Amsterdam/Brussels aviation sites to see, SPF gathering(s)?

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
It looks like I will be in Amsterdam for work during the week of October 15-19 and passing through Brussels in both directions. I should be able to take some time for myself on one or both weekends. I am mostly focused on historic and homebuilt aviation, but I like wooden boats and old cars, too, and I'm generally open to almost anything. So....

--Does anyone have any suggestions for cool aviation museums, nearby fly-ins or airshows, or other sites to see or things to do October 13-14 or 20-21?

--I'd welcome other general suggestions, too...touristy stuff, places to stay, food, drink, etc.

--Would anyone be interested in helping to arrange a gathering of SPF members in either Amsterdam or Brussels?

Cheers,

Matthew

PS--Are there any nice collections of Fairey/Tipsy planes in Belgium or Fokker or Koolhaven planes in the Netherlands?

There is no collection of Koolhoven or Fokker aircraft in the Netherlands, but the National Military Museum at Soesterberg has several Fokker and one or two Koolhoven aircraft. It's about one hour's drive by car, there is a decent public transport link to it - 80 or 90 minutes.
The Scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam has been renovated some years ago, with the building getting a better deal of it than the collection. It still has some nice items, look for the Koningssloep.
800px-Koningssloep_in_Het_Scheepvaartmuseum.jpg

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam has one aircraft in its collection: a BAT F.K. 23 Bantam, designed by Frits Koolhoven. It's definitely no technology museum, but for various reasons it attracts lots of people.
Food and drink in Amsterdam: let me get back to you on that.

for old cars, the Louwman Collection in The Hague is very good. The Aviodrome near Lelystad has the biggest aircraft collection in the Netherlands.

Just to close the loop, I'll be in Brussels for the day tomorrow, Sunday 14, and visiting the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History if anyone wants to meet up before I hop on the train to Amsterdam in the late afternoon.

I'll be in Amsterdam all week but working so I may not be able to make it to the museums but I'd certainly be up for a chat and a drink if anyone wants to get together some evening to talk aviation esoterica.

PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Matthew

How was your visit and did you enjoy the Military Museum?

Yes, I did enjoy it, lots to see. Some of the exhibits were closed (notably the WWII hall getting ready for the 75th anniversary in 2020) and many of the aircraft were awfully dusty, but there were some interesting bits including a lot of special WWI exhibits and some neat vehicles and aircraft. Here are a few highlights (by no means everything, just the things that caught my eye):

Photos: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IMOzPbqS0XuGcwTUZNReQn00xW3uqyhA
  • WWII T-13 tank destroyer
  • WWI German infantry kit including MP18 & Wex flamethrower
  • WWI Aussie (way cooler uniform) & British infantry kit
  • WWI American infantry kit
  • WWI Mauser tankgewehr
  • WWI French infantry kit with Chauchat & Viven-Bessières grenade launcher
  • Neat propaganda poster about the American entry into WWI
  • WWI Mors Minerva armored car
  • WWI Renault FT tank (tiny for a tank)
  • WWII Link "simulator"
  • 1923 Poncelet Vivette glider
  • Post-WWII special forces Land Rover
  • WWII & post-WWII infantry weapons
  • WWI Schrek flying boat
  • Lovely Tipsy S.2
  • One-off Kreit & Lambrickx KL-2 homebuilt with complex Lysander-like wing
  • A very well-traveled Mignet HM.293
  • A cute Croses EC-3, also using the Mignet formula
  • Tipsy Nipper!
  • More pretty Tipsy types including a detail of the slotted wing added to one version
  • Jean Pissoort J.P.2 ultralight motorglider
  • Renard parasol fighter replica under construction
  • Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter
  • Pottier P.40 ultralight flying wing
  • Post-WWII Daimler armoured car
  • Gimli's favorite pistol