Aérospatiale / MBDA EUROSAM Aster missile family

A nugget on ASTER's competition:

• Modified version of MICA, called SAMAT (Sol-Air MATra) proposed as an alternative to ASTER 15/30
• Rejected, but the MICA RF seeker was used for ASTER
• Family included SAMAT 2 short range weapon based on RF guided MICA and the SAMAT 3 medium range version with Matra-ONERA ramjet [ed: !] and booster

Source:
Hooton, E R (ed); Jane's Naval Weapon Systems Issue 38, (2003), page 394

RP1 said:
A nugget on ASTER's competition:

• Modified version of MICA, called SAMAT (Sol-Air MATra) proposed as an alternative to ASTER 15/30
• Rejected, but the MICA RF seeker was used for ASTER
• Family included SAMAT 2 short range weapon based on RF guided MICA and the SAMAT 3 medium range version with Matra-ONERA ramjet [ed: !] and booster

Source:
Hooton, E R (ed); Jane's Naval Weapon Systems Issue 38, (2003), page 394

I do remember references to ramjet propulsion for SAAM, probably before 1990.

SAMAT 2/3 sounds very interesting, and I wonder if anyone remembers if there were entries on this proposal in the late-80s editions of "Jane's Weapon Systems?"

Since it is most usually associated with ASTER, a nugget on the early development of the SYLVER launcher, then simply known as "SLV". An 8 cell module actually contained 12 cells, two being used for the unusual end-mounted exhaust plenum. Dimensions per module were 3.81m long, 1.52m wide and 4.5-5.5m high depending on type. Empty weight 6t. It was hoped to be adaptable to Crotale, Seawolf,Standard and SSMs.

Reference: 1984 French Naval Exhibition, IDR 1/1985

SLV early.PNG

With the Aster there are two variants - the Aster-15 and Aster-30, i'd like to know what the 15 and 30 represent?

With the Aster there are two variants - the Aster-15 and Aster-30, i'd like to know what the 15 and 30 represent?
It seems to have originally been the range in kilometers(?) against antiship missiles. Of course "range" for a missile is a very wooly term, as there is simple ballistic range - which for Aster-30 would be in excess of 100km - then there is effective range, which requires us known what Pk is defined as "effective" and what the target is. Physically the difference is in the length of the booster, with a common upper stage "dart".

Such a strange article.

An electromagnetic active seeker was added to the original version of the Aster weapon to increase its accuracy in all weather conditions.

Aster has always had an active radar seeker.

An early artist's impression of the ASTER 15 and an early (circa 1985) impression of a SAMP battery with the SA 90 ramjet powered missile and an early design for the Arabel radar.

Attachments

• ASTER-15.jpg
    ASTER-15.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • SAMP SA90 pic2.jpg
    SAMP SA90 pic2.jpg
    775 KB · Views: 86
France build 5000 VABs, 1800 AMX-10 and a bit less AMX-30s. Unfortunately the latter are all gone. But the lighter vehicles seems to have survived in large numbers. Good for Ukraine then.

French Navy is introducing an improved version of the Aster 15, the Aster 15 EC from 2030 which doubles the range of the missile from an official 30km (actual range believed to be 45km) to 60km+.

I wish we could dump a few more SAMP/T to Ukraine. It seems to be a pretty good alternative to Patriot.

I wish we could dump a few more SAMP/T to Ukraine. It seems to be a pretty good alternative to Patriot.
Despite not being British (I'm Finnish with a Chinese father with distant Uyghur ancestry) I think Britain should order SAMP/T. It is IMO ridiculous that UK has no longer-ranged GBAD than the CAMM, and SAMP/T would bring logistical compatibility with the Type 45. In any case, due to the wars in Ukraine and the Middle East, the production of both Aster missiles and SAMP/T systems must be increased radically.

Despite not being British (I'm Finnish with a Chinese father with distant Uyghur ancestry) I think Britain should order SAMP/T. It is IMO ridiculous that UK has no longer-ranged GBAD than the CAMM, and SAMP/T would bring logistical compatibility with the Type 45. In any case, due to the wars in Ukraine and the Middle East, the production of both Aster missiles and SAMP/T systems must be increased radically.
I think the plan is the CAMM-MR for now.

Last edited:

Strictly speaking, SAMP/T is more complimentary to Patriot than comparable. In any case, the supply of SAM to Red Sea and broader Middle Eastern operations should be the biggest immediate concern. MN supposedly has an adequate Aster missile stockpile but I’d say that allied naval forces need all of the missiles they can get. After all, Red Sea and Persian Gulf navigation is vitally important to global commerce. The revenues from the Suez Canal keep Egypt stable and friendly, not to mention soaring freight rates between Europe and Asia and oil markets that are on edge.

Back
Top Bottom