Aircraft Mock-up pictures and info!!

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
For a long time I have had a fascination for aircraft mock-ups.

I find it interesting the per-manufacturing modifications which derive from the manufacturers original perception/interpretation of a given military specification / requirement to that of the military's operational knowledge/perception of what needs to be modified on the design, before the time, effort and dollars are committed before serious production would be granted!

In many cases this can range from simplistic internal or cosmetic differences to that of the original mock-up. In other cases it could derive major modifications, which can literally transform the production aircraft to be very different from that of the original mock-up.

In particular, I have found it fascinating as to what has/is coming out of the former Soviet Union, which up until recently would not have reached the light of day, what with such things being deemed as State secrets.

I wish to invite, and encourage the wealth of knowledge and resources that this forum members have to share with fellow aircraft enthusiast what they have on military aircraft mock-ups - many of which are/were classed as Secret Projects.

As it was this design which prompted and encouraged this topic, whilst surfing this forum, I wish to start this topic of with:
1/ The mock-up of the Soviet Myasishchev VM-28 high-altitude derivative of it's M4/3M strategic bomber.

2/ The mock-up of the Antonov An-12 transport/cargo aircraft.

3/ The mock-up of the Myasishchev M-52a supersonic bomber project

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Antonov An-12 'Cub' mockup.jpg
    Antonov An-12 'Cub' mockup.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
Whilst we are on the topic of mock-ups, I would like to know if their was ever a mock-up of the Dassault Mirage IVB built?

The Dassault Mirage IVB design significantly larger than the actual selected and operationally deployed Mirage IVA, and was to have been powered by two SNECMA license-built Pratt & Whitney J75 engines and having a wing area of 120 m² (1,290 sq ft) compared to 70 m² (750 sq ft) of the prototype IV. This aircraft was to have a speed of Mach 2.4 and weigh 140,000 lb gross, but was cancelled in July 1959 due to cost.

I've always wondered if it ever got to mock-up stage? If so does anyone have any pics :eek:

Regards
Pioneer

Last edited:
I've always found this as a gold mind, when I first joined Secret Projects Forum!

It's the Grumman G303E mock-up. Immediately visible is the single tail fin arrangement!

Regards
Pioneer

P.S. I'm still desperately hoping that one day we will find out if Fairchild-Republic built a mock-up of its proposed 'FX' (F-15) design submission!!

Attachments

• Grumman 303 mockup.jpg
    Grumman 303 mockup.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 454
Boeing said they made a Mock up of there ATF aircraft I would love to see it.

G'day gents

Just adding to my wishlist of aircraft mock-ups if I can:
- MiG-23K carrier-based variant of the MiG-23ML flogger
-
Tupolev Tu-22M Backfire
-
Ilyushin IL-76 Candid
-
Tupolev Tu-88 (Tu-16 Badger)
- Sukhoi Su-24K - carrier-based variant of the Su-24 Fencer, intended for operation from the planned
Project 1160 class aircraft carrier.

And here is some more mock-ups I would like to share!
1/ The Mil Mi-24B Hind mockup
2/ BAe-Warton P-103 STOVL fighter mockup (I've always loved this design)
3/ Yakovlev Yak-44E carrier-borne AEW aircraft mockup

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• BAe-Warton P-103 STOVL fighter mockup.jpg
    BAe-Warton P-103 STOVL fighter mockup.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Yakovlev Yak-44E carrier-based AEW aircraft mockup.jpg
    Yakovlev Yak-44E carrier-based AEW aircraft mockup.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 78