Politicians are such good naval strategists and technologists.
Sure if they want some beat up old 30+year old Trafalgars with knackered out reactor cores then I'm sure that can be done. Saves them rotting in Devonport and irritating the irradiated locals (or is that irradiating the irritated locals?). Trafalgars never liked the heat in the tropics, not sure it would be a wise move.
Likewise a Los Angeles looks a snip too. USS Jacksonville is about to decommission, only a cool 40 years young. USS Providence is due to decommission next month, she has a VLS and is only 36 years old. Louisville and Pittsburgh are laid up, the same Flight II standard and the same age range.
So when the HMAS Astutginia commissions in 2040 these second-hand subs would only be about 60 years old, unless they could get hold of Astutes or Virginias before then - both of which are likely to be as rare as hen's teeth until the successor programmes ramp up in about 2040...

It was known they might cancel as early as February:

The timing seems a little suspicious.

I'll have to reread what's been released but I'm pretty sure the UK can't talk about sharing nuclear propulsion tech without the ok of the cousins.

I'm pretty sure that will not have been a problems considering the stance of the PRC.

The acronym may be based on this long standing relationship

AUKUS is effectively Aus being invited to the back room of the Five Eyes club.

Or cast another way, The US is asking the Australians to join the ‘special relationship ‘.
The back room of the back room? Thats pretty far back.

Maybe there is another door, at the back of the second room?

“What about Britain’s withdrawal from east of the Suez Canal in the 1950s or joining the EU in the 1960s at a cost to Australian exports?”

Nice report, but decades are obviously not that guy’s thing.

Not sure you could consider ASPI a completely neutral observer.
It is currently funded by the Australian government, the United States State Department, the Embassy of Japan and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Australia, and by military contractors including Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, Northrop Grumman, Thales Group, and Raytheon Technologies.

Australia will work with the United States and United Kingdom over the next 18 months to discern what the best pathway will be to develop the nuclear-powered submarine technologies. This includes the submarine’s design, as well as decisions related to workforce development and construction., Sinodinos added.

“We want to build a mature design, not spend the next few years redesigning submarines or whatever,” Sinodinos said. In the meantime, he said Australia will be extending the life of the country’s fleet of Collins-class submarines to fill any gaps.

Along with the submarines, the three AUKUS members will also share technology on a number of other areas such as artificial intelligence, quantum computing, cybersecurity and underwater technologies, Sinodinos said. Australia has identified over 60 critical technologies the country believes “are critical to national security going forward” and will be investing in, including those under the AUKUS partnership, he added.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison will announce those technologies Nov. 17, Sinodinos said.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the Blueprint for Critical Technologies on Wednesday to “balance the economy opportunities of critical technology with their national security risks”.

Agreement between the Government of Australia, the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the Government of the United States of America for the Exchange of Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information (Canberra, 22 November 2021).

Attachments

• 1 coversheet.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2 AUKUS treaty text.pdf
    154.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 3 National Interest Analysis.pdf
    199.5 KB · Views: 1
The European Union, famous for detering Russian aggression in Ukraine and Belarus, resisting the Erdogan government in Turkey and building an alliance to challenge Xi in Asia.
There you go Oz, much better to rely on them than the US or UK.
You seem to be thinking that China is hell bent on being aggressive. They are merely following the playbook laid down by Washington and London well before them.

Last edited:
The European Union, famous for detering Russian aggression in Ukraine and Belarus, resisting the Erdogan government in Turkey and building an alliance to challenge Xi in Asia.
You seem to be thinking that China is hell bent on being aggressive. They are merely following the playbook laid down by Washing and London well before them.
When your neighbour buys 6 wild dogs.......

You seem to be thinking that China is hell bent on being aggressive. They are merely following the playbook laid down by Washing and London well before them.
My mistake. Of course a totalitarian country ruled for life by one man, and relying on coal to undercut and remove competition from industry in other countries while ignoring judgements about disputes with smaller neighbouring countries is an ideal partner for Australia.

A comment with little to no relationship to the actual content of the article.
The article a relatively straight capturing of a number of the different players stated perspectives in relation to AUKUS.
No idea why the reaction.

My mistake. Of course a totalitarian country ruled for life by one man, and relying on coal to undercut and remove competition from industry in other countries while ignoring judgements about disputes with smaller neighbouring countries is an ideal partner for Australia.
Not an ideal one but one that can be worked with if you don't want to resort to a war. What are China's concerns, Australia's concerns and the concerns of surrounding countries? You seem to be think America's concerns are identical with Australia's, without even understanding what Australia's are. America is concerned with American concerns.

I heard this a couple of months ago on the ABC, but have only now managed to find the link:

I have to say I highly respect David Kilcallen and support his analogy!

Just as I have to say the term and use "forever alliance" by Scotty from Marketing did turn my stomach.

Regards
Pioneer

China doesn't care about Australia.
It cares about resources that Australia can provide.
Those resources do not include culture, language, people or ideas.

To their view, you will either remain irrelevant barbarians or you will end up imitating China.
And they might well be right since this is effectively what happened to their neighbours.

Ultimately it will be for Australians to decide their foreign and defence policy at the ballot box.
If the UK and US deal is as unattractive as some here are arguing, then the alternatives suggested will get an airing from Australian politicians.
Work with China or there will be war. Buy French submarines or the EU will screw your trade. Sorry if I summarised them poorly.

China doesn't care about Australia.
It cares about resources that Australia can provide.
Those resources do not include culture, language, people or ideas.

To their view, you will either remain irrelevant barbarians or you will end up imitating China.
And they might well be right since this is effectively what happened to their neighbours.
Their neighbours share a border with the PRC. Australia does not. The PRC's reach is limited. Severely limited. We are not the DPRK. We are over 5,000 kilometres away from the PRC.