AWG-9/AIM-54 Phoenix for P-3F ??!

Spook

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently i found out a PDF file regarding Military sells of US to Iran before the revolution. The part of the text mentions that Shah was curious to know whether is it possible to equip the P-3Fs and Helicopters to AWG-9 and ultimately AIM-54 Phoenix missile. According to another threat ( http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,18397.msg192692.html#msg192692 ), even Japan had a same idea for their P-3Cs.

Well the main question for me is that based on Imperial Iranian Naval aviation in that time:
-AB 205A/206
-ASH-3D, which of these could be modified and be equipped with AWG-9 and AIM-54 (most probably SH-3Ds) and also was there any counterpart project as such for the US Fleet ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Regards,

~Ak

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 693
Which means it would potentially look something like this - The Lockheed CL-520 'Land-based Fleet Air Defence weapons system!

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Lockheed CL-520 - land-based Fleet Air Defence weapons system, based on the Lockheed P-3 Orion.jpg
    Lockheed CL-520 - land-based Fleet Air Defence weapons system, based on the Lockheed P-3 Orion.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 549
Which means it would potentially look something like this - The Lockheed CL-520 'Land-based Fleet Air Defence weapons system!

Regards
Pioneer
Given some of the plans for the B-52 going forward it would be interesting to have them able to carry something like this

Hello,

Recently i found out a PDF file regarding Military sells of US to Iran before the revolution. The part of the text mentions that Shah was curious to know whether is it possible to equip the P-3Fs and Helicopters to AWG-9 and ultimately AIM-54 Phoenix missile. According to another threat ( http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,18397.msg192692.html#msg192692 ), even Japan had a same idea for their P-3Cs.

Well the main question for me is that based on Imperial Iranian Naval aviation in that time:
-AB 205A/206
-ASH-3D, which of these could be modified and be equipped with AWG-9 and AIM-54 (most probably SH-3Ds) and also was there any counterpart project as such for the US Fleet ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Regards,

~Ak
I haven't read anything about a US equivalent for Phoenix. The missiles would be hard to carry on a helicopter, they're 1000lbs each and the cooling equipment is another 500lbs per missile (for early Phoenix, later Phoenix didn't need external cooling systems).

I'm guessing that the H3s would be the likely carriers of any Phoenix.

I haven't read anything about a US equivalent for Phoenix. The missiles would be hard to carry on a helicopter, they're 1000lbs each and the cooling equipment is another 500lbs per missile (for early Phoenix, later Phoenix didn't need external cooling systems).

I'm guessing that the H3s would be the likely carriers of any Phoenix.
Definitely the Iranian SH-3Ds would have been the intended carriers. Indian Sea Kings can carry a pair of Sea Eagles, which weigh in at nearly 1300 lbs each, plus boosters, so the weight of the expendable payload is feasible. And I suspect they could have fitted AWG-9 at the expense of the Sea King's usual ASW systems.

But missile performance coming off a low-speed, altitude launch platform would surely have been very disappointing. Likely a waste of a very expensive missile. Sparrow might have made more sense; the USN was tinkering with it for the ASMD role, and I think it was tested on Sea King as well as Sea Sprite.

Definitely the Iranian SH-3Ds would have been the intended carriers. Indian Sea Kings can carry a pair of Sea Eagles, which weigh in at nearly 1300 lbs each, plus boosters, so the weight of the expendable payload is feasible. And I suspect they could have fitted AWG-9 at the expense of the Sea King's usual ASW systems.

But missile performance coming off a low-speed, altitude launch platform would surely have been very disappointing. Likely a waste of a very expensive missile. Sparrow might have made more sense; the USN was tinkering with it for the ASMD role, and I think it was tested on Sea King as well as Sea Sprite.
Yeah, that would have been an either AWG9/Phoenix or ASW gear fitment for sure.