amtrak carrying a stuart?

mackeebryanee13

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Here I am yet again. I apologize beforehand for posting too much Pacific War stuff. I am wondering if someone knew or have seen this kind of amphibious vehicle before.
any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Attachments

• Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    293.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot (21)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (21)_LI.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Hehe, I thought the same thing, jstar! The LVT(A)-4 turret was from the Howitzer Motor Carriage M-8 Scott, essentially a self-propelled gun conversion of the Stuart tank with a 75mm pack howitzer in an open turret. So it wasn't hard to adapt the same turret to the LVT series since the LVT(A)-1 already mounted a Stuart turret.

M8GMC-Saumur.0004z89h67.jpg

Puckapunyal-LVTA4-2.jpg

That 75 mm howitzer was primarily used for bunker-busitng. It was terrible at tank-killing, because of its slow muzzle velocity.

I recall reading about a late war prototype of an LVT fitted with a turret from the M24 Chaffee. I think they were going to put it production for the invasion of the Japanese home islands.

I don't know how common the ammunition was, but I have read that the M66 HEAT ammunition for the 75mm M1 pack howitzer could defeat 89mm (3.5 inches) of rolled homogeneous or face-hardened armor. That would be enough to defeat even something like a Tiger II from the sides or the rear but not from the front, not that any M8 Scott HMC or LVT(A)-4 crew in their right mind would go looking for that fight. Still, that would be more than enough to defeat any but the most exotic and uncommon Japanese tanks.

That 75 mm howitzer was primarily used for bunker-busitng. It was terrible at tank-killing, because of its slow muzzle velocity.