• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

American Secret Projects 2: Airlifters Hardcover – April 30, 2019

Caravellarella

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I haven't found any typos or layout errors yet (unlike previous titles from the same publishers who were evidently editor-less)...

Myriad C-74 projects to savour on the road to the C-124 :)

Terry (Caravellarella)

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I got my copy of Volume 2....FINALLY!

The first two chapters of this book talk about the history of US airlift and the challenges with airlifter design in loading, operational setting, powerplants, et cetera.

Vahe Demirjian

Reaction score
Have my copy since this morning thanks to the excellent services
of Standaard Boekhandel Belgium (31.95Eu)

Wonderfull book!

P.S : Boeing C-127 project is not mentioned nor illustrated it seems...

Correction : Boeing C-127 is not mentioned in he indexpages but a bit text appears
on page 158. " .... It has been suggested that the model 493 was given the designation C-127
but this is not borne out by AirForce sources..."
On pages 158 and 162 you'll find that C-127 was given to the C-124B turboprop version of the C-124 Globemaster II.

elmayerle

Reaction score
Mine arrived last Thursday and I'm finding it most enjoyable reading. The first two chapters make for an interesting comparison with another book, Air Mobility: A Brief History of the American Experience by Robert C. Own which I picked up at my local Half-Price Books. The latter book does frame matters quite nicely. The book is available on Amazon at reasonable prices and I can recommend it highly.

Last edited:

aim9xray

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
ASP2: Airlifters is now listed as "In Stock" on Amazon US and the expected discount is now available.

kaiserd

Reaction score
Congrats to George Cox & Craig Kaston on their book, read my copy cover to cover and highly recommend it.
I’m not really a transport aircraft guy but this book deals with a fascinating period where the ultimate in piston engines and straight winged technology slowly gives way to jets of various kinds and swept wings, and the modern concept of airlifters evolves.
Even just the content on what lead to the B707 & DC-8 made buying the book worth while.

Last edited:

Sundog

Reaction score
This is an amazing addition to this series. There were quite a few more design studies than I was expecting and it is far more interesting then I thought it would be. I highly recommend this book and now I'm even more excited for volume 3.