Aeroplane Special TSR.2

F-14D

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
I suspect in honor of the 50th anniversary of the 1st flight of TSR.2 (technically the 50th would be on Sept. 27), Aeroplane magazine has put out a 114 page special devoted solely to this aircraft as part of their large format Aeroplane Icons series. http://www.kelseyshop.co.uk/store/displayitem.asp?sid=6408&id=78499

Just started reading it. If you are familiar with the story, not that much new is added, although I found the chapter on the Australian misadventure enlightening, and some new nuances are added to the internal English machinations and the role of Lord Mountbatten. What is new is that there is a slew of photographs and detailed drawings I haven't seen before, some of which are clearly from the BAC archives. For example, a detailed drawing of the centerline buddy refueling store, which didn't just trail a drogue but actually had an expendable arm from which the hose streamed. There also excellent drawings of the aircraft, various stores, and modifications, including the BAC proposal for a variant that could convert back and forth between a strike version and a dual control trainer with a single piece bubble canopy. The authors note that this would have been impractical in the real world.

Along with a number of photos that have been seen before, there are a bunch that are, at least to me, new. These include shots of the various stores and how they wold be carried, including nuclear and conventional in the weapons bay. I especially enjoyed the excellent cockpit shots (in the mockup), some of which are new to me. One in particular shows a crewmember in the rear seat and how crowded it was.

It's 9.95 pounds (I don't know how to show that),on the website, although mine is marked 7.95, and $19.95 US. If you're fond of this aircraft, it's definitely worth the cost.