Aircraft Engines of the World, pre 1946

Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Does anyone own the editions, authored by Paul Wilkinson, up `till 1946? Do they include projected powerplants or just present running engines? I am mostly interested in german engines from the Argus and Bramo stable, as well as the BMW liquid-cooled inverted vee`s.

Checked the catalogue of the States Library Berlin, several post-war volumes are available,
but the only one, that could be pre-1945 (no year given in the title) is stated as "lost" ... :-[

I`ve found some 1945 and 1946 editions on sale, and price isn`t the issue if these books contain the stuff I want, but first I need to know what`s inside :-\ .

The books mostly contain information on engines in production or in testing. There is typically not much on planned (unbuilt) or then-secret engines. There may be a brief mention in the country by county introduction, but not a full page.

Argus AS 10
Argus AS 410
Bramo Sh 14A
Bramo Fafnir 323

No 1942 or 1943 were printed

Argus AS 10
Argus AS 410
Bramo Sh 14A
Bramo Fafnir 323

Argus AS 10
Argus AS 410
Bramo Fafnir 323

As you can see, not much on the manufacturers you are interested in. What is contained consists of a one page photo and engine specifications on the facing page.

Thanks for your kind reply, Bill. I very much enjoy your Old Machine Press blog.

Hello Bill, that is a rather disappointing book on Argus. I got it and dispached it fast. Thanks anyway.