North American Rockwell / Boeing B-1 Lancer

Reportedly, as part of its defensive EW suite, the B-1A was intended to have a towed decoy related to the TDU-X.

It is also worth mentioning that two separate people claimed this thing was being developed as a towed decoy for the B-1A bomber before it was canceled. It is possible that an offshoot of this towed target program did have that concept in mind, but we cannot find any evidence that anything came of it. A towed electronic warfare and even infrared-enabled decoy for the B-1A would have been quite useful for ensuring its survivability.

Such a decoy would have to of been capable of being stable at high speed and the small towed decoys we know today were just not possible during the 1970s when the B-1A was being developed. It's also worth noting that the B-1A's born-again successor, the B-1B, was one of the first aircraft in the USAF's stable to received modern towed decoys. So maybe there is something to these claims, we just need to find documentation of it.

For a bit of comparison with the EW suite of the B-1B:
Reportedly, as part of its defensive EW suite, the B-1A was intended to have a towed decoy related to the TDU-X.

It is also worth mentioning that two separate people claimed this thing was being developed as a towed decoy for the B-1A bomber before it was canceled. It is possible that an offshoot of this towed target program did have that concept in mind, but we cannot find any evidence that anything came of it. A towed electronic warfare and even infrared-enabled decoy for the B-1A would have been quite useful for ensuring its survivability.

Such a decoy would have to of been capable of being stable at high speed and the small towed decoys we know today were just not possible during the 1970s when the B-1A was being developed. It's also worth noting that the B-1A's born-again successor, the B-1B, was one of the first aircraft in the USAF's stable to received modern towed decoys. So maybe there is something to these claims, we just need to find documentation of it.

Hey, I was only joking you guys.

213.JPG

The U.S. Air Force Global Strike Command concluded its divestiture of 17 B-1B Lancers Sept. 23, as the last bomber departed Edwards Air Force Base, California, to fly to the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona.

The divestiture of the aircraft is in support of the U.S. Air Force’s efforts to modernize America’s bomber fleet by inducting the B-21 Raider, as authorized by the National Defense Authorization Act.

“The divestiture plan was executed very smoothly,” said Brig. Gen. Kenyon Bell, AFGSC director of logistics and engineering. “With fewer aircraft in the B-1 fleet, maintainers will be able to give more time and attention to each aircraft remaining in the fleet.”

The 17 B-1B aircraft were retired from a fleet of 62, leaving 45 in the active inventory. Out of the 17 retired, one went to Tinker AFB, Oklahoma, as a prototype for structural repair actions; one went to Edwards AFB as a ground tester; and one went to Wichita, Kansas, to the National Institute for Aviation Research for digital mapping; and one went to Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, as a static display for the Barksdale Global Power Museum. The remaining 13 aircraft will be stored at the boneyard at the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group at Davis-Monthan AFB in Type 4000 storage. Four of those will remain in a reclaimable condition that is consistent with Type 2000 recallable storage.
USAF Global Strike Command Divestitures 17 B-1B Aircraft, Moves Towards B-21 Raider
B-1B Lancer

The retirement of the B1-B did not affect the service’s lethality or any associated maintenance manpower, and allowed officials to focus maintenance and depot-level manpower on the remaining aircraft, increasing readiness and paving the way for bomber fleet modernization to meet future challenges.

“Beginning to retire these legacy bombers allows us to pave the way for the B-21 Raider,” Bell said. “Continuous operations over the last 20 years have taken a toll on our B-1B fleet, and the aircraft we retired would have taken between 10 and 30 million dollars per aircraft to get back to a status quo fleet in the short term until the B-21 comes online.”

By retiring these aircraft now, AFGSC can focus on prioritizing the health of the current fleet, including modernization efforts, to make the bomber fleet more lethal and capable overall, said Bell.

The Air Force needs to transition from three bombers to two — the rebuilt B-52H Stratofortresses and the next-generation B-21 — to deter both established and rising powers. This change is vital to future joint and allied operations because no other service or partner nation provides long-range bomber capability.

With their own money? I think they’re going to have an uphill battle selling the upgrade to an aircraft on its way out.

With their own money? I think they’re going to have an uphill battle selling the upgrade to an aircraft on its way out.
The old Bone is still slate for another decade of of service with the Air Force already showing it can fit the missile, or a similar size one in its bay.

Extrenal Pylons are a generally an easy thing to put together when you already have most of the work down. Mainly the attaching the thing to the plane.

