas of half a dozen low-level Shackletons to positively identify the contacts.

I believe one of the advantages of Nimrod was that it could do both the high-level search and the low-level identification role when the MR.2 and Searchwater came in.