• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

André Starck Aircraft And Projects

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
One French aircraft I don't seem to find much about is the Starck AS35A, a very odd-looking twin-pusher with had its ailerons on the surfaces boxing in the wingtips.

Does anyone have any info on this most peculiar bird?

Attachments

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure, that it's the A.35 ? I would think, it's the A.37A, which was built in
several versions, at first with pusher props, as shown here, but modified, too, to
pulling props. Some photos and short descriptions can be found in Gaillards "Les
Avions Francais"

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
Well the book I found it in refered to it as AS35A, but from the plans you've posted, it could very well be one and the same aircraft. I'm not quite sure about the wing tips, though, they don't look quite the same. I'd need photos of the AS.37 to be able to compare.

AeroFranz

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
It is quite curious that the designer chose to put rudders on the wingtip endplates. There is very little moment arm to the c.g., and that might explain the additional, more conventional rudder in the back.
Pretty cool design, do post more info if you find some! :)

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Here are the photos from Pierre Gaillards "Avions Francais 1965-90".
The endplates are set at an angle of about 35° against the horizontal,
so the rudders are used as ailerons, I think.

Attachments

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
In the French press I have seen the term "Nenadovich biplane" applied both to tandem-wing designs (Mignet, Delanne, etc.) and to aircraft with conventional tail surfaces but using two biplane wings in a staggered, box-wing configuration (Stark AS.27 and AS.37, for example). The key concept seems to be the slot effect between the two wings. Does anyone know any more about the origin of this terminology and, presumably, the aircraft designed or built by Mr. Nenadovich that inspired it?

Attachments

Retrofit

Reaction score
Miroslave Nenadovitch was working at the Institut Aeronautique of St Cyr, close to Paris, in 1936.

Rush translation of the article (below) from Aviation magazine concerning the Starck AS-27 (date ?).
"Nenadovitch tested in wind-tunnel around 150 biplanes configurations. His configuration presented a lower Cx max and higher Cz max than an equivalent monoplane formula. His configuration did not stalled at high incidence angles. In fact the top of the polar was absolutely flat. The two planes parameters interacting as a big slot always open."

I don't think he designed an aircraft as such, out of his wind tunnel tests. But André Starck did designed and tested his AS-20 in 1942 retaining this formula, then he used it on his AS-27 and AS-37.

Extracts from:
http://www.engbrasil.eng.br/index_arquivos/art72.pdf
Aviation Magazine (Date ?)
Sport Aviation August 1976

Attachments

Retrofit

Reaction score
Some details concerning the first Nenadovich biplane type aircraft built by André Starck, the AS-20:
1st flight: Oct 23, 1942 (during the German occupation of France, hence the German markings)
Span: 5,84m; Lenght: 5,30m; Wing area: 8m2; EW: 226kg; TW: 373kg; Max speed: 240 km/h; Ceiling: 7500m; Engine: 1 x Régnier 4D2, 74hp.

Photo source: LuftAchiv.de
3V drawing: ukn

Philippe

Attachments

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
With the exception of the AS.20 we are principally in the wrong section, as all others
are post-war types. But as the Nenadovich principal is older and there are pre-war
examples, too, I think, we could leave it here. About the AS.37 we had a thread here
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9070.msg81557.html#msg81557
Attached a drawing of the AS.27.
I once saw a small film of flight tests with the AS.20, in German colours, but couldn't
download it then. Will search again.

Attachments

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi hesham, the first youve posted actually is the AS.90 "New Look", not the AS.07.
On the site you gave the link for, you'll find this link http://www.macla.fr/Projet%20%20Stark%20AS90.html
alongside the wrong labelled photo (actually, the link already has the correct name in it !)
And the real AS.07 actually is a kind of biplane ! ;)

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jens, and congratulations on all your efforts! ;)

hesham

Reaction score
OK my dear Jemiba,

I speak generally,nothing called AS.35.

Great thanks to my dear Toura,and does any know AS.47 ?,I think it was not a project.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
There were two more versions of the AS.37. The AS.37B with a Porsche engine, recognisable
by the cooling intakes, and the AS.37 MINI STOL, a more radical modification with a single pusher
prop behind the cockpit, necessitating a much lower rear fuselage.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Retrofit said:
Some details concerning the first Nenadovich biplane type aircraft built by André Starck, the AS-20:
1st flight: Oct 23, 1942 (during the German occupation of France, hence the German markings)
Span: 5,84m; Lenght: 5,30m; Wing area: 8m2; EW: 226kg; TW: 373kg; Max speed: 240 km/h; Ceiling: 7500m; Engine: 1 x Régnier 4D2, 74hp.

Photo source: LuftAchiv.de
3V drawing: ukn

Philippe

And from Aerophile magazine.

Attachments

avion ancien

The accidental peasant!
Reaction score
AS.37b (F-PYLM) and AS.57 (F-PEAY) are in storage in the reserve collection of Espace Air Passion at Angers-Marcé (q.v. http://www.musee-aviation-angers.fr/collections/avions-et-voilures-tournantes/).

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Not qiute correct to post it here, as the design is from 1943, but as the AS.20 is mentioned here, too,
and a French project from that time probably wouldn't have taken to the air before the end of the war,
I'll post it here:
The AS.30, mentioned here http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19129.msg187861.html#msg187861
by hesham, was a two-seat light a/c, similar to the earlier AS.20, but with a 90 hp Polymechanique engine, enclosed
cockpit and tricycle landing gear. Span was 6,90 m, loaded weight 562 kg and max. speed 225 km/h.
The short text isn't quite clear, if it purely remained a project, or if construction was started and maybe
even finished
(From The Aeroplane Spotter 23rd of September 1943)

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Great find my dear Jemiba.

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
JENS, another time: YOU MADE MY DAY!!!!! :-* :-* :-*

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

there is anther aircraft developed from AS.90 called Super New Look.

Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1982-1983

Attachments

Retrofit

Reaction score
Here-under 2 profiles published in the two-issue "Avions Hors serie" magazine this year "Les avions francais aux couleurs allemandes durant la seconde guerre mondiale / French aircraft under German colors during WW2" by Philippe Ricco (Tremendous work and stunning color profiles. Highly recommended!)

Concerning the Starck 37 F-PYBQ built by Rudolf Nickel, this aircraft has been donated in December 2015 to the Musée Régional de l'Air d'Angers (www.musee-aviation-angers.fr) where it will be on display soon.
Also attached a photo of the Stark AS-70 n°2 F-PBGI (original photo: Jean Bretaud).
This 3 photos were published in the "Magazine du Musée Régional de l'Air" n° 126 -Spring 2016

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
From Ailes Journal 12/1944,

the Starck AS.51.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
From L'Air Revue 1943,

here is a Starck AS.50 Project.

Attachments

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Parenthetical note for anyone who doesn't know.... André Starck was the father of Philippe Starck, the well-known French designer who has done everything from consumer products to major architectural projects.

Bazinga

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score