Which the B1 does in six places.

They mainly have to rewire the system, which is easy. And test how to make the pylon so the missile release cleanly, again fairly easy these days with computer modeling. I be shock if it takes more then 18 months.

With the airframe hours and spares situation the way they are not to mention things like resource black holes such as the B-21 and F-35 programs, I have to wonder if the remaining B-1Bs can be kept in service another ten years.

I didn’t realize B-1s were expected to last a decade. I thought B-21 would begin replacing them as soon as it entered service, which would mean an ever decreasing fleet size from the late 2020s on. Already there are only 24 combat coded machines to the best of my knowledge. Is the AGM-183 ever going to be purchased in such numbers such that the B-52 fleet couldn’t deliver enough of them? It seems unlikely for a missile that looks to cost north of $10 million. HACM is even further down the development road; it seems unlikely to be adopted before the B-1s are already starting to be withdrawn.

With the airframe hours and spares situation the way they are not to mention things like resource black holes such as the B-21 and F-35 programs, I have to wonder if the remaining B-1Bs can be kept in service another ten years.
Was the plan to fit the B-1's with an AESA radar also canned?

The B-1 never had a good serviceability rate. It had had huge avionics issues even when it just entered service and I don’t think it’s ECM ever delivered. The engines I think were always touchy and variable geometry introduced another point of failure.
That is not an entirely accurate statement @Josh_TN, to be fair that does properly describe most of the service life of the aircraft. There are, however, notable exceptions to the general rule. During the 90's congress funded a study which required Ellsworth to receive the mandated spares and support they were supposed to receive. Throughout the duration of the study they were able to maintain the required MC rate. The second notable occurrence was 2002-2005, which were the years I was at Dyess. We broke the records for sustained high MC rates that have never again been replicated. Why? They retired the 83's and 84's and we had spare parts, by 2005 the well had run dry and it was regression back to the mean.

Sustainment is nowhere near as sexy as procurement and those holding the purse strings have short memories.
Wait, wait, wait. So you're saying when you actually give people the spares they're supposed to get they can, you know, keep the aircraft flying? No. Way. So it's less that the B-1B is the dog you'd have us believe it is and more they just didn't bother with required upkeep. That's hardly the aircraft's fault.

I thought B-21 would begin replacing them as soon as it entered service,
Replacing the B-2 first.

Also, this has been discussed for a couple years by the USAF. GSC demonstrated external carriage and launching of the JASSM last year, and they noted at the time the pylon(s) were configurable with different harnesses for different connector configs. Boeing was the contractor for those demos.

Wait, wait, wait. So you're saying when you actually give people the spares they're supposed to get they can, you know, keep the aircraft flying? No. Way. So it's less that the B-1B is the dog you'd have us believe it is and more they just didn't bother with required upkeep. That's hardly the aircraft's fault.
What you miss is that in 2002-2003 while they had the parts the jets were flying mostly 4 hour prof sorties, even the 2003 deployment was to Guam, so they were still mostly 4 hour prof sorties, life was good. By 2004 we left the Arabian peninsula bases for Diego and things trended down ever since. Those 20+ hour sorties with heavy fuel and bomb loads compounded by lack of spares made things ugly by 2005-2006. We burned through hours so fast that the phase dock had to double up to keep jets out in the sandbox. Since we used them so hard, there was always a lot more to fix. Engine failures also accelerated. I ran both of those shops and saw it up close 2003-2005.

Finally, it was a HD/LD fleet of 67 so every aft ECM compartment fire, nose gear collapse, ruined wing, hydraulic failure that caused the jet to taxi into a ditch catch fire and explode, turkey vulture that took out an ECM radome spilling 10,000 lbs of JP-8 on the ground, or my favorite, engine that fell off of a jet over Afghanistan took limited jets off the ramp forever or in other cases for well over a year.

Last edited:
As a kid, I remember seeing a B-1B flying over a grain elevator. We were delivering wheat to grain silo. It was in August 1989 or 1990. McConnell AFB was where they were based out of at the time. I think they liked using the silos as simulated targets.

220418-F-DD225-002.JPG

80 year anniversary of the Doolittle Raid.

Last edited:
View attachment 683872
No no that not what will happen.

Remember this is a B1.

You need to Photoshop about...

10 more of those bombs on that photo.
That's a real picture. No photoshop necessary. (It was a test, not an actual attack on a foreign boat.)