Avro Canada SST Feasability Study

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Attached is a plan-view of a 1959 Avro Canada supersonic transport study. (From Canadian Aircraft Since 1909 by K.M. Molson, ISBN: 0370300955.) This STAT (Supersonic Trans-Atlantic Transport) study was listed as configuration 6, a transatlantic design carrying 80 passengers.

A number of online sources link Avro Canada SST studies to the British HSA.1000 concept.

http://www.avroarrow.org/Jim%20Floyd/index.html

"After the Arrow cancellation Jim Floyd ... return[ed] to Britain to head the new Hawker Siddeley Advanced Projects Group. ... In December 1959 they submitted the first industry-sponsored Supersonic Transport (SST) design; the HSA.1000. This was actually based on work done at Avro Canada on an advanced SST and was derived in part from computer studies on optimal SST aerodynamics produced on Avro Canada's digital computer facilities."

There seems to be a host of problems here. I was under the impression that the HSA.1000 was the last submission to the STAC. Nor does the Avro Canada drawing much resemble the HSA project (of course, other Avro Canada concepts may have featured blended fuselages and nacelles mounted further aft.

Does anyone have any details about connections between Avro Canada and HSA SST concepts?

Attachments

• avro-canada-sst-config6-80pax.jpg
    avro-canada-sst-config6-80pax.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 792
Anyone have any information on the performance figures expected for these SST designs? Also, what powerplants were planned?

Hi Delta Force,

I think I saw from a while,an article about this aircraft in a magazine,but I don't
remember that magazine now,and what was its powerplants,but I will check about
that issue.

Delta Force said:
... Also, what powerplants were planned?

Since Orenda Engine was a division of Avro Canada, it is probably safe to assume a civil version of the PS-13 Iroquois turbojet.

[Edit: Forgot to mention, a March 1959 memo by Jim Floyd commented on a perceived "need for a fast jet transport with a range of 1200 miles".]

There were plans to take the Iroquois up to 40,000 lbf thrust, giving it thrust levels on par with (and perhaps superior to) the Olympus engines on the Concorde at a much lower weight. With so much thrust on an aircraft with only 2/3rds the passenger capacity of Concorde (looks like it can carry 84 people), what kind of performance changes would that give? Would that allow this SST to operate from shorter runways and accelerate to cruise speeds than Concorde? Swift acceleration would be the key to a practical SST for moderate distance flights, as the 15 minute sequence on Concorde is impractical as routes become shorter.