Akka - Link&fly podded transport plane

"ejectable pod with breaking rockets", then doesn't actually show the rockets angled clear of the fuselage. Whoops.

But on more serious economics grounds, a single one of these flying a passenger route needs three fuselages: the one you're about to load, the one you're about to unload, and the one you left at the other end. It's better if you have two aircraft flying the route, they can get away with two fuselages each, but that's going to weigh against its viability on 'thin' routes.

Oh, and two or three cabin crews, because you need crews to enplane and deplane the passengers in the cabins on the ground.

Plus, how do you serve the pilot their dinner with no access to the cockpit ;)

"ejectable pod with breaking rockets", then doesn't actually show the rockets angled clear of the fuselage. Whoops.

But on more serious economics grounds, a single one of these flying a passenger route needs three fuselages: the one you're about to load, the one you're about to unload, and the one you left at the other end. It's better if you have two aircraft flying the route, they can get away with two fuselages each, but that's going to weigh against its viability on 'thin' routes.

Oh, and two or three cabin crews, because you need crews to enplane and deplane the passengers in the cabins on the ground.

Plus, how do you serve the pilot their dinner with no access to the cockpit ;)

Bah... time to impose installation of minibars for sandwiches (and drinks) in cockpits :p
the rockets made me laugh.

I can see that being adopted for cargo, but it will be another 20 or 30 years before NATO civilians are ready to land via parachute and braking rockets. That reminds us waaaaay too much of cold War USSR paratroopers!

In the next 20 years, I expect to see courier companies employ airplanes that lay one cargo container on the taxiway, then taxi forward over top of the next cargo container. … sort of like a Fairchild Packet.

before NATO civilians are ready to land via parachute and braking rockets.

I think that 'landing' mode is purely for use in an emergency situation, although I don't think the flightdeck crew would too pleased about being unable to 'abandon ship', and having to 'go down with their vessel' . . . :p

cheers,
Robin.

Back
Top Bottom