An unidentified Aermacchi seaplane

Nico

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Every now and then, in the last thirty years, I came thru some pictures of the unfinished Macchi (or Aermacchi) C.206 fighter, that someone call Tuono (thunder) - but I think the name is an invention of a model maker. The C.206 was a fascinating aircraft but with this mail I'm referring to another aircraft that can be seen in the background of the photographs.
For sure is an Aermacchi "idrocaccia" (seaplane fighter) bearing on the nose the number 3780. I'm unable to identify positively this aircraft but even more oscure for me is that number: for sure it's not a Matricola Militare (serial number). In the socalled "old series" all s/n have five figures. In the current series MM.3780 was an IMAM Ro.41.
Perhaps it's an NC (Numero di Costruzione or construction number) or perhaps, more likely, is a foreign serial? The two photos depicting the C.206 and the seaplane together appeared several times on Italian publications but nobody (including myself) attempted a caption with some tentative identification.
Moreover, why an old aircraft of the family of the Lohner-inspired aircraft was in the same workshop with the latest prototypes?
Nico

Attachments

• C.206_361.jpg
    C.206_361.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 281
Hi,
I come back on the unidentified seaplane of my previous post.
Researching the Italian projects of the interwar period and the several single-engined biplane flyng boats built by Aeronautica Macchi, Cant, and Savoia-Marchetti and comparing them, I'm sure that the aircraft behind the wrecked C.206 prototype is a Macchi M.18.
Remains to be explained the numer stencilled on the nose and why an aircraft withdrawn from service in Italy around 1933 was still there about ten years later...
Nico

My dear Nico,

I just see this topic,if that serial number is right (3780),I will check about it.

Perhaps, the C.206 has been assembled in the old shop to hide it from enemy air strikes?
Presence of other aircraft in hangar (if they haven't interrupt production processes) in this case would be natural.

Just my guess, without the real knowledge of situation.

Good luck in searches!