• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

B-52 "Arsenal Plane"

bobbymike

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
True. I was thinking more in general. For example SpaceX, with their Starship, is breaking new ground in ways we haven't seen since the 60s. Software aside, most military stuff is incremental. We won't see something like Project Pluto (even though Russia has their own nuclear-powered cruise missile). That US Army 1000-mile gun is new.
I agree in terms of airframes and aero structures, etc. we won’t see the 50s & 60s again. I still get surprised reading an old space tech news article saying “we were doing THAT 60 years ago!”

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score

Again I ask if you’re just enhancing/increasing the number of air to ground weapons aren’t you still just a bomber? How does it make it an “Arsenal Plane”
The crucial factor may be who controls the weapons. Arsenal Ship, for example, had no onboard targeting sensors and was supposed to launch weapons "on remote" with other platforms providing the guidance. An Arsenal Plane would presumably be similar, releasing weapons as directed by external observers/controllers who would provide weapon guidance.

bobbymike

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

Again I ask if you’re just enhancing/increasing the number of air to ground weapons aren’t you still just a bomber? How does it make it an “Arsenal Plane”
The crucial factor may be who controls the weapons. Arsenal Ship, for example, had no onboard targeting sensors and was supposed to launch weapons "on remote" with other platforms providing the guidance. An Arsenal Plane would presumably be similar, releasing weapons as directed by external observers/controllers who would provide weapon guidance.
I’ve always felt it should mean “everything in the arsenal” including a deep magazine of A2A missiles.

NUSNA_Moebius

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Seems like there could be a convergence of AWACS and arsenal planes since AWACS has become such a big target, and will need anti-missile weapons against newer ultra-long-range A2A munitions. As systems get more automated, it seems pertinent and practical to have one plane to do both jobs, or at least have your arsenal plane have some kind of limited AWACS-like capability, whether it's stealth or not. Fighters are going to become artillery spotters essentially, and will need mass amounts of smaller missiles to counter enemy aircraft and missiles now too.

Weird to see some anime and video game tropes having some shred of credibility.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
I don't see how. Time on station will dictate that an arsenal plane can't be a loitering AWACS. With an arsenal plane, once your magazine is empty you need to rtb in order to reload, something unthinkable for a platform like an AWACS that need some kind of persistence for the sake of the air armada.

Last edited: