• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

AIM-260

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
Neither Meteor nor AIM-120D really have an answer for towed or other advanced expendable decoys.
You need time for the seeker to discriminate between the decoys and aircraft with even say (clean) Super Hornet
levels of signature reduction.

Ideally that discrimination would be achieved by IIR which wants slower missile speeds for thermal reasons or
MMW which because of the narrower beam width needs more time to cover the same handover volume
as a lower frequency seeker.

So one approach to buying time is coasting to seeker takeover at comparatively slow speeds (good thermally for IIR),
discriminating and then boosting for end-game.

marauder2048

Reaction score
[Another concern it raises is with the choice of JP10 for the FMRAAM sustainer, suggesting that the corrosive properties of this fuel cause doubts about suitability for long-term storage.

Sorry. I missed this. JP-10 has been shown to have a shelf-life of 30 years in missiles. Even at the time it was known to be at least 18 years. So this was utter FUD.

SpudmanWP

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The DoD is constantly upgrading the ECCM capabilities of the AMRAAM so towed decoys might not be as big of an issue as you think.

That being said, I agree that a dual-mode seeker is a much better option.

marauder2048

Reaction score
The DoD is constantly upgrading the ECCM capabilities of the AMRAAM so towed decoys might not be as big of an issue as you think.

That being said, I agree that a dual-mode seeker is a much better option.
Sure. There are advanced signal processing techniques that, for example, try to discriminate based on subtle
differences in decoy and platform velocities.

But there really are no generalized ECCMs for active* microwave seekers against advanced towed decoys beyond
trajectory shaping and/or a bigger warhead.

* I'll leave out track-via-missile and other two-way datalink enabled off-board assistance from the firing platform.

Forest Green

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
You might be better off firing a MALD-J at the AEW (I am assuming you meant AWACS) as it has a massive range advantage over a Meteor, it can do it's own jamming, and it runs cool enough to not trigger MAWS on the way in. Put a IIR seeker & a 20lb warhead in it and you are golden as a way to take out ISR, IFR, AEW, AWACS, etc.
True but a MALD-based weapon doesn't have the versatility for use in other A2A roles.

Jeb

Reaction score
A 2-stage CUDA would allow you to fill both needs. 2-stage for long range, single-stage for packing them in. One missile for both missions for cost effectiveness. (I'd want them to use a finless booster 8"-10" dia. if they could fit them in without taking more than a single AIM-120 equivalent spot.)
I just had a fun idea for a flexible missile system. Set up a two-stage missile but have the design such that if you needed a short-range engagement, the launcher could separate the stages and each one could operate as an independent short-range missile, but for long range, the stages remained linked and the "boost" stage would just self-destruct after the "terminal" stage was separated and boosting on its own.

TomS

Reaction score
A 2-stage CUDA would allow you to fill both needs. 2-stage for long range, single-stage for packing them in. One missile for both missions for cost effectiveness. (I'd want them to use a finless booster 8"-10" dia. if they could fit them in without taking more than a single AIM-120 equivalent spot.)
I just had a fun idea for a flexible missile system. Set up a two-stage missile but have the design such that if you needed a short-range engagement, the launcher could separate the stages and each one could operate as an independent short-range missile, but for long range, the stages remained linked and the "boost" stage would just self-destruct after the "terminal" stage was separated and boosting on its own.
That's a two-stage missile dragging along a lot of redundant sensors, control units, steering actuators, warheads/lethality enhancers, etc.

SpudmanWP

Reaction score
That's a two-stage missile dragging along a lot of redundant sensors, control units, steering actuators, warheads/lethality enhancers, etc.
How will it have twice the warhead, sensors, etc?

The duplication in booster-related gimbaled TVC is more than made up by the increased efficiency once the booster is jettisoned. This is why the naval Standard series of SAMs uses boosters instead of single, giant SAMs.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
How will it have twice the warhead, sensors, etc?

The duplication in booster-related gimbaled TVC is more than made up by the increased efficiency once the booster is jettisoned. This is why the naval Standard series of SAMs uses boosters instead of single, giant SAMs.
He was suggesting a booster that could also act as a missile.

Reactions: Jeb

SpudmanWP

Reaction score
ah.. ok

That's what I get for not reading ALL of the posts ;)

Forest Green

Reaction score
How about 1 missile that carries 5 or 6 independently targetable explosive darts that all seek out the cockpit of their given target fighter?

sferrin

Reaction score
Sounds unnecessarily complicated.

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score

sferrin

Reaction score