ASRAAM family tree

bristolfighter

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
A picture showing forty years of missile designs.

This is the UK's most succesful missile family. See other posts on this forum, and BSP missiles, for more.

Attachments

• ASRAAMfamilytree.GIF
    ASRAAMfamilytree.GIF
    9.9 KB · Views: 635

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score

AN/AWW-14(V)

ACCESS: Granted
Reaction score
DKKVKW2XUAAZ7WF.jpg:large

The ASRAAM Block 6 seeker underperformed in testing and remedial work is expected to delay the missile’s in-service date until 2021. Life extension of Block 4 missiles beyond their current out-of-service date of 2022 will mitigate the risk of further delay. Block 6 missiles incorporate a UK-manufactured seeker and will progressively replace Block 4 as part of routine stockpile management.

timmymagic

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Life extension of Block 4 missiles beyond their current out-of-service date of 2022 will mitigate the risk of further delay.

I know we'll never know...but I wonder how long that Lifex will give the Block 4 Asraam. Be nice if we retained them in the stockpile as a war reserve. It's not as if they're not one of the worlds best WVR missiles still..

NMaude

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
What are the odds of an air-launched version of Sea Ceptor being developed?

timmymagic

Reaction score
What are the odds of an air-launched version of Sea Ceptor being developed?
Asraam Block 6 (also known as CSP - Capability Sustainment Programme) includes a technology refresh re-using CAMM (Ceptor) components.

It's unlikely that MBDA will sell an RF seeker version of ASRAAM (or indeed an IR version of Land/Sea Ceptor). They're more likely to focus on other projects like the ASRAAM lookalike ground launched anti-armour weapon (and even then its regretably, increasingly unlikely to see the light of day). I have wondered if a CAMM-ER might arrive on aircraft as it would make a very good medium range BVR between ASRAAM and Meteor in the MBDA line up (easily outclass AMRAAM C's in range), but it is 30cm longer than Amraam so could cause an issue with conformal carry on some platforms, does look doable on Typhoon though....ITAR free however...which for sales, particularly in the Gulf, is increasingly a big thing.

Suspect MBDA's main focus for their future weapons (the increased calibre and drop launched smaller concepts for Tempest and FCAS) will be on Dual-Mode seekers to deal with LO threats more effectively. They've said as much at trade shows.

Last edited:

timmymagic

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Anything about the SRARM?
[/QUOTE]

Genuinely no idea, never seen anything about it.