Armstrong Siddeley 'X' configuration engine

Schneiderman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A question for anyone familiar with Armstrong Siddeley engine projects from the '30s, especially the 'dog' types.
The attached two images are from Armstrong Whitworth patents for cooling ducts for air-cooled engines buried within the wing structure. The first, applied for in 1935, shows a three rows of five cylinders, so that would be the Hyena. The second, from 1938, shows six rows of four cylinders, the four being in a flattened 'X' configuration. The patent is quite specific to this form of engine layout so I would think that it was designed to deal with a planned engine type, presumably one from Armstrong Siddeley. None of the 'dog' projects I am aware of had such a layout.
Any suggestions?
1935 GB463474.jpg 1938 GB504539.jpg

It looks like something that might bhave been considered for the de Havilland DH.91 Albatross

I was thinking that the fuselage section in Fig.5 resembled a Blenheim. Maybe this installation was being aimed at some future Armstrong-Whitworth bomber design?

I had initially thought about maybe a connection to the Miles X series of airliners but I think even for the X.1 the date would be after this - also Miles was looking at their own engine which was only has 6-cylinders.

AW began playing with tailless and flying wing designs, all with buried engines, and AS drawings show buried installations for the Deerhound and Mastiff, so the two companies were certainly looking in this direction for some time.
I had not heard of Miles contemplating engine design. How far did they progress?

AW began playing with tailless and flying wing designs, all with buried engines, and AS drawings show buried installations for the Deerhound and Mastiff, so the two companies were certainly looking in this direction for some time.
I had not heard of Miles contemplating engine design. How far did they progress?

Miles apparently set up a team of four draughtsmen in 1942 to design a 6-cylinder horizontally-opposed air-cooled engine rated at 1,740hp, allegedly to power the X-series but none of them seem to have been designed around the engine and from the X-11 onwards engines nearer 2,500hp were being used. The team was led by Arthur Ham (an expert in ticket machines!) and included Michael S. Wooding and Sid Porter (ex-Autocar illustrator). A prototype was then built by the Experimental Department and tested on a dynamometer up to 70% power around mid-1942 before being abandoned due to the pressures of other work (but the facilities described seem rather poor for developing a new engine). George Miles also designed some variable pitch propellers around the same time, again going no further. No images are known of either project.

Source: Miles Aircraft - The Wartime Years 1939-1945, by Peter Amos, Air Britain, 2012.

The interesting thing here is that the unusual engine configuration in the patent submitted on 30th Sept 1938 demonstrates that AS had in mind such an engine several years earlier than the standard story suggests. It is usually said that the 6 x 4 engine was conceived by Stewart Tresilian in 1941, but he did not join the company until mid-1939, from what I have read.

probably speculative and unrelated, image found online

Attachments

• Components-De Havilland-1942-27007.jpg
    Components-De Havilland-1942-27007.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 16