Arctic Circle Project

mowerjohn

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Here's a quote from Joe Marcus as published in Studs Terkel's book "THE GOOD WAR".

" There were two important secret projects. They had code names. One was the Manhattan Project. We all know what that is now. The other was the Arctic Circle Project. I didn't know what the hell it was. Certain kinds of industrial chains were needed by the Russians for pulleys on ships or something like that. I was supposed to worry about these things. Seems like a simple thing. it had White House priority. Top. The decision was made to build a factory to make that chain. I don't recall it ever being built."

Marcus was in a high position at the War Production Board during WWII. I have been searching for 10 days trying to find anything on this "top secret" project and have struck out. Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be?

mowerjohn

Reaction score
:-[ well this has been a waste of time. Does anyone have an idea as to where I can post this question that would generate more interest?

mowerjohn

Reaction score
May be. The guy who was interviewed was an official at the War Production Board and was in charge of allocating industrial output and raw materials to specific industries/projects. Steel to tank factories or to ship yards for instance. All I know about the project is what was contained within the interview I quoted but it appeared he was referencing a project that had to do with the Soviet Union that was killed after WWII started. Thanks for your input.