CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
ARNOUX studies oa lot of flying wings.
Here is the last I know..........

Attachments

Retrofit

Reaction score
Arnoux designed, at least, two other tailless aircraft after WW1.
The Arnoux Racer designed for the Coupe Deutsch de la Meurthe 1922. This aircraft was destroyed few days before the race, with Madon at the controls. Drawing source: "The Speed Seekers" by Thomas G. Foxworth 1975.
The Arnoux Moto-aviette for the Grand Prix de la Moto-aviette organized the "Petit Parisien" newpaper the 13-15 July 1923. Piloted by Goegel, this aircraft was not able to qualify (The winner was a Farman aircraft) Drawing source: "Les Ailes Volantes" by Alain Pelletier.
Both aircraft were designed with the help of Carmier (from the Schwarts & Leon See company) and under the "Société des Avions Simplex" name, hence the names Simplex-Arnoux or Arnoux-Carmier are sometime mentionned concerning those two aircraft.

Attachments

toura

Reaction score
Thank you Retrofit !
I know the "Racer" ...but .. I don't know the "Aviette" !
At least I know 8 different types .........
THANKS AGAIN
bYE

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

I heard that,there is anther Arnoux (Simplex) project,for single seat tailless monoplane,does
anyone know it ?.

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

was this airplane belonged to Arnoux or not ?,page 225;

https://books.google.com.eg/books?id=k1cEAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=ar#v=onepage&q&f=false

Attachments

Retrofit

Reaction score
Yes, Hesham, this aircraft is a modification of the original biplane shown in your thread opening message.
After the first tests performed in february 1922, the aircraft was modified in July by the Hanriot workshops at Orly, the fuselage was replaced by a modified Hanriot 14's one and the landing gear simplified.
The twin vertical fins were later replaced by a single one.

There-after a 3V drawing from the small book here-under, but sorry I can't translate.....

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Thank you my dear Retrofit.

hesham

Reaction score
Just to know;

Arnoux 1909 Biplane was No.1
Arnoux 1912 Monoplane was No.2
Arnoux Stabloplan 1912 was No.3
Arnoux Stablavion 1913 was No.4
Arnoux Stabloplan 1914 was No.5

avion ancien

The accidental peasant!
Reaction score
Here's a nice clear photograph of the Arnoux tailless biplane. I regret that I do not know its source.

hesham

Reaction score
Nice picture my dear Avion.

Richard N

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
I found this version of the Arnoux tailless biplane picture along with some information about it here: http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation%20history/flying%20wings/europe_interwar.htm

The text seems to be a bit confusing, but here it is:

"There is little documentary evidence that Arnoux continued to produce designs under his name, although in 1933 he apparently collaborated with another advocate of tailless craft, Charles Fauvel. Reports do exist of test flights in 1923 of a Madon tailless aircraft that is obviously a derivative of the ill-fated 1922 Arnoux biplane.' The airplane appeared to be nothing more than a Hanriot HD 14 sawed in half, with a large single rudder added just aft of the cockpit. According to test pilot Madon, this arrangement resulted in extremely sensitive directional control. The upper ailerons were rigged to act as elevator trim tabs controlled by a hand wheel in the cockpit. The lower wing ailerons acted as elevators and ailerons.

The Madon airplane demonstrated satisfactory flying characteristics, required no special training for the ordinary pilot, and showed definite promise as a military aircraft. Interestingly enough, Madon was given credit as the inventor of the aircraft."

Attachments

Retrofit

Reaction score
hesham said:
From Ailes 1/1947,

who can include all those aircraft and patents and simplify them small list.
Sorry Hesham,
This text from "Les Ailes" concerns Maurice Arnoux, a racing pilot quite popular and successfull in France between the 2 world wars, not René Arnous, the designer of the tailless aircraft.

hesham

Reaction score
Oh sorry,

I thought wrong they were a brothers